Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"It's going to be choppy! No Service, Sorry!"..a trick?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"It's going to be choppy! No Service, Sorry!"..a trick?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Yes it's called the merger with AirTran. It poisoned the front-line staff and corporate.
I miss Airtran, but Sothwest's decline has more to do with GK than anything else.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: WN A+ Preffered CP, DL SK GOld, AA Gold
I fly this route at least once a week, sometimes more. You get 20-25 minutes max of service time between takeoff, leveling and then preparing for landing. Once you clear the mountains of southern Nevada, you can have Santa Ana winds coming from California, heat rising from the valley floor in the spring, summer and fall and to top it all off, you are getting into line with many flights coming into the So. Cal. basin, i.e. LAX, BUR, ONT, SNA, LGB and SAN. Most flights level off at 28,000 or 29,000 feet. I've been on flights where it's been full and the FA's getting 2 drinks in and on flights where there's 30 folks and no drinks. On the other hand, been stuck on DL aka SkyWest and they refuse to serve drinks at all, too short of flight. Spirit, yuck. Last week, I was on 2 different round trips, full flighs both directions, CES was in town and we've had storms into LAS and So. Cal. One flight our of 4 they didn't serve. Not too worried that I didn't get four sips of a Coke. It's not a old WN versus AT. I see that more on the long flights.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Nighttime BUR-OAK flights often have no service, and the turbulence threshold can be very low.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Do you REALLY care whether you get a service on a 45 minute in the air flight with 20 minutes to serve and clean up???

There was another recent thread about this. WN FA serves drink, 3min later demands it be thrown away

I am at a loss as to why people care about the service on short flights.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by lougord99
Do you REALLY care whether you get a service on a 45 minute in the air flight with 20 minutes to serve and clean up???

There was another recent thread about this. WN FA serves drink, 3min later demands it be thrown away

I am at a loss as to why people care about the service on short flights.
A BS drink coupon only good for that flight (day) would be the only reason I would REALLY care !

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 21, 2019 at 9:39 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
To me it's more egregious on a 4+ hour transcon where the FAs will complete one drink service and then go sit in the galley and do their best to ignore all pax for the duration.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:58 pm

I've seen this happen on very short flights a lot. We recently had a captain announcement that flight attendants would need to stay seated the entire flight (STL-MSY, Dec. 31). After about 10 minutes of uneventful air, however, there was some grumbling in the cabin...and then without any additional announcement the flight attendants got up to do drink service.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:25 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joshua362
A BS drink coupon only good for that flight (day) would be the only reason I would REALLY care !
i see this occasionally on STL-MCI-STL and about 50% of those flights ended up being smooth as glass.(and usually when I’m flying on a BS fare &#128527
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
i commute OAK-RNO-OAK and can say that we get drink service maybe 20% of the time. Now---it is a 28 minute flight with lounges at either end, so no big deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.