Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest declares operations 'emergency' amid labor dispute with mechanics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest declares operations 'emergency' amid labor dispute with mechanics

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
These issues were unthinkable under Herb's leadership.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:31 am

This standoff smells like it’s going to escalate, unfortunately:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ches-fifth-day
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
This standoff smells like it’s going to escalate, unfortunately:

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ches-fifth-day
Uh-oh....
Has anyone here had a personal experience with delayed flights or cancellations this week?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by drooley
Uh-oh....
Has anyone here had a personal experience with delayed flights or cancellations this week?
Yep, I did last night trying to get home. Ended up delayed and then further delayed with an aircraft/gate swap. Once on the plane, the first overhead bid was taped (securely) shut due to faulty latches, and a mechanic came on board to apparently re-tape it. Once he was done taking about five minutes to replace two pieces of tape, he took a further 15 minutes to show back up with paperwork for tape. The pilots were less than pleased, as we were already behind schedule.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Tanic
These issues were unthinkable under Herb's leadership.
Union contracts have been going past their amendable dates at Southwest for a long, long time. (See the annual reports. I went back to 2002.) If you mean employees being willing to trash the company's reputation to get what they want, yes, that seems new.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:33 am

I caught this gem on the local Fox station's coverage...

" The 400 cancellations Wednesday represents about 10 percent of Southwest’s scheduled flights out of Love Field."
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aaronp84
Yep, I did last night trying to get home. Ended up delayed and then further delayed with an aircraft/gate swap. Once on the plane, the first overhead bid was taped (securely) shut due to faulty latches, and a mechanic came on board to apparently re-tape it. Once he was done taking about five minutes to replace two pieces of tape, he took a further 15 minutes to show back up with paperwork for tape. The pilots were less than pleased, as we were already behind schedule.
Yeah, I would not put it past WN mechanics to screw around like this, or in conceivably worse ways.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by OPNLguy
I caught this gem on the local Fox station's coverage...

" The 400 cancellations Wednesday represents about 10 percent of Southwest’s scheduled flights out of Love Field."
Fox4 Dallas aircheck and transcript don’t match that.

Southwest blames recent cancellations on weather, mechanical issues - Story | KDFW

Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Statement from Southwest Airlines

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...ike-van-de-ven

Statement from Southwest Airlines Chief Operating Officer, Mike Van de Ven

Feb 19, 2019

Southwest has been negotiating with Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA), which represents our nearly 2,400 mechanics, for more than six years. We are extremely proud of our Mechanics, which is why we were glad to offer them a tentative agreement with an industry-leading pay package last fall that our Mechanics did not approve. We are anxious to reward them, we have been actively engaged in ongoing mediated negotiations since then and we have enhanced our previous contract offer.

On Feb. 12, just days after our last negotiations session with AMFA, we experienced an unprecedented number of out-of-service aircraft in four specific maintenance locations despite no change in our maintenance programs, no changes in leadership, and no changes in our policies and procedures. We are committed to operating a safe fleet, and every report is investigated, which is why we issued a notice to require an "all hands" response to get out-of-service aircraft back into the fleet serving our Customers.
  • The out-of-service aircraft were driven primarily from four of our 20 maintenance locations and by a subset of our entire mechanic workforce.
  • The number of aircraft out of the fleet has driven cancellations, in some cases extremely long delays and other operational impacts over the last week.
  • Southwest utilizes a regular team of approved third-party vendors to help with our ongoing maintenance program. Currently, we are assigning as much scheduled maintenance program work to those providers as possible which allows our Southwest mechanics to work the increased workload of maintenance tasks they have identified.
AMFA has a history of work disruptions, and Southwest has two pending lawsuits against the union. We will be investigating this current disruption and exploring all possible remedies. Southwest prides itself on its reliability and works hard each day to get its Customers where they want to go. We apologize to our Customers who have been inconvenienced by this disruption.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender

Fox4 Dallas aircheck and transcript don’t match that.

Southwest blames recent cancellations on weather, mechanical issues - Story KDFW

They changed it after I called...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by steved5480
https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...ike-van-de-ven

Statement from Southwest Airlines Chief Operating Officer, Mike Van de Ven

Feb 19, 2019

Southwest has been negotiating with Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA), which represents our nearly 2,400 mechanics, for more than six years. We are extremely proud of our Mechanics, which is why we were glad to offer them a tentative agreement with an industry-leading pay package last fall that our Mechanics did not approve. We are anxious to reward them, we have been actively engaged in ongoing mediated negotiations since then and we have enhanced our previous contract offer.

On Feb. 12, just days after our last negotiations session with AMFA, we experienced an unprecedented number of out-of-service aircraft in four specific maintenance locations despite no change in our maintenance programs, no changes in leadership, and no changes in our policies and procedures. We are committed to operating a safe fleet, and every report is investigated, which is why we issued a notice to require an "all hands" response to get out-of-service aircraft back into the fleet serving our Customers.
  • The out-of-service aircraft were driven primarily from four of our 20 maintenance locations and by a subset of our entire mechanic workforce.
  • The number of aircraft out of the fleet has driven cancellations, in some cases extremely long delays and other operational impacts over the last week.
  • Southwest utilizes a regular team of approved third-party vendors to help with our ongoing maintenance program. Currently, we are assigning as much scheduled maintenance program work to those providers as possible which allows our Southwest mechanics to work the increased workload of maintenance tasks they have identified.
AMFA has a history of work disruptions, and Southwest has two pending lawsuits against the union. We will be investigating this current disruption and exploring all possible remedies. Southwest prides itself on its reliability and works hard each day to get its Customers where they want to go. We apologize to our Customers who have been inconvenienced by this disruption.
Union's response: AMFA

While I don't have access to the entire report, it appears FAs are concerned about maintenance https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...ts-safety.html, could not find anything from the Pilots Union.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by drooley
Uh-oh....
I guess it could be a coincidence, but my flight today was over 2 hours delayed. Aircraft was coming from Dallas and agents claimed maintenance issues caused the delay.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
All I know is that when I see finger pointing about safety issues instead of loud and clear communications about correcting, then you lost me. Buh bye greyhound cattle herding wonder of the sky.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:47 pm

I wonder why negative comments peak every time Southwest has a labor issue.
kennycrudup and steved5480 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:10 pm

The Motley Fool:

Southwest Airlines Needs to Make Peace With Its Mechanics ASAP

Southwest Airlines' desire to keep costs down is understandable. But the difference between the terms it is offering and what its mechanics would accept appears to be quite small compared to the airline's total earnings.

Thus, Southwest Airlines' negotiating strategy appears to be pennywise but pound-foolish. The company needs to prioritize protecting its reputation and its business plans -- and that means finalizing a generous contract for its mechanics as soon as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.