Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is MDW More Affected ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by lougord99
Actually, temperatures Tuesday afternoon were quite steady as they were predicted to be and did not drop below 0 until 7:00pm. Southwest clearly has a different calculous about what the losses are from a cancelled flight than most other major airlines. Why would a plane landing at 2:00pm be 'stuck' in Chicago?

I do not understand how cold affects runway landing distance.
If the pavement is dry, extreme cold will actually shorten the runway distance needed to take off or land.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I'm not sure if MDW is totally closed for all Southwest flights tomorrow.

A friend of mine who had his Monday Flight back to MDW from LAS cancelled and was told there would be no fights until Friday was able to get a flight for Wednesday..

He saw flights open on the Web and was able to call and get on a Direct LAS/MDW flight for tomorrow.

Does it actually take off who knows but WN is selling tickets ( or in his case giving seats to stranded travelers) for LAS/MDW on 1/30.

I just looked at the website and I see 3 available flights into MDW from LAS for 1/30 and many more for Thurs 1/31.
His flight left LAS on landed in MDW on time today
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lougord99
Southwest has for years over-reacted to bad weather. I am thankful to have been able to transfer into one of the last flights into MDW today. Most people who were screwed will not get in until Friday or Saturday. I am currently disgusted with this airline.
Sounds like Southwest took these extreme temperatures seriously to me. I believe schools were closed and the city told people to stay indoors. Surely many employees called out anyhow for the well being of themselves and their families.

Sorry you feel screwed........
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:42 am
glg

Originally Posted by sleuth
Sounds like Southwest took these extreme temperatures seriously to me. I believe schools were closed and the city told people to stay indoors. Surely many employees called out anyhow for the well being of themselves and their families.

Sorry you feel screwed........
School is closed again in the city and most if not all suburbs. The temp at ORD right now just after 8:30 (when my kid's school would have started) is -17, -15 downtown. It's supposed to be up to 0 by afternoon, should feel downright balmy...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by glg
School is closed again in the city and most if not all suburbs. The temp at ORD right now just after 8:30 (when my kid's school would have started) is -17, -15 downtown. It's supposed to be up to 0 by afternoon, should feel downright balmy...
And 40 by the weekend.

My post office was open yesterday but they got no box mail delivery. Nearby Village Halls and schools were closed. Commuter train not running yesterday or today.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Southwest was definitely the most conservative carrier at DTW this week. Cancelled almost all flights Tuesday. Wednesday and today. Most of Delta's flights went out. I was supposed to fly to BWI on Tuesday, Cancelled and rebooked for today....cancelled. Ended up flying out today on Delta. Wish I had been smarter, would have switched to Delta on Wednesday. Oh, well. Lesson learned!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I suspect the issue was not with the flight facilities but concerns about getting staff to the airport. A good portion of the ground crew likely takes transit to MDW and the CTA has had some funding struggles.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:25 pm
glg

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I suspect the issue was not with the flight facilities but concerns about getting staff to the airport. A good portion of the ground crew likely takes transit to MDW and the CTA has had some funding struggles.
CTA was generally running fine per reports (sorry, no first hand, I stayed home). Metra (suburban commuter trains), OTOH had a bunch of problems. One line (Metra Electric, tracks also used by NICTD/South Shore) had their issues with the cold made worse by a freight train derailing and knocking down some of the overhead catenary wire. Line completely closed at least tomorrow as well. Hopefully the warmer weather over the weekend will make repairs a lot easier. Other lines had delays and stuff and canceled some runs likely due to lack of passengers as a lot of people just stayed home yesterday and today.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:28 pm
glg

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
And 40 by the weekend.
Crazy, right? Chicago Public was already scheduled to be off tomorrow, so it's a 5 day weekend for the kids (teachers have professional development tomorrow) and then when they go back Monday, it might hit 50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.