Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Have Chase Southwest card not using enough to justify $99 fee, what should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have Chase Southwest card not using enough to justify $99 fee, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

I have the Chase Southwest Credit card which includes the $99 annual fee. At the time I thought it was a good idea but now I am not using much as my travel is on other airlines like United and American.

Can I still keep the account active without paying the $99 annual fee? I don't want to pay the fee because I am not using enough, however I don't want the closed account to impact my credit.

How should i handle this?

Please help. Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:39 am

Don't you get $99 worth of points each anniversary, 6000 points? Use those points and you're not really out $99.
roundtree likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:45 am
Original Poster

If I don't plan on going on a single flight with Southwest this year, should I still pay the $99 fee?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:59 am

The $99 fee is going to hit your account, you're considering not paying your credit card bill?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:19 am
Original Poster

The fee was billed today. I assume I could call and cancel.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:56 am

You have up to 30 days for refund requests. Not sure how anyone can be absolute certain of not having to take any flights in the next 12 months, but, if your are, I'd close it. In addition, the TL will stay on your credit file for up to 10 years after closure, and would have virtually no impact on your credit score (Fico).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
When I was up for renewal recently, I called and mentioned that the annual fee was too high and I was thinking of canceling. They offered me a statement credit to offset it. This method didn't work for my husband.
Visconti and Dean1953 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If you really do not need the points, then maybe you should cancel. It is hard to justify if you are not going to fly or do not need the points.

There is one reason you might keep it though. Remember they expire if no activity in two years. You could keep it until next year, make a single charge next January before canceling then, and still have two years left on your points.

But - since we do not know how often you MIGHT fly with them, or how many points you have - hard to say.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere

There is one reason you might keep it though. Remember they expire if no activity in two years. You could keep it until next year, make a single charge next January before canceling then, and still have two years left on your points...
The activity specifically has to be points going into the account. Redemptions do not extend validity. Just in case that is not clear.

OP, the points you get annually on renewal are worth the fee.
And Chase is starting to roll out Offers, like Amex does.

Unless you have a specific reason to cancel, such as needing a Chase slot or wanting to apply for a new WN card, I would just stick it in the sock drawer. Use it once every few months so they do not cancel it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:43 am

In my experience, one gets the anniversary points before the fee is due, so you could have those points and cancel without paying the fee, but your mileage may vary. If it works this way, you would just be paying to get the anniversary points next year.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:08 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
As long as you have a zero balance you are fine when you close the card. If you have another Chase card transfer the credit line to it and there will be no impact to your credit or reputation with Chase.
The SW points may outweigh the annual fee, but they are worthless if you dont fly on SW.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Earlier poster pointed out something I did not know. I currently do not have a SW credit and on free flights for 2018 and 2019 due to companion pass. Gotta make sure I have some activity.

FROM WEBSITE:Your points don't expire*.

*Points don’t expire as long as you have flight-earning or partner-earning activity at least once every 24 months. Period.

Found more detail here:

*Points will remain active as long as you have at least one qualifying earning activity every 24 months. Qualifying earning activity includes 1) completed revenue travel on flights flown through Southwest Airlines® and posted to the Member’s account prior to the expiration date; 2) points earned by transacting with any current Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® partner (including transfers from applicable Rapid Rewards partners and completed Southwest Vacations® hotel stays) and posted to the Member’s account prior to the expiration date; 3) points earned using Rapid Rewards® Credit Cards and through points transferred from Diners Club® and posted to the Member’s account prior to the expiration date and 4) points purchased for personal account use through Southwest.com and posted to the Member’s account prior to the expiration date. Points gifted or transferred to another Member will only keep the recipient's point balance active after the points have been claimed by the recipient. Examples of activities that do not count as qualifying activities include but are not limited to: cancelled trips; nonrevenue travel such as reward or Companion Pass travel; for the donating Member, points donated to a charity; and other travel such as charter flights, service-charged, reduce-rate, trade out, and extra seat.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN A+/CP, HH Diamond
call and ask to downgrade your card. i'm not sure if there's a no annual fee SW card
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:43 pm

There is a $69 version that can b edowngraded to, but that comes with only 3000 RR points as an anniversary bonus - to double that for $30 more is more than worth it. The cheaper one also has foreign transaction fees which the $99 version does not.

I find it hard to recommend the $69 version over the $99.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
atomarchio, since you're not using the card much anymore I suggest closing it. Closing an account won't mess up your credit score.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.