Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"No Frills Southwest May Start Charging for Some Frills"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"No Frills Southwest May Start Charging for Some Frills"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest isn't going to do the things other carriers are doing.
"Upgraded Boarding (per segment) to join the A1 – A15 boarding group for just $30, $40, or $50" is remarkably different?

Getting on first is not going to move the needle much further.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:35 pm

Here's my proposal: A List and A List Plus members who also hold a companion pass can pay $X per calendar year and their companions will also get full A List or A List Plus privileges when they fly on the companion pass.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
"Upgraded Boarding (per segment) to join the A1 – A15 boarding group for just $30, $40, or $50" is remarkably different?

Getting on first is not going to move the needle much further.
Seriously. You kill me.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Here are my thoughts... I do not think they can reserve Row 1. Some disabled people have to sit there and easier for FA to help those to sit in Row 1.

Sure a Reserved section in rows 2-4 would be ok, but probably only for aisle/windows. But boarding last and reserving OH space? The problem is FA would have to know in advance (that is easy) how many of those reserved seats are sold and which ones they are (would pax select in advance). Or else which seats do they put the Reserved marker on?

Agree family boarding should be for those with kids under 6 and only with one adult per kid under 6 (and enforced). And they have to take seats in the back 10 rows. If they "reserve" seats for other family members back there probably not much of an issue.
WN FAs clearly want nothing to do with the "open seating" issues that arise during the boarding process, avoid assisting passengers with difficulties placing roll-aboards in the overheads, I don't see the FAs Union agreeing to police semi-reserve seating. WN prides itself in being able to board aircraft quickly, such schemes will require assigned seating for all.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I don't understand your statement "avoid assisting passengers with difficulties placing roll-aboards in the overheads, ". I often see FA's assisting in placement of rollerboards - especially as the bins start to fill.
bobunf likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by lougord99
I don't understand your statement "avoid assisting passengers with difficulties placing roll-aboards in the overheads, ". I often see FA's assisting in placement of rollerboards - especially as the bins start to fill.
FAs (on all carriers) will generally watch (sometimes cringe) passengers struggle to place items in overheads, generally not discourage passengers from placing second "small item" in overheads during the boarding process. As the overheads begin to fill, they will identify remaining open space, in an effort to expedite departure - or require passengers to check bags.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by lougord99
I have frequently seen FAs on many airlines avoid helping people lift an item that they are having difficulty lifting. There are good reasons for them not to want to be involved -- the main ones being injury potential to the FA and liability if something is dropped. While I understand the inclination to assist someone who is disabled or infirm, I generally support the FAs in this respect-- if you are going to bring something on the plane you should be able to lift it into the bin yourself. If you can't it would be better for everyone's sake if you check it, especially on WN where it is free.

By the way, I realize that "rollerboard" has fully transitioned from malapropism to part of the flying lexicon, but I would also support requiring anyone who calls it that to check theirs. That would significantly speed up the boarding process .
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by wetrat0
if you are going to bring something on the plane you should be able to lift it into the bin yourself.
THIS, and I suspect the people who regularly do this are counting on someone to feel sorry for them to help them out.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
THIS, and I suspect the people who regularly do this are counting on someone to feel sorry for them to help them out.
I had one lady approach me without even trying to lift her bag and she told me "I am going to recruit you to lift this bag"..then she left the bag by my seat and continued back without another word. I must be wearing a hat that says "Porter". And on this same flight, just after pax with disabilities began boarding, the guy infront of me in line asked me to watch his bags while he went to the restroom. Uhh...no. I don't know you, and I don't know what's in your bag. If you walk away, it's an unattended bag and security will have to clear the terminal and blow it up. So no. I will NOT watch your bag. What kind of moron asks strangers to watch his bag???
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
So what happened to the bag-on-the-seat & it's porter-seeking owner?

You can't leave us hanging like this......
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steved5480
So what happened to the bag-on-the-seat & it's porter-seeking owner?

You can't leave us hanging like this......
I considered just leaving it in the aisle..but as that would slow boarding I sucked it up and put it away. Like a sucker. But on the other end I didn't take it out for her.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
What kind of moron asks strangers to watch his bag?
... um ...?

"You gonna be here a minute? I'm gonna run into the bathroom."

We're in an airport full of cameras and people trying to go somewhere; I'm not all that worried about it for 2-3 minutes.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:38 pm
Suspended

... um ...?

We're in an airport full of cameras and people trying to go somewhere; I'm not all that worried about it for 2-3 minutes.
If you were a terrorist who wanted to detonate a bomb and made it past TSA, but didn't want to blow yourself up, it would make sense to ensure someone remains with it. Abandoned bags get removed. Attended bags dont.

Of course, that is worst case scenario. The reality was that I didn't know this person, and I don't want to take on the sudden responsibility for his possessions or the liability if he came back later to claim something was missing.

It's a big ask of a stranger. Besides, we were less than 30 seconds from A boarding. Solution? Take your damn luggage with you to the restroom.
lougord99 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:06 pm

Who in their right mind would ask a stranger to watch their bag in an airport?!

Seriously?

There are literally PA announcements discouraging this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
... um ...?

You can't take your carry-ons with you?

No one in today's world asks this, unless they are absolutely clueless. I refuse to deal with someone that clueless.
ursine1 and Proudelitist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.