Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"No Frills Southwest May Start Charging for Some Frills"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"No Frills Southwest May Start Charging for Some Frills"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Speculation from TPG points to Euro-style business class:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southw...ees-next-year/

Obviously, that would make some here happy. The problem that I have with introducing that as a "fee" is that they already have BS fares, which already demands a premium over AT fares. So, BS would be guaranteed no middle seat and the BS fares would rise even higher? I can't really make sense of this option any other way.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Possibly Rapider Rewards point bundles at purchase/check-in? The Big 3 offer this for passengers with great redemption plans/poor math comprehension. I am not a taker but Southwest also hasn't got a single dollar from me for EBCI.
ryw likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ronnyradio
You think people fake pre-board and SW sells millions of dollars of EB so that people can sit what, closer to the back?
No, they pay up because they've somehow got it in their minds that somehow on an aircraft where ~95% of 137+ seats are all about the same, there's some cachet to be in the front. Explain to me then why is it that I see people asking the guy on row 5's aisle to get up so they can take the window when row 7's totally empty? I just don't get that.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Because. you. exit. the. plane. faster. @:-)
... and. stand. next. to. me,. seated. in. row. 22+,. at. ride-share/bag-claim/rental-car-bus. anyway. Then again, there's always someone sitting in the back with me who gets up the minute the "ding" goes off just to stand up unnecessarily, so who the f knows what's going thru folks' minds.

I stand by "fetish", based just on the hundreds of "seat saving" threads here on FA alone.
bobunf likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Nothing, given the other alternatives I've floated.

Heck, no. I much prefer that those seats be reserved for the standard A/B/C boarding order. If someone in A1-C-60really wants to sit in the back of the plane (and apparently such WN critters, such as yourself, exist), then the odds of me scoring the front half of the plane go up if we can first handle preboarding families. It also reduces the scourge of seat saving, IMO.

Unsure why we have an arbitrary row 1-4; rows 1 to 12-16, depending on the plane, is the front half.
The only time I choose the back of the plane purposely is flying into BUR.
If you aren't willing to pay for anything other than a reserved specific seat, then this discussion is barren. WN won't be selling those, so WN is just not an airline you should fly. When you must, maybe consider it like going to Costco. You can get what you need there, but you just know going in there will likely be long checkout lines. As my Dad used to say, you have to take the bad with the good in this world.
And if I get a B1-30 boarding position, I'm pretty much sure I'll get an aisle seat (my preference) somewhere near the wing, so I wouldn't think there's enough demand to reserve the entire front half of the plane for the impatient. Besides, if they're not specific seat assignments, the guy who forked over some simollions and ends up in a middle seat in row 15 isn't really going to be that thrilled, is he?
The front 24 slots. Bid on them.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
No, they pay up because they've somehow got it in their minds that somehow on an aircraft where ~95% of 137+ seats are all about the same, there's some cachet to be in the front. Explain to me then why is it that I see people asking the guy on row 5's aisle to get up so they can take the window when row 7's totally empty? I just don't get that..
Just because you don’t get it doesn’t mean that other people cannot have their preferences.

95% the same? Seriously?

About 33% of all seats are middles. Sure those are just the same. Of the remaining seats 50% are aisles and 50% are windows. Yea, those are just the same.

You see see no difference between row 5 window and row 7 window, except that row 7 window is somewhat blocked by wing / engine. Yea, no difference.

Do do you seriously think the noise level behind the wing is the same as the noise level in front of the wing? Not to you obviously.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
95% the same? Seriously?
Same legroom and seat pitch, so yeah. If you wanna go all reductio ad absurdum like you have then yes- 95% of all the windows are the same, 95% of all the aisles are the same- hell, even 95% of all the middles are the same.

But again, if people wanna spend extra money to sit up front, and it doesn't cause those of us who couldn't care less any reduction in benefit nor pricing, charge away, WN! I wish there were a way I could sell my nearly-constant A-16-thru-30!
bobunf likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I would like to apologize for the tone of my post.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:36 pm

Eh ... don't bother me none
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA 2P, National Car Exec, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by roundtree
Speculation from TPG points to Euro-style business class:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/southw...ees-next-year/
The second sentence here is inaccurate: “It’s so easy to earn miles on Southwest than it is on some of the other airlines. They don’t devalue them every year."

Sure, maybe they don't devalue them *every* year, but they sure as heck devalue them fairly regularly.
joshua362, lougord99 and roundtree like this.

Last edited by BarryPeters; Feb 12, 2019 at 7:43 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Same legroom and seat pitch, so yeah. If you wanna go all reductio ad absurdum like you have then yes- 95% of all the windows are the same, 95% of all the aisles are the same- hell, even 95% of all the middles are the same.

But again, if people wanna spend extra money to sit up front, and it doesn't cause those of us who couldn't care less any reduction in benefit nor pricing, charge away, WN! I wish there were a way I could sell my nearly-constant A-16-thru-30!
Have you tried? See if someone in B/C will give you $20 to swap positions.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by BarryPeters
The second sentence here is inaccurate: “It’s so easy to earn miles on Southwest than it is on some of the other airlines. They don’t devalue them every year."Sure, maybe they don't devalue them *every* year, but they sure as heck devalue them fairly regularly.
So true. Rapid Rewards has never used "miles" as a currency either. The bloggers lifeblood is peddling CCs, but I doubt if many of them have ever set foot on WN. Maybe if we get "Euro Class."
roundtree likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
One bag free would not alienate many fliers, they can keep it 2 bags free for A List and credit card holders. Also they can make changes to Rapid Rewards last minute cancellations especially for non-A list customers.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by hyho61
One bag free would not alienate many fliers, they can keep it 2 bags free for A List and credit card holders. Also they can make changes to Rapid Rewards last minute cancellations especially for non-A list customers.
I don't think making it one bag free per person raises much revenue though.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I don't think making it one bag free per person raises much revenue though.
No, but it could save on fuel costs if people decide that they don't have to bring as much stuff on trips. I would hope they to the cost-benefit analysis to include the behavioral element, since some of those previously-checked bags would start appearing in overhead bins instead.

In the end, I don't think it would save much cost or raise much revenue either way.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Selling food on board might be good, especially on long flights. That might require modifying the galleys.
I don't see abandoning bags fly free or adding cancellation or change fees, they've invested too much in that and it would take awhile to recover.
Not good for them necessarily. Food means extra weight and that means extra fuel, so charging for it will have thin margins at best.

Better to charge for something they already have on the plane..like luggage or seat selection. My guess would be luggage because it would require very little investment in new systems. Just a new billing line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.