Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest (WN / SWA) Duplicitous or Innocent on Travel Funds?

Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:19 pm
mxd
Original Poster

I recently discovered I had paid for a Southwest flight (already taken) that could have been paid using some forgotten Travel Funds. In retrospect, I thought these credits or funds would have shown up when I entered my frequent flier/Rapid Rewards number to purchase a new flight, but they didn't. It wasn't until several weeks later that I discovered several hundred dollars sitting in my "other" Travel Funds account.

Later that week, I was griping to a friend of mine about what happened, and he said the same thing happened to him. He said he's pretty pissed at Southwest for their method of holding (or "hiding") the funds. He thought it should, at a minimum, be associated with the Rapid Rewards number, for those of us who have them, so the online system or customer service person could remind you that you have money to spend. We agreed that it seemed a bit disingenuous for a company that claims to be customer-focused to force you to track the dollars yourself. If they can track mileage or segments, they can certainly track credited dollars or Travel Funds.

I KNOW they're the only airline that allows for refunds, which is priced into their business model. It still feels like they're playing a shell game or three-card monte ... not a great analogy for Southwest's reputation.

Does anyone else agree?

I'd really love to hear from Southwest on this!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:23 pm

I think, among the regulars here, you'll find that we sort of agree with you - but we've come to terms with the fact that you just can't delete your WN emails, or you have to keep a simple database with your TTF / confirmation codes. Doing it this way allows WN to keep their truly awesome refund policies, which is what is most important to me.
kennycrudup, rickg523, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mxd

Does anyone else agree?
I agree. I'm sure we've lost out on travel funds, but not several hundred $ like you described. Just small re-fare amounts here & there which I sometimes forget to track. I'm sure there's lots of breakage with Southwest's policy, but perhaps that's why they can still claim they offer refunds, as synergistic pointed out.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:01 pm

Lesson for OP: track your credits. Current system isn’t great, as has been noted here ad nauseum for many years, but your conspiracy theory is a bit dramatic IMO.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:41 pm
mxd
Original Poster

I like dramatic.

They could adjust relatively easily.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by mxd
I like dramatic.

They could adjust relatively easily.
Perhaps, but if past history is any indication of the future, they're not going to "adjust".

If you'd truly like to "Hear from Southwest", write them a letter or @Email them. They'll eventually thank you for communicating with them and let you know that they'll be sharing your concern with management. They won't answer you on FT.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Has been this way forever and unlikely to change.

People should develop a system to keep track of this, whatever works for them. Database, spreadsheet, emails to oneself... I keep a memo note in my phone.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:20 pm

They could adjust, but that would cost money. So that's never gonna happen. In fact, Southwest has made moves over the past couple of years to make travel funds even harder to track.

No changes fees = track your own travel funds.
nsx and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by mxd
I recently discovered I had paid for a Southwest flight (already taken) that could have been paid using some forgotten Travel Funds. In retrospect, I thought these credits or funds would have shown up when I entered my frequent flier/Rapid Rewards number to purchase a new flight, but they didn't. It wasn't until several weeks later that I discovered several hundred dollars sitting in my "other" Travel Funds account.

Later that week, I was griping to a friend of mine about what happened, and he said the same thing happened to him. He said he's pretty pissed at Southwest for their method of holding (or "hiding") the funds. He thought it should, at a minimum, be associated with the Rapid Rewards number, for those of us who have them, so the online system or customer service person could remind you that you have money to spend. We agreed that it seemed a bit disingenuous for a company that claims to be customer-focused to force you to track the dollars yourself. If they can track mileage or segments, they can certainly track credited dollars or Travel Funds.

I KNOW they're the only airline that allows for refunds, which is priced into their business model. It still feels like they're playing a shell game or three-card monte ... not a great analogy for Southwest's reputation.

Does anyone else agree?

I'd really love to hear from Southwest on this!
A shell game? Three card monte?

DYKWIA strikes again
Tanic, mile ho, steved5480 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
I disagree. They are allowing us to cancel flights almost up until take-off.

I don't blame them one bit for not making it super easy to use those funds. And yes, I keep excellent track of mine and none ever go to waste.

I believe WN allows us to re-use funds because of the breakage associated with the TTFs; with people who don't keep good track of said funds. So I'm not in favor of tracking made easy. Breakage keeps this profitable.

Keep your records, people!
Kevin AA and ryw like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:12 pm
mxd
Original Poster

Strange logic from those who agree with WN/SWA making it difficult to track funds. With that same logic, great service companies like Nordstrom (and Amazon?) would make it more difficult to find refunds in order to generate more income for their great service.

And yes, I sent a note to SWA almost identical to the original post.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by mxd
Strange logic from those who agree with WN/SWA making it difficult to track funds. With that same logic, great service companies like Nordstrom (and Amazon?) would make it more difficult to find refunds in order to generate more income for their great service.

Hmmm...Nordstrom closing stores. WN expanding. Strange logic indeed.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
It is not that difficult.

Keep track of cancels
or
keep track of bookings
or
keep all emails
or
check your credit card statement - I was able to find any lost bookings there

All you need is the booking number.

Way back, when you had some sort of refund, you had a piece of paper you had to keep track off and people lost those.

It is just not that hard.
lougord99, G702TT, Often1 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mxd

Just compare it to gift/e-gift cards. Lots of breakage with those and it's on you to keep track of them. If WN's policy bothers you so much, feel free to switch to a carrier which both tracks your credits with your account and has no change fees. Good look finding one of those.
nsx, trooper and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:25 am

The recent updates to SWA Biz purport to allow tracking of travel funds. It's one reason I may signup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.