Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are flights being deleted from Spring schedule to shift to Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

Overnight Southwest emailed me schedule changes for a couple of April and May dates on which I had booked the last flight of the day. That flight, presumably very lightly loaded, with few tickets sold, has been deleted from the schedule.

Have others here received similar cancellations of off-peak flights? That would indicate that Southwest is marshaling the aircraft needed for mid-April or earlier service to Hawaii.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Maybe, maybe not.

I would guess they have an ongoing list of city pairs/flights showing the next ones to be dropped due to loads. Hence the shorter advance booking options compared to the majors.

They constantly shift flights around based on demand and where they need planes. With over 700 planes, it is hard to say what specific flights will be dropped, or that any flight being dropped is DIRECTLY linked to Hawaii.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:12 am

There's a schedule extension out today. Could explain some deleted CA runs.
  • Saturday-only DAL-CRP nonstop service
  • Weekend-only RIC-TPA nonstop service
  • Return of BDL-FLL, BUF-FLL, BOI-MDW, EWR-MCO, RIC-MCO, and MKE-SEA seasonal nonstop service
https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...light-schedule
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by LegalTender
There's a schedule extension out today. Could explain some deleted CA runs.
  • Saturday-only DAL-CRP nonstop service
  • Weekend-only RIC-TPA nonstop service
  • Return of BDL-FLL, BUF-FLL, BOI-MDW, EWR-MCO, RIC-MCO, and MKE-SEA seasonal nonstop service
https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...light-schedule
Those seem like some weird adds for shoulder season.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
You learn something new everyday, I thought BDL-FLL was year round....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
cut this summer for FLL runway improvements.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Yes, they did. They reduced to weekend service, not daily flights.

Originally Posted by jco613
cut this summer for FLL runway improvements.
Yeah, that's why they reduced the flights. Due to FLL runway construction. Hopefully in a few months. They will bring it back to normal schedule.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Sure it is not just Hawaii...each carrier has a finite number of slots in and out of each airport each day so that are constantly rationing and prioritizing those routes accordingly.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PAX62
Sure it is not just Hawaii...each carrier has a finite number of slots in and out of each airport each day so that are constantly rationing and prioritizing those routes accordingly.
Not at all. Very few U.S. airports have slots restrictions. The effective limit is set by gate productivity (take offs per hour) and length of operational day.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not at all. Very few U.S. airports have slots restrictions. The effective limit is set by gate productivity (take offs per hour) and length of operational day.
That is correct. DCA, LGA, EWR, JFK, LGB, SNA is a slots restrictions. Other US airports does not have slots restrictions.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH
That is correct. DCA, LGA, EWR, JFK, LGB, SNA is a slots restrictions. Other US airports does not have slots restrictions.
There are a handful of airports operating under military-civilian joint use agreements where the local civilian government contracts with the DoD typically for X number of daily runway slots. (For VPS, the number I've heard is somewhere around 90 a day) The highest volume of these is Charleston, SC that does about four million passengers a year.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
I thought EWR got rid of slot restrictions a few years back.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere

They constantly shift flights around based on demand and where they need planes. With over 700 planes, it is hard to say what specific flights will be dropped, or that any flight being dropped is DIRECTLY linked to Hawaii.

Sure. With schedule extensions. I've never known Southwest to cancel existing, booked flights in the way nsx is noting. It would make sense that the planes are for Hawaii, since it's being added without much notice.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:07 am

Listen to latest earnings calls from Southwest and American and you will learn a lot more about scheduling? Google, Investor relations, at either listen to or read the confernce call . Southwest's call was really interesting concerning Hawaii flights.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
I've never known Southwest to cancel existing, booked flights in the way nsx is noting.
Isn't the principal advantage having a shortest-in-industry scheduling window to inhibit that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.