Search

Horrible Southwest Refund Practice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Can't be any less effective than complaining about it here.
Anything wrong to share with other members??
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by RedSun
You think this is a good practice??

Now I have a $200 UA travel voucher that expiring in Aug-2019. As I understand, I can use the voucher before expiration for travel any time. This is more generous than the WN's policy that the travel has to be completed before the expiration. I'm not saying UA is better than WN, but for the travel fund alone, it is better.
I don't think it's a good customer service practice, but from a business sense it makes sense. Free changes and cancellations is great for the customer, but WN has to maintain some control over it. As others have said, unused funds essentially subsidizes their no change fee policy.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the original $4.00 savings per person correct or a typo?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:16 pm

As long as we are giving a "heads up" to those that aren't familiar with WN's policies, I will add that trying find these funds was very difficult my first time. I thought it would show up in my account when I logged in, but I believe I had to have some reference number to access them.

I am sure it was explained somewhere, but I finally found the info on an old email and was able to use it. If it is still like that, keep that info easily available. If different now, please share the trick!!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Not at all. You do the community a service to bring the subject up, once again. What many object to are 'horrible' and 'blindsided' . It is good that people on this forum who are not familiar with the rules, be reminded of the rules.

However, the opinion of many including myself is that this rule is not horrible.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Not at all. You do the community a service to bring the subject up, once again. What many object to are 'horrible' and 'blindsided' . It is good that people on this forum who are not familiar with the rules, be reminded of the rules.

However, the opinion of many including myself is that this rule is not horrible.
Certainly it is your opinion. You can start a thread to say this is not horrible.

To me, bypassing the Fed 24-hour cancellation consumer protection is horrible business practice. As quite some pointed out, this is WN's own way to extract "travel funds" from consumers to compensate itself for the cancellation fees revenues WN loses.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by TomMM
Is the original $4.00 savings per person correct or a typo?
I have refared reservations for less. It's easy to Change Reservation to the same flight and set the difference aside for possible later use.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sorry, but anytime you cancel something, it tells you about right there.

Compare that policy to Delta, United, American, etc. etc.
They are mostly more generous when it comes to credit. For example on UA, if you change a ticket and the new one is less, you get an ETC for the balance which is valid one year from date of original purchase (same as SWA) but can be used by anyone.

Anytime within that year, you can purchase a new ticket anytime before end of schedule. No restrictions on traveling before the original year is out. And if you then change that ticket, you get an ETC good for another year.

Of course, you’re paying a $200 change fee each time, but there’s ways to get out of that (schedule change, etc.)

Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:55 am

To be honest, I did not know of all this when I did the bookings. Or I would not have bothered with the re-bookings. To make it even worse, I changed the Dec-2018 booking and cancelled within two hours. Then the new $$ was comingled with the old $15 Travel Fund. I thought I'd get all payment back since this was cancelled within 24 hours.

As most of you have stated, SW has its T&C. And the SW agent was adamant of following its refund policy. She said the refund policy is much better than other major airlines. I agreed to some extend. But I figure there are just a lot of SW tiny small prints behind its "industry generous" refund policy. I just figure some of the SW advertisement is mis-leading. Consumer have to learn the hard ways....
One important question we should ask ourselves is that, who understand fully the Fed's 24-hour airline cancellation policy? I think it was erected to protect consumer to put the booking (pricing) on hold for 24-hours without incurring any penalty. WN's travel fund practice in this case clearly carries the penalty of 9 months out of the 12-month period.
You mention the 'small print' a lot.

So, looking around the website: If you went solely on their leading headline on their main page, then yes, I can see why you're upset. Except - it doesn't lay out anything regarding reusing the funds or their expiration at all. If you go to this page: https://www.southwest.com/html/why-fly-southwest/index.html , then it gives slightly more detail, but again, nothing regarding reusing available funds. When you get to this page: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/purchasing-and-refunds/refund-info-pol.html , it lays out all the terms and conditions of getting refunds and the terms of refusing funds.

Now, here's the thing - other than the large headlines, all the 'small print' you're complaining about is the same size from page to page. In fact, if anything, Southwest helpfully bolds the section header. I mean, look at this:

For nonrefundable reservations within 24 hours of booking:
  • If you call or cancel online at Southwest.com within 24 hours of booking, Southwest will offer you the option of refunding the airfare back to the original form of payment, or retaining the credit to be used toward future travel. If you purchased all or part of the reservation using a Southwest gift card or a Southwest LUV Voucher and cancelled the reservation within 24 hours of booking, contact Customer Relations.
It is plainly clear as day what to do. You didn't even have to read the lengthy carriage contract. All you had to do was glance at Southwest's easy to follow page summarizing what to do!

Just like to share this and at least I learnt something from it. I never before posted at WN forum and I thought WN is the easiest airline to fly with...
If you were a first time poster on the forum, I could understand your confusion a little. Many new people don't realize they can use the search function. But you're a well-traveled poster on these forums. No doubt you've seen people post questions that have been answered numerous times. It would've taken just a few moments to see if others have had the same experiences.

But more importantly, this is what I took away from this comment: You just jumped on, wrote a lengthy complaint, and was 'surprised' at the police and some of the responses. You didn't look at anything anyone else may have said in the past...you just wrote your comments. What did you do when you wanted to cancel and refare your tickets with Southwest? You didn't look at anything on the website in regards to their policies....you just did what you wanted to do.

Your entire beef with Southwest had nothing to do with their "small print". You've demonstrated a history of just doing something without even a shred of basic research to see what you actually need to do to successfully accomplish what you're trying to do!
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On FT "fine print" does not mean a small font, but any language which disfavors the position being discussed.

At the same time, WN's 24-hour refund policy is 100% in compliance with federal law. In fact, it exceeds what is required.
nsx, lougord99 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
At the same time, WN's 24-hour refund policy is 100% in compliance with federal law. In fact, it exceeds what is required.
Is this the fact or only your opinion??
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Is this the fact or only your opinion??
Laws are not facts, they are laws,

Read the law. Read WN's policy and let us know in what way WN fails to comply.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Laws are not facts, they are laws,

Read the law. Read WN's policy and let us know in what way WN fails to comply.
You are an attorney at Flyertalk? If this is your opinion, just say it....
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:59 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
WN's 24-hour refund policy is 100% in compliance with federal law. In fact, it exceeds what is required.
Primarily: WN allows refund within 24 hours even if your travel date was less than 7 days from the booking date.
kennycrudup and Often1 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended

You are an attorney at Flyertalk? If this is your opinion, just say it....
OK, plain English. Take a look at the red bolded language below and you form your own opinion as to whether the WN policy complies with the DOT rule. If you pay with a cash (equivalent), you are refunded in that form.

For nonrefundable reservations within 24 hours of booking:
  • If you call or cancel online at Southwest.com within 24 hours of booking, Southwest will offer you the option of refunding the airfare back to the original form of payment, or retaining the credit to be used toward future travel. If you purchased all or part of the reservation using a Southwest gift card or a Southwest LUV Voucher and cancelled the reservation within 24 hours of booking, contact Customer Relations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.