Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I Check In for next flight while onboard (without paying for WiFi)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:50 pm
Ted
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G

Hello All:

Will need to check in 24 hours prior to my return, which is while the outbound is in flight. Is this possible over in the in flight wi-fi, and is it necessary to pay for the wi-fi or is it free to access for this purpose?

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:54 pm

I believe you can access Southwest.com without paying.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
yes, you can get to Southwest site onboard. Make sure you have your flight info handy as your app may not work (no idea though).
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I may be confusing some threads, but I thought you were unable to check in for a return flight. ( though perhaps OP did it the right way and booked (2) 1-ways ) until your outbound flight was completed.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by lougord99
I may be confusing some threads, but I thought you were unable to check in for a return flight. ( though perhaps OP did it the right way and booked (2) 1-ways ) until your outbound flight was completed.
Negative. I check in all the time for return legs before outbound departure for same day and back flights. Previous flight status has no bearing on next flight check in.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by lougord99
Ah... a new twist...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by PAX62
Negative. I check in all the time for return legs before outbound departure for same day and back flights. Previous flight status has no bearing on next flight check in.
Thank you for correcting me. Why do you book round trips? There are many good reasons to book 1-ways.
NoStressHere, dlaue and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:00 pm

There was a system limitation with connecting flights, because Southwest only allowed 2 BPs at any given time. I'm not sure of that's still the case.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:25 am
Ted
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Thanks all for the responses.

It is a round trip, one segment outbound, one segment return.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I such a situation I would have a friend/relative check me in.

Just first/last/confirmation number.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I such a situation I would have a friend/relative check me in.

Just first/last/confirmation number.
I would have a friend check you in, also. Too many times I've been on a plane with Wi-Fi not working!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NextTrip
I would have a friend check you in, also. Too many times I've been on a plane with Wi-Fi not working!
The key word here is "also". Have done this a few times, but you are at the mercy of their memory. Mine is bad enough, but others?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:52 am

This is probably one of the ultra-rare circumstances where I'd spring for early bird checkin. Usually I just time it out to T-24 exactly to the second, but I wouldn't risk somebody else doing it for me, or take the chance with in-flight wifi. $20 to have peace of mind is worth it to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.