Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCO security breach (2/2/2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
MCO security breach (2/2/2019)

Anyone know what’s going on? I saw on FB that a friend was on his plane, napping, awaiting taxi and takeoff when they evacuated the plane and sent everyone back through security.

Found this article:

https://heavy.com/news/2019/02/orlan...ecurity-delay/

It appears as though there was a suicide... but I’m not sure how that impacts security screening.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
This article is a little more helpful. It seems there was concern that scared travelers may have run when hearing a BANG... possibly passing through security gates without being screened.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/sta...225447290.html
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:20 am

I was sitting at the gate waiting on a 1015 flight. Now they are evacuating the entire terminal before reopening screening. This is a mess. Just finally got off shuttle to main security and in the back of a very very long line. Still evacuating terminal at the moment.

Rumors are swirling on the details of what happened so I'll wait until the truth is finally told.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:22 am

Miami Herald says a TSA agent "attempted suicide." Other reports that some passengers may have gotten through a security checkpoint at Gates 70-129 without being screened.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:23 am

During whatever actually happened, my understanding is that the confusion allowed for the potential for unscreened people to pass thru security. Hence the total rescreen. It's taking hours just to evacuate. Seems like something like this could have been planned for.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by boudinboat
Seems like something like this could have been planned for.
And if the lone agent watching the sterile exit commits suicide? You contingency plan that?
steved5480 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Reportedly a jumper from the Hyatt upstairs who "landed" on the airside of security.

MCO ground control telling arrivals that "every Southwest gate is occupied and we're told it will be 2+ hours to rescreen everyone so we can start departures".

Between the normal Mouse Amateurs & their offspring and Saturday being cruise ship connection day for FLL, SJU, etc. this can't be good.

ATCSCC Advisory
ATCSCC 042
CO/ZJX 02/02/2019 CDM GROUND STOP
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1625Z
GROUND STOP PERIOD: 02/1615Z - 02/1730Z
FLT INCL: CARRIER SWA ONLY
DEP FACILITIES INCLUDED: (2ndTier) ZTL ZDC ZNY ZHU ZJX ZFW ZOB ZBW
ZMA ZME ZID ZAB
PREVIOUS TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 302 / 65 / 30
NEW TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 829 / 125 / 83
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM
IMPACTING CONDITION: OTHER / SECURITY
COMMENTS: SWA ONLY...OTHER AIRCRAFT RELEASED.
EFFECTIVE TIME: 021629 - 021830
SIGNATURE: 19/02/02 16:30
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by steved5480; Feb 2, 2019 at 9:57 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:51 am

Not being insensitive, I'm talking about better planning for mass evacuation of the terminal. They still havent finished yet as there is nowhere to put people. The entire pre tsa area is shoulder to shoulder. Could you imagine a fire right now?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:51 am

Seems like something like this could have been planned for.
Really? And how exactly would you suggest they plan for this specific scenario?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:56 am

Not being insensitive, I'm talking about better planning for mass evacuation of the terminal. They still havent finished yet as there is nowhere to put people. The entire pre tsa area is shoulder to shoulder. Could you imagine a fire right now?
If one of the concourses was on fire, they'd push everyone out the emergency exits onto the ramp. This has happened at other airports before.

The city/county or whoever they are down there decided years ago to build that place to be totally dependent on the tram thingies to get people to and from the concourses. Much like Denver, the only means to bulk-rescreen is to shuffle everyone back to the central terminal and press restart.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by steved5480
If one of the concourses was on fire, they'd push everyone out the emergency exits onto the ramp. This has happened at other airports before.

The city/county or whoever they are down there decided years ago to build that place to be totally dependent on the tram thingies to get people to and from the concourses. Much like Denver, the only means to bulk-rescreen is to shuffle everyone back to the central terminal and press restart.
Oh I get that. I meant what if an emergency happened right now with this massive crowd. I will say things are fairly organized, just loud, hot, and slow.
But I've been traveling all morning, and the fussy kid crowd is starting to aggravate as well. And I was within minutes of leaving just before all this went down.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Way worse and serious... what if a "bad guy" was anywhere in the unsecured part of the terminal with thousands of sitting ducks?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Story here
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:40 am

The FAA dropped the ground stop for MCO @1:30pm EST.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I could just see them dumping everyone out of ORD/MDW onto the tarmac for a couple hours when it’s -20.
steved5480 likes this.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Feb 2, 2019 at 4:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.