Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest (WN / SWA) Duplicitous or Innocent on Travel Funds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest (WN / SWA) Duplicitous or Innocent on Travel Funds?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by mxd
I recently discovered I had paid for a Southwest flight (already taken) that could have been paid using some forgotten Travel Funds. In retrospect, I thought these credits or funds would have shown up when I entered my frequent flier/Rapid Rewards number to purchase a new flight, but they didn't. It wasn't until several weeks later that I discovered several hundred dollars sitting in my "other" Travel Funds account.

Later that week, I was griping to a friend of mine about what happened, and he said the same thing happened to him. He said he's pretty pissed at Southwest for their method of holding (or "hiding") the funds. He thought it should, at a minimum, be associated with the Rapid Rewards number, for those of us who have them, so the online system or customer service person could remind you that you have money to spend. We agreed that it seemed a bit disingenuous for a company that claims to be customer-focused to force you to track the dollars yourself. If they can track mileage or segments, they can certainly track credited dollars or Travel Funds.
Perhaps the ability to use travel funds too well-hidden on their website? I think not.... See, its right there on the page when you buy airfare. Let's take a look:

I have circled the relevant items in yellow.

Perhaps if they used a larger font? A brighter color? Maybe the "Apply Travel Funds" button needs to flash on and off to make it more visible? Surely there is some way to make it stand out more than all other items. But then the Gift Card, LUV voucher or Paypal options would feel left out...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Perhaps the ability to use travel funds too well-hidden on their website? I think not.... See, its right there on the page when you buy airfare. Let's take a look: I have circled the relevant items in yellow. Perhaps if they used a larger font? A brighter color? Maybe the "Apply Travel Funds" button needs to flash on and off to make it more visible? Surely there is some way to make it stand out more than all other items. But then the Gift Card, LUV voucher or Paypal options would feel left out...
This is not helping the conspiracy theorists.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
This is not helping the conspiracy theorists.
Hey I resemble that remark!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
If you really want some muscle behind your request, buy 1000 shares of LUV. ... Then you can change it.
I suspect LUV holders of any significance are quite happy with the current TTF policies
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:24 am

Those people who understand the system work it to their advantage. I rarely leave any Travel Funds unused. But then my wife and I have about 100 flights a year. To the extent that others are unwilling to do the work I benefit, and I'm OK with that.
rickg523 and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Those people who understand the system work it to their advantage. I rarely leave any Travel Funds unused. But then my wife and I have about 100 flights a year. To the extent that others are unwilling to do the work I benefit, and I'm OK with that.
Well, of course! But the topic is about you, me or any one individual. The topic is that the current policy is not pro-consumer, full stop.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Those people who understand the system work it to their advantage.
This is RULE ONE of any and every airline benefit program.
Complaining about the "intricacies" is RESPONSE ONE of almost every flyer just learning the rules of exploiting airline benefit programs.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:40 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Troopers
The topic is that the current policy is not pro-consumer, full stop.
Is Southwest's policy more pro-consumer or less pro-consumer than $125 change fees?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Is Southwest's policy more pro-consumer or less pro-consumer than $125 change fees?
You're co-mingling two different policies. Why can't SWA be pro-consumer on both policies? No change fee AND track travel funds. It doesn't have to be one or the either. @:-)
mxd likes this.

Last edited by Troopers; Feb 13, 2019 at 11:52 am
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:26 pm

You're co-mingling two different policies. Why can't SWA be pro-consumer on both policies? No change fee AND track travel funds. It doesn't have to be one or the either. @:-)
It was mentioned earlier, that perhaps the money they recoup from unused travel funds pays for the no-change fee policy we all love and enjoy.

In other words:

-No change fees
-Full tracking of travel funds
-Reasonable airfare prices

Pick any two.
mile ho likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
^

faster, better, cheaper

choose two
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by mxd
Strange logic from those who agree with WN/SWA making it difficult to track funds. With that same logic, great service companies like Nordstrom (and Amazon?) would make it more difficult to find refunds in order to generate more income for their great service.
You don't think Nordstroms' superior service is reflected in its prices (versus, say, Macy's or similar)?

Originally Posted by mxd
Yep, Nordstrom had a good run and they're "not dead yet." If you want to compare to a company or two that are growing, look at Amazon and Zappos. Zappos was acquired by Amazon for many reasons, one of which was their stellar customer support and free shipping on deliveries and returns ... uhhhh, let's see, who did that before Zappos? No one. Both hire and promote customer-first policies. They look for ways to make customers happier. When is the last time you received a paper voucher from them to keep track of recent purchases and refunds. Walmart, too. And yep, they're growing.
Same story with Zappos--great service, rarely the cheapest price.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
It was mentioned earlier, that perhaps the money they recoup from unused travel funds pays for the no-change fee policy we all love and enjoy.

In other words:

-No change fees
-Full tracking of travel funds
-Reasonable airfare prices

Pick any two.
Maybe or maybe not. Regardless, it's a deceptive business practice even it if pays for the no-change policy. Self-justification is a poor excuse.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:19 am

Maybe or maybe not. Regardless, it's a deceptive business practice even it if pays for the no-change policy. Self-justification is a poor excuse.
It's not deceptive except in some lazy entitled sense. Every travel fund is shown to the passenger at the time it is created. Every passenger receives an electronic notice. That some passengers are too lazy to keep track of them is in no way deceptive.

It may not be the most consumer friendly policy imaginable but its hardly deceitful.
kennycrudup and rickg523 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by mxd
I recently discovered I had paid for a Southwest flight (already taken) that could have been paid using some forgotten Travel Funds. In retrospect, I thought these credits or funds would have shown up when I entered my frequent flier/Rapid Rewards number to purchase a new flight, but they didn't. It wasn't until several weeks later that I discovered several hundred dollars sitting in my "other" Travel Funds account.

Later that week, I was griping to a friend of mine about what happened, and he said the same thing happened to him. He said he's pretty pissed at Southwest for their method of holding (or "hiding") the funds. He thought it should, at a minimum, be associated with the Rapid Rewards number, for those of us who have them, so the online system or customer service person could remind you that you have money to spend. We agreed that it seemed a bit disingenuous for a company that claims to be customer-focused to force you to track the dollars yourself. If they can track mileage or segments, they can certainly track credited dollars or Travel Funds.

I KNOW they're the only airline that allows for refunds, which is priced into their business model. It still feels like they're playing a shell game or three-card monte ... not a great analogy for Southwest's reputation.

Does anyone else agree?

I'd really love to hear from Southwest on this!
I don’t think its duplicitous at all. The email you receive when you change for a downgrade or cancel gives you all the info you need to self manage YOUR money and Confirmation number. If they provided a system online to manage your RTFs it would incur an expense which would then be passed on to the customer somehow. I am okay with being responsible for my own money since I get to make all these changes FOR FREE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.