Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass ever unavailable?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Obviously if the flight is completely sold-out you won't be able to add your companion to it. But one time WN refused to allow me to add a companion when BS and AT fares were still available. "There are no seats for companions left," a Southwest phone agent explained to me.

"You're saying there's now a special quota on companions? Where's that documented?" I asked.

"It's not documented externally. But there's a special fare category needed for companions, and that category's all sold out on your flight. The military rate is in the same category. We can't sell more military fares on that flight, either."

In retrospect I'm not sure if I stumbled across some arcane WN policy or just a very... misinformed... agent. I figured I'd HUCA the next day, though by then I'd chosen to change my own flight, anyway, and booking a companion seat on it was no problem.
That probably occurred before they stopped overselling flights. Today you need any seat available.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by dlaue
There are flights which sell out completely, although this is far less frequent since Southwest stopped overbooking flights.
... you'd think, but NoCal/SoCal is nuts-to-butts on nearly every flight* the last few years.

* ... that I've been on, at least
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer

"You're saying there's now a special quota on companions? Where's that documented?" I asked.

"It's not documented externally. But there's a special fare category needed for companions, and that category's all sold out on your flight. The military rate is in the same category. We can't sell more military fares on that flight, either."
EXACT same happened to me, and multiple agents and supervisors held to the story "CP fare bucket sold out." After posting on FT I was contacted by Southwest social media lurkers, and within 60 minutes they had someone from headquarters fixing this for me. A VERY helpful corporate supervisor got to the bottom of this--companion fare needs an X fare bucket, which somehow never got populated at all for the flight I was on. Every other day and flight the same qty of seats available in the X fare (companion) as the Y fare (full/anytime paid fare).
darthbimmer and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... you'd think, but NoCal/SoCal is nuts-to-butts on nearly every flight* the last few years.

* ... that I've been on, at least
I am amazed how many flights show sold out at ANY fare even weeks out.

Day of flight they of course then fill seats with standbys too.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Never had a problem with CP, and have had it I’ve 10 years
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:44 pm

How about this.... Wife and I scheduled for a flight in August, on a Tuesday. I've added my companion. We went to add my wife's companion, and now it now shows all fare buckets as sold out. Odd though, as it is nearly 3 months away. I then look at the flexible date calendar, and now all Monday, Tue, Wed, Thur, and Fri dates from 8/12 - 8/30 are Unavailable... in other words, every seat is sold out for nearly three straight weeks. Highly unlikely. Looks more like SW is playing with schedules.

I'm now concerned as I cannot add our final companion to the reservation, and more concerned that our family summer trip will be altered, as Southwest could cancel the Tuesday flight altogether...and since they won't rebook on another airline, just the next available, that would not work for us, as our vacation is 8/27 - 9/1, and the next outbound flight is 8/31...

My plan of course it to check back multiple times a day, but since it appears there is a three week chunk of all flights unavailable, it seems unlikely that on my single day, a single seat will open up.

Thoughts?

Last edited by dprocuk; Jun 4, 2019 at 6:21 pm
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I always book my companion when I book my paid flight.

Advantage: no sweat about available seats. Can get refund of the taxes easily if you have to cancel companion's reservation.

Disadvantage: if you must change your revenue reservation, you must first cancel the companion's first, then re-book both.

Why wait to add companion?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
Why wait to add companion?
Purely a mistake. I added companion one to the international flight online, but a second companion can only be added to an exisitng reservation containing a companion when calling it it. I did not have time to call it in the same day and then went back later to add the other companion. It was purely a mistake, just never had anything like this appear.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:03 pm

So, if there is only 1 WGA fare available, but other fares are available, I could book the one cheap fare and add the companion even though there was not another seat in that fare class?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by xooz
So, if there is only 1 WGA fare available, but other fares are available, I could book the one cheap fare and add the companion even though there was not another seat in that fare class?
Yes.

Companion is not linked to any fare bucket. As long as there is a seat for sale, the companion can be added.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:14 pm

Thanks!! Even after 17 years, I learn something new to me and old to everyone else her on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.