Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest declares operations 'emergency' amid labor dispute with mechanics

Southwest declares operations 'emergency' amid labor dispute with mechanics

Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I hope you email them for money. I would go for $300 LUV voucher on this.

If they have to keep giving money away, maybe they will actually settle this dispute.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:54 pm

Will do, just wish I had taken a screenshot of FlightAware 12 hours ago. If Southwest would have been honest at that time I could have flown out of BWI or IAD hours ago and already home. Ive now got 4 more hours just at the airport
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:03 pm

FlightAware now showing what might be a replacement flight? Its also still showing the delayed flight DCA-ATL

Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:12 pm

Looks like well be walking the lengrh of the ATL terminals

Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:27 pm

Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:48 pm

Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:48 pm

Southwest reports NO delays today. Zero.

Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Gold
Just arrived MKE on the way to CLE from MCI SW 523 at 10:00am on time..
​The second leg of the ​​​r flight has been delayed for 3 hours. We were told they need the aircraft we flew from MCI on for a Las Vegas flight. I have my doubts. Could be this labor slowdown. This messes up my plans big time.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
@Reuters: Southwest takes mechanics union to Court
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
That's the airline's claim. Mechanics offer "hard data" that SWA rejects offers to work overtime to clear the backlog. There's no winner here.

200 flights cancelled today. Flying 95% may be the new normal.

They flew a couple flights to off network MX VCV and PAE to recover. Pilots aren't thinking this is a labor action.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
it is NOT a labor action.

Originally Posted by Flythefuture
They flew a couple flights to off network MX VCV and PAE to recover. Pilots aren't thinking this is a labor action.
This is not a job action. This is weather, and mechanical delays being blamed on the employees whose very jobs Mr. Kelly is trying to outsource. This is a management tactic to make the mechanics look bad, and get the public on the companys side. These mechanics are overworked, being denied overtime, and have the lowest ratio of mechanics per plane than any other airline in the industry-and Mr. Kelly wants to outsource even more of their jobs to South and Centeal America. LUV suing its own employees? Someone is ruining Herbs airline-and it aint the mechanics.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:34 am

You know what will cause Kelly to make a deal?

A crash.

Pissed off mechanics, overworked mechanics, and intimidated mechanics overlook things and make mistakes. Yes the system has redundancy but you cant tell me the odds of an accident arent higher now than they would be absent this dispute.

Southwest right now reminds me of Alaska around the year 2000....
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Ditka

This is not a job action. This is weather, and mechanical delays being blamed on the employees whose very jobs Mr. Kelly is trying to outsource. This is a management tactic to make the mechanics look bad, and get the public on the companys side. These mechanics are overworked, being denied overtime, and have the lowest ratio of mechanics per plane than any other airline in the industry-and Mr. Kelly wants to outsource even more of their jobs to South and Centeal America. LUV suing its own employees? Someone is ruining Herbs airline-and it aint the mechanics.
Herb would have never let this happen. Antithesis of just about everything Herb stood for...

Its not just about money...

Herb mastered the relationship: trust, respect, and common purpose which leads to deals. Kelly clearly has lost all of this with his mechanics.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Herb would have never let this happen. Antithesis of just about everything Herb stood for...

Its not just about money...

Herb mastered the relationship: trust, respect, and common purpose which leads to deals. Kelly clearly has lost all of this with his mechanics.
The airline industry has changed significantly since Herb started LUV. While I am no fan of Kelly or his tactics, LUV is now a $30 billion public company, his primary responsibility is to shareholders. I highly doubt Herb's approach would generate the returns demanded by today's institutional investors.
The belief that WN is "too big to fail", faithful will blindly remain loyal allow Kelly to act with impunity when dealing with labor. It will take a major, catastrophic event to force a significant change, carnage (figurative or literal) will be significant.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Originally Posted by diver858
The airline industry has changed significantly since Herb started LUV. While I am no fan of Kelly or his tactics, LUV is now a $30 billion public company, his primary responsibility is to shareholders. I highly doubt Herb's approach would generate the returns demanded by today's institutional investors.
The belief that WN is "too big to fail", faithful will blindly remain loyal allow Kelly to act with impunity when dealing with labor. It will take a major, catastrophic event to force a significant change, carnage (figurative or literal) will be significant.
SWA has not faced many of the pitfalls that other airlines have faced-either by luck, or because of the goodwill of their employees (for example, having their employees pay for the companys gas during the Persian Gulf War). When the other airlines were devastated by 9-11, Swa benefitted greatly and grew significantly, fuel hedging was obviously a huge benefit at that time...but since then theyve lost hundreds of millions of dollars hedging....Unfortunately that employee goodwill and good fortune has put the airline in a bubble, where they believe they are immune from the pitfalls that have affected big airline-those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it (or something like that)
but the bigger question is how does Southwest Airlines go from a company whose employees purchased the companys fuel, to an airline that sues its own employees?
lougord99 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.