FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Southwest declares operations 'emergency' amid labor dispute with mechanics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1956558-southwest-declares-operations-emergency-amid-labor-dispute-mechanics.html)

steved5480 Feb 15, 2019 11:25 pm

Southwest declares operations 'emergency' amid labor dispute with mechanics

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ft/2886285002/

Tanic Feb 15, 2019 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480 (Post 30784778)
Southwest declares operations 'emergency' amid labor dispute with mechanics

And with that declaration, GK will commence building very beautiful and powerful walls around each maintenance hangar. :D

NauticalWheeler Feb 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 30784812)
And with that declaration, GK will commence building very beautiful and powerful walls around each maintenance hangar. :D

​​​​​Southwest management took a play from the GOAT POTUS!

LegalTender Feb 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler (Post 30786593)
​​​​​Southwest management took a play from the GOAT POTUS!

You're referring to the "capitulation of airworthiness and a culture of fear and retribution" part?

DCP2016 Feb 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 30784812)

....and make Delta Air Lines pay for it. :D

ursine1 Feb 16, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm doing this from now on. Whenever I need to get my way I'm just going to declare a personal "emergency."

roundtree Feb 16, 2019 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 30787180)
I'm doing this from now on. Whenever I need to get my way I'm just going to declare a personal "emergency."

Don't forget that it only works when your way is the right way.

ursine1 Feb 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree (Post 30787531)
Don't forget that it only works when your way is the right way.

I was, of course, being facetious. Because, of course, the chances of this strategy actually working in pretty much any scenario are very low.

roundtree Feb 17, 2019 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 30787883)
I was, of course, being facetious. Because, of course, the chances of this strategy actually working in pretty much any scenario are very low.

Indeed, so was I. The level of tribalism that we see certainly makes it hard to be anything but offended, it seems. If we can't laugh about it every once in a while, what's the point? :)

drooley Feb 17, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm curious, is this expected to be an ongoing problem this week?
I've got a flight on Thursday, OAK-->DAL. I hope the dust settles by then.

LegalTender Feb 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by drooley (Post 30789766)
I'm curious, is this is expected to be an ongoing problem this week?
I've got a flight on Thursday, OAK-->DAL. I hope the dust settles by then.

Guessing no one knows. Probably not even the accomplished team of experts in flight operations.

Insulator-King Feb 17, 2019 2:46 pm

And here's the article on Daily Mail.
Always fun to read the comments.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nded-jets.html

satman40 Feb 17, 2019 8:13 pm

Unions are a good thing, and also a bad thing,

Amazing how thing go wrong, and their members are less than 2 weeks from being broke, yet the Union Heads have millions with nothing invested,,and far larger paychecks,

When a loyal member passes away, the sent his family $250.00 to help with the funeral expenses, that paid his dues, and thought they cared,,

rufflesinc Feb 18, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 30787180)

That's how it works in most workplaces. If you have a family "emergency" you get (paid?) time off. White collar workplaces don't usually require "documentation"

roundtree Feb 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc (Post 30793384)
That's how it works in most workplaces. If you have a family "emergency" you get (paid?) time off. White collar workplaces don't usually require "documentation"

I would expect that most employers would start requiring documentation if one specific classification of employees starting doubling their rate of calling in sick.

Personally, I don't think Southwest is trying to "break" the union, but it certainly doesn't seem as though both sides are negotiating in good faith.