FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Snack Attack (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1957105-snack-attack.html)

danielonn Feb 19, 2019 10:23 am

Snack Attack

Stopped in at Dollar Tree for Milk Duds and Honey Roasted Peanuts. Total $2. A great place for flight snacks. Trail mix chips nuts.

nsx Feb 19, 2019 11:35 am

BYOP. That's the ticket.

DCP2016 Feb 19, 2019 1:08 pm

Yup, I stand by BYOP now. Usually cashews for me.

kennycrudup Feb 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Same. Bulk dry-roasted and salted peanuts redispensed into gallon ZipLoc bags.

NoStressHere Feb 19, 2019 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 30797735)
Stopped in at Dollar Tree for Milk Duds and Honey Roasted Peanuts. Total $2. A great place for flight snacks. Trail mix chips nuts.

Just a guess... but I am guessing you are talking about getting snacks before your flight.

Why post something without a bit more detail?

joshua362 Feb 19, 2019 5:58 pm

FWIW, I recently noticed that Dollar Tree is the way to go as all items and snacks are truly priced at a dollar. Other "dollar" stores, even those with "dollar" in their name, price their goods at way more than a dollar!

TomMM Feb 19, 2019 7:05 pm

I hear Airbus might be having a clearance sale on the remainder of their A380s if you want to pick up a cheap ride.

danielonn Feb 19, 2019 7:40 pm

BYOP is the way to go. Southwest probably spent 50 cents for 10 nuts.

nsx Feb 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 30799592)
BYOP is the way to go. Southwest probably spent 50 cents for 10 nuts.

Amazon sells a whole year's worth: "Planters Single Serve Salted Peanuts, 1 oz. Bags (Pack of 144)" for $22.47 plus tax. Buy that, then before each trip grab your nuts.

smmrfld Feb 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Dollar Tree is one of the worst values for snacks. Products are packaged just for that retailer and are generally not a good deal.

expert7700 Feb 20, 2019 1:52 am

you can also buy straight from Southwest's former supplier (I bet they have LOTS of extra capaicty and could negotiate a better deal)

honey roasted year round!
same century-old packing equipment. (will you get a bag of dust/sugar, seven peanuts, or thirty?)
https://shop.kingnut.com/Honey-Roast...bags-P565.aspx

Critterlynn Feb 20, 2019 4:49 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 30799271)
Just a guess... but I am guessing you are talking about getting snacks before your flight.

Why post something without a bit more detail?

What more detail do you want? You want to know if he got his snacks before his flight as opposed to durring?

NoStressHere Feb 20, 2019 8:30 am

Oh.. if we are talking about taking snacks on a plane.

Our little "computer type" bag always has a bag of goodies. These are for the plane or when getting up in a strange hotel room at 6am and hungry with no real options. We always have some stuff in the pantry at home to stock up from. We try to do somewhat healthy stuff, but not always.

If flight is over 2-3 hours, we also get a sub in the airport.

And, if anyone cares, we get most of this stuff at Sams.

scott_w Feb 20, 2019 11:35 am

I go to Walgreens, buy a couple of bags of Combos for $4, put them in a Ziploc bag, good to go!

returnoftheyeti Feb 22, 2019 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by scott_w (Post 30802011)
I go to Walgreens, buy a couple of bags of Combos for $4, put them in a Ziploc bag, good to go!

the ziplock is the key here. Combos bags suck.

Also, if you are forced to buy from a vending machine at the last minute, pop-tarts always have the best calories per dollar value going.