FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Are flights being deleted from Spring schedule to shift to Hawaii? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1953960-flights-being-deleted-spring-schedule-shift-hawaii.html)

nsx Jan 31, 2019 7:51 am

Are flights being deleted from Spring schedule to shift to Hawaii?

Overnight Southwest emailed me schedule changes for a couple of April and May dates on which I had booked the last flight of the day. That flight, presumably very lightly loaded, with few tickets sold, has been deleted from the schedule.

Have others here received similar cancellations of off-peak flights? That would indicate that Southwest is marshaling the aircraft needed for mid-April or earlier service to Hawaii.

NoStressHere Jan 31, 2019 7:58 am

Maybe, maybe not.

I would guess they have an ongoing list of city pairs/flights showing the next ones to be dropped due to loads. Hence the shorter advance booking options compared to the majors.

They constantly shift flights around based on demand and where they need planes. With over 700 planes, it is hard to say what specific flights will be dropped, or that any flight being dropped is DIRECTLY linked to Hawaii.

LegalTender Jan 31, 2019 8:12 am

There's a schedule extension out today. Could explain some deleted CA runs.
  • Saturday-only DAL-CRP nonstop service
  • Weekend-only RIC-TPA nonstop service
  • Return of BDL-FLL, BUF-FLL, BOI-MDW, EWR-MCO, RIC-MCO, and MKE-SEA seasonal nonstop service
https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...light-schedule

Cledaybuck Jan 31, 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 30723435)
There's a schedule extension out today. Could explain some deleted CA runs.
  • Saturday-only DAL-CRP nonstop service
  • Weekend-only RIC-TPA nonstop service
  • Return of BDL-FLL, BUF-FLL, BOI-MDW, EWR-MCO, RIC-MCO, and MKE-SEA seasonal nonstop service
https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...light-schedule

Those seem like some weird adds for shoulder season.

DCP2016 Jan 31, 2019 11:25 am

You learn something new everyday, I thought BDL-FLL was year round....

jco613 Jan 31, 2019 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016 (Post 30724160)

cut this summer for FLL runway improvements.

N830MH Jan 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016 (Post 30724160)

Yes, they did. They reduced to weekend service, not daily flights.

Originally Posted by jco613 (Post 30724789)
cut this summer for FLL runway improvements.

Yeah, that's why they reduced the flights. Due to FLL runway construction. Hopefully in a few months. They will bring it back to normal schedule.

PAX62 Jan 31, 2019 4:11 pm

Sure it is not just Hawaii...each carrier has a finite number of slots in and out of each airport each day so that are constantly rationing and prioritizing those routes accordingly.

3Cforme Jan 31, 2019 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by PAX62 (Post 30725231)
Sure it is not just Hawaii...each carrier has a finite number of slots in and out of each airport each day so that are constantly rationing and prioritizing those routes accordingly.

Not at all. Very few U.S. airports have slots restrictions. The effective limit is set by gate productivity (take offs per hour) and length of operational day.

N830MH Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30725330)
Not at all. Very few U.S. airports have slots restrictions. The effective limit is set by gate productivity (take offs per hour) and length of operational day.

That is correct. DCA, LGA, EWR, JFK, LGB, SNA is a slots restrictions. Other US airports does not have slots restrictions.

beachmouse Jan 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30725415)
That is correct. DCA, LGA, EWR, JFK, LGB, SNA is a slots restrictions. Other US airports does not have slots restrictions.

There are a handful of airports operating under military-civilian joint use agreements where the local civilian government contracts with the DoD typically for X number of daily runway slots. (For VPS, the number I've heard is somewhere around 90 a day) The highest volume of these is Charleston, SC that does about four million passengers a year.

dblumenhoff Jan 31, 2019 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30725415)

I thought EWR got rid of slot restrictions a few years back.

ursine1 Feb 1, 2019 3:10 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 30723381)

They constantly shift flights around based on demand and where they need planes. With over 700 planes, it is hard to say what specific flights will be dropped, or that any flight being dropped is DIRECTLY linked to Hawaii.

Sure. With schedule extensions. I've never known Southwest to cancel existing, booked flights in the way nsx is noting. It would make sense that the planes are for Hawaii, since it's being added without much notice.

electriclarry Feb 1, 2019 5:07 am

Listen to latest earnings calls from Southwest and American and you will learn a lot more about scheduling? Google, Investor relations, at either listen to or read the confernce call . Southwest's call was really interesting concerning Hawaii flights.

LegalTender Feb 1, 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 30726662)
I've never known Southwest to cancel existing, booked flights in the way nsx is noting.

Isn't the principal advantage having a shortest-in-industry scheduling window to inhibit that?