Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase agent told me I had 30 days to use SW Miles

Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Have opened and closed a number of cards to get CP for DH and me for 5+ years. Not too worried points will vanish, but strange language read by Chase agent today when I cancelled a SW card.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: none
If that's exactly what the agent told you, I think the agent is wrong.

If that's NOT exactly what the agent told you, there's not enough information to understand this post. .
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Sum Ting Wong - I've had this read to me in the past but it referred to points native that that issuer, for example Citibank "Thank you points" or BOA whatevers.

Perhaps they mixed this up with UR points or is a holdover relic from when it took $1200 in spend to generate a WN credit.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Correct quote and I believe read, as in “I have to tell you the following.”
Yeah, probably confused with UR points but when I questioned her she said check with Southwest.
No big deal, but could be confusing to some.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It may have been a bungled way of trying to say something like you have 30 days to pay the entire balance or the points vanish.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
It may have been a bungled way of trying to say something like you have 30 days to pay the entire balance or the points vanish.

But... bungled or not, that would be untrue as well.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
But... bungled or not, that would be untrue as well.
So what is the rule for points that are given you assuming you are going to pay the balance, if you then cancel CC and do not pay timely?

Clawback?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Chase does not own the points WN Does, and they are in your account,
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:10 pm

The only thing in question would be whether the points are in a statement that hasn't closed and the points transferred to WN yet. But then, assuming you've paid off the balance before the statement closed, what they should say (I've been in that situation) is "Don't you want to wait for the statement to close so you can get those points?".
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:23 pm

Points are earned from purchases, and have nothing to do with payments or charge account balance. Once transferred to Southwest they are (except in very rare circumstances) not clawed back.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by rove312
The only thing in question would be whether the points are in a statement that hasn't closed and the points transferred to WN yet. But then, assuming you've paid off the balance before the statement closed, what they should say (I've been in that situation) is "Don't you want to wait for the statement to close so you can get those points?".
If you voluntarily close your account you don't need to wait until after the statement date in order to receive any points you've earned since the last statement. Chase will still send the points to Southwest after the account is closed, and you'll still have the "usual" amount of time in which to make your (in this case final) payment.

If Chase closes your account, however, you won't receive the points -- see below.

This info is from the Rapid Rewards Priority Card Rewards Program Agreement (pdf download), which is on this page: Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card (click on *Offer Details, the pdf link is under Earning Points.)

How you could lose your points

You’ll immediately lose all points or TQP that haven’t been transferred to Southwest Airlines if your account status changes, or your account is closed, for any of the following reasons:

• you don’t make the minimum payment on your account within 60 days of the due date
  • you fail to comply with this or other agreements you have with Chase
  • we believe you may be unwilling or unable to pay your debts on time
  • you file for bankruptcy
  • we believe that you’ve engaged in fraudulent activity related to your account or this program
  • we believe that you’ve misused this program in any way, for example: by repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the purpose of generating rewards
  • We won’t reinstate points or TQP you lose, unless we’ve made an error.
  • If your account is closed for any other reason, we’ll automatically transfer any points or TQP earned to Southwest Airlines, as long as you don’t lose them for any of the reasons described in this agreement.
roundtree likes this.

Last edited by ursine1; Jan 24, 2019 at 4:36 am
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:40 am

First, the bit read was not true.

Second, I heard this more when it came to using More Rewards. It could refer to that because you had to have a card type listed in your account to use MR before it was opened up to everyone. That card type would fall off earlier than 30 days for some and it created exception requests.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Once the points are transferred to Southwest - via the monthly end of statement process - they are not your points within your Southwest account.

It is zero to do when you pay Chase. After all, some people only pay the minimum each month. VERY Fnnn STUPID.

100% sure the agent did not say exactly what was in the first post - or was wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.