FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   New Southwest IFE w/Free movies - Amazon devices? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1952729-new-southwest-ife-w-free-movies-amazon-devices.html)

hurnik Jan 24, 2019 8:33 am

New Southwest IFE w/Free movies - Amazon devices?

So it seems that the new Southwest IFE with the free movies requires the Southwest App.
But it also seems that app doesn't exist for Amazon (Kindle) devices, and even if you backdoor the Google Play Store, it won't install on them.

Anyone else have any workaround/success?
I may have to fork out $250 for an actual Android/Samsung tablet (or iPad) as other airlines IFE don't seem to work with Amazon stuff either (and obviously Amazon isn't going to fix/update anything).

TortillaChip Jan 24, 2019 11:32 am

Encountering the same issue, even when trying to install the APK directly from APK Mirror

APK Mirror shows all app versions from the past year requiring Android 6.0+, while Fire tablets are built on Android 5.0 (except for the Fire 8 released in Nov 2018). So I think that's the issue and not sure we'll be able to overcome that until Amazon released a new suite of Fire tablets or upgrades old tablets (unlikely)

Flythefuture Jan 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Amazon isn't a tech company. They only buy stuff to sell I really doubt upgrades will be available.

bosbdl Jan 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Just log in to southwestwifi.com on Silk and you shouldn’t run into any issues. Both my husband and daughter did it on their Fires on Wednesday with no issues at all. I still had to use the airtime app on my iPad.

kennycrudup Jan 27, 2019 10:24 pm

Also, look for the "Onboard Player"; I don't know if that still applies (I've only used it once), though.

ursine1 Jan 28, 2019 2:42 am

You need the Southwest app for movies and on-demand TV shows. Live TV works via any recent browser. The onboard player isn't needed anymore.

joshua362 Jan 28, 2019 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Flythefuture (Post 30708319)
Amazon isn't a tech company. They only buy stuff to sell I really doubt upgrades will be available.

Hardly accurate:

https://aws.amazon.com/

They'll fix something when a cost-benefit accountant tells them to do so!

rthib Jan 30, 2019 9:53 am

You can install the app. Google installing google play on fire. Don't have to jail break or anything, just install some APK.

TortillaChip Jan 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by rthib (Post 30719207)
You can install the app. Google installing google play on fire. Don't have to jail break or anything, just install some APK.

While you are correct that the Google Play Store can be installed on Fire tablets, the Southwest app is "incompatible with this device". Loading the APK directly fails as well, see the second comment for explanation why.

Have you gotten the Southwest app to install on a Fire tablet?

rthib Jan 30, 2019 5:13 pm

It works on my Fire HD 8.

TortillaChip Jan 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Which you bought November 2018 or later? You are on the new FireOS which is compatible...please see second post

TortillaChip Jul 4, 2019 9:34 am

Bumping, just discovered we can download "Airtime Player" from the Google play store on our Kindle Fires to access free movies etc. If you don't have play store installed it's super easy, just Google

Learned this during a FA's announcement! Wish I had one of those above and beyond vouchers on hand to give him... This has been ailing me for months

Tim Miller Mar 6, 2020 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik (Post 30694808)
So it seems that the new Southwest IFE with the free movies requires the Southwest App.
But it also seems that app doesn't exist for Amazon (Kindle) devices, and even if you backdoor the Google Play Store, it won't install on them.

Anyone else have any workaround/success?
I may have to fork out $250 for an actual Android/Samsung tablet (or iPad) as other airlines IFE don't seem to work with Amazon stuff either (and obviously Amazon isn't going to fix/update anything).

don't go through the app. Open up the browser, and choose desktop mode

this Fool's Southwest into thinking you are on a computer and let you watch the movie via the browser