Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation on Hawaii Fares?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Good points, worldwidedreamer. As a California based flyer I find that WN's flights to east coast cities range from around $350 RT on deeply discounted WGA fares up to about $600 OW AT. I anticipate similar pricing for West Coast - Hawaii.... after, possibly, compelling sales the first few months to build market share quickly.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
Lets go to the other end of the spectrum - any thoughts on what the Business Select fares will be? The highest in the SWA system is around 650.....will we see higher?
Yes, you will see a higher price. If they have more than $1,000 RT.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, you will see a higher price. If they have more than $1,000 RT.
I would expect BS fares north of $800 one way. As others have speculated, I can't imagine WN opening a lot of cheap WGA tickets over the long term, though they're rarely loss leaders on fares any more.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Why wouldn't BS fares be 20-30$ over AT fares as they've always been? AT fares should be what is speculated about...
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
AT may well be just $20-30 under BS for Hawaii, but that level always seems to be set by what others are charging for 1st/Business class. Honestly, it may go to $1000 one way, so AT fares will be near that too.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
my speculation: every few tuesdays and wednesdays (off peak) they will have $149 one way fares. Possibly only in one direction.

Southwest knows their bags are free and seats are free, so they price their fares according to what others non basic economy a-la-carte price adds up to.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:36 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I can't imagine them being that cost competitive being that it cost them so much money to start everything up.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, my last Alaska flights to/from KOA were $159-179 each way from the west coast. Flew out of SAN and back into OAK. That was a spring break trip. (I generally assume Hawaii doesn't really have a true off-peak season. It's always winter/spring somewhere, and that somewhere is going to want a warm tropical island where the weather is always nice.)

So it would seem like Southwest is going to have to have some fares in that range. The real question is the mix of leisure fares vs. business-traveler type fares. I have no idea how many $159's Alaska sells on a given flight, or whether they get a lot of paid F and paid high-fare Y. I do know this: it wasn't that hard to find those fares, and the flights were pretty full of what appeared to be vacationers for the most part.

Southwest may command a little premium over Alaska simply because of the pent-up demand to spend points and what I would expect would be a high rate of CP usage. In fact, the CP usage may tilt the math so much that those of us *without* an active CP are basically relegated to other airlines unless we want to subsidize the CP's. (Thankfully I have base MVP status on AS.)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: HH Silver
I am thinking that some of their connecting cities might have some pretty good deals. Like they have done to cities in Mexico for example. SEA-OAK-PVR cost me $122, while the OAK-PVR leg alone was $185.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I am thinking that some of their connecting cities might have some pretty good deals. Like they have done to cities in Mexico for example. SEA-OAK-PVR cost me $122, while the OAK-PVR leg alone was $185.
Quite possible, since SEA and PDX are the two other cities outside California that have those cheap AS nonstops.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:23 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dlaue
$750 RT initially with super high points price, just to clear up all the pent up demand.
I would not be too surprised to see Hawaii flights priced at more than 80 points per dollar of cash fare. Just look at how many miles the other programs charge for a hard-to-find saver ticket to Hawaii.
joshua362, roundtree and FindAWay like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by nsx
I would not be too surprised to see Hawaii flights priced at more than 80 points per dollar of cash fare. Just look at how many miles the other programs charge for a hard-to-find saver ticket to Hawaii.
I agree.

And, I would not be too surprised to see restrictions on companion pass bookings for Hawaii service. If I recall correctly, when WN had its relationship with ATA for Hawaii service, it took twice the WN flights to get an award ticket as it did for a mainland ticket.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:58 am

I'll be interested to see how Southwest service affects Hawaii tourism on a macro level.

I know a lot of people in the Midwest who still think of Hawaii as a very expensive place to go. It still can be depending on when and exactly where you're trying to book a hotel, but I know a lot of people who are turned off by the flight costs. When I booked my $159 AS ticket from SAN, I also had a $109 WN ticket to get *to* SAN. But when you put MCI-KOA into a search engine, it's often $500+ one-way. A thousand-dollar R/T ticket, if not more. Most people, understandably, don't look for or want to buy two itineraries.

If Southwest decides to market this a certain way, they could re-set a norm that Midwest to Hawaii is about a $300 one-way fare is a reasonable get, including bags and a simple one-stop in SAN, LAX, or SFO. They could bring this to a huge market of people who have never been targeted with the west coast fare sales. People who didn't previously have Hawaii in their travel plans.

It'll obviously be limited by how much capacity WN decides to commit to Hawaii, but it seems to me that they could choose to commit quite a bit, run it profitably, and bring a nontrivial amount of increased travel to the islands. Perhaps even enough to statistically impact hotel rates/availability (a little bit) on Kauai or the Big Island.
steved5480 and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:01 pm

Mid-week r/t fares from all 3 Bay Area airports reduced to $358 for March.

San Antonio Express-News speculates on destinations:
  • Honolulu on Oahu
  • Kahului on Maui
  • Lihue on Kauai
  • Kona on the Big Island

https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...s:0*0;sd:1;t:f
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Mid-week r/t fares from all 3 Bay Area airports reduced to $358 for March.

San Antonio Express-News speculates on destinations:
  • Honolulu on Oahu
  • Kahului on Maui
  • Lihue on Kauai
  • Kona on the Big Island
Wow, they really went out on a limb with those. #hottake
dlaue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.