Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Lost out on $1500 voucher due to being relatively calm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost out on $1500 voucher due to being relatively calm

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
If they didn't, this would happen all the time.

Given the frequency with which people whine on this board about anything, it seems to be exceedingly rare. Weather can change at the last minute, etc.
SWA acknowledged serious issues with weight records a few months ago. I'd hold off awarding the benefit of the doubt in the OPs case.

“Today (Wednesday) we discovered the weights being sent to our Dispatch Operation did not match our other weight records for a number of aircraft in the fleet. As a result, and of an abundance of caution, we have stopped flying those aircraft to recalculate the weights of the aircraft in question and reset the program.”
Southwest Grounds Dozens of Aircraft After Weight Issues Discovered
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This method of distributing vouchers seems perfectly parallel with Southwest' boarding process.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
To WN veterans it was obvious that there was a problem that was preventing pushback.
Was it really only obvious to WN veterans that the plane was still at the gate?? I bet anyone sitting by a window had a pretty good idea the plane hadn't moved.
PlaneJane1 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by LegalTender
It should never be “a regular occurrence” if the airline knows it’s sold every seat. Counting on 5 no-shows to reconcile the cargo manifest is a piss-poor policy.
Where dd anyone say this is some policy or regular occurrence or that there was any hope of 5 no shows??
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yet another factor to consider for those people who post here about how important seat location is.
My thoughts exactly. I can imagine the posts here on the forum... "They wouldn't have this problem if there were assigned seats!!"
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I'm guessing this is more of a problem with the -800's? Had "unfavorable winds" on a MCO-PHX flight, completely full -700 and we had to take on more fuel. We were completely safe weight wise but 1-2 people chose to voluntarily get off because they were scared lol.
LegalTender and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:31 am

Given that the airline cancelled 30 flights and grounded 66 planes for a weight reporting lapse in August, it's hard to conclude that "unfavorable winds" led to OPs recent delay. Yes, it sure could have. But I suspect the reason may be more complicated.

In the memo, Southwest employees were instructed to give this reason to customers regarding the cancellations:

“This aircraft is temporarily out of service while we work on its paperwork. The system that calculates and reports the aircraft’s weight is not working properly.”
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did the 5 people add up to 1000 pounds?

Forget elites. They should offer it to the fattest people first, to minimize the number of vouchers required.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I'm guessing this is more of a problem with the -800's? Had "unfavorable winds" on a MCO-PHX flight, completely full -700 and we had to take on more fuel. We were completely safe weight wise but 1-2 people chose to voluntarily get off because they were scared lol.
lol what were they scared of? Only been concerned flying about twice. One was an aborted take off with oil spewing out of an engine in the islands, the other was fuel spewing out of a wing leak on an MD88 lol 50 knot crosswind landings can be a little dicey too
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Did the 5 people add up to 1000 pounds?

Forget elites. They should offer it to the fattest people first, to minimize the number of vouchers required.
Believe it or not, for weight & balance calculation purposes, the FAA defines a "person" as a flat 170 pounds no matter what the actual weights they are. (Or at least they did when I was taught). I imagine a lot of rounding and safety cushion goes into the calculation being theoretical calculations anyway.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by joshua362
Believe it or not, for weight & balance calculation purposes, the FAA defines a "person" as a flat 170 pounds no matter what the actual weights they are. (Or at least they did when I was taught). I imagine a lot of rounding and safety cushion goes into the calculation being theoretical calculations anyway.
On very small planes, the check-in person will ask you how much you weigh. But for big planes, yup, average is fine.

If a take-off at MGTOW lifted off the ground 100 feet before the end of the runway, then it could be an issue. But that's not allowed; that is WAY past the legal limit.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362
In that case shouldn't they have needed 6 people?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
In that case shouldn't they have needed 6 people?
On large aircraft such as a B737, the assumed pax weight has crept up to 185 lbs. Also assumed that checked bags weigh 25 lbs each. WN should know how many checked bags each pax has, but were they were offloaded?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by bmw745ion19s
lol what were they scared of?...
Keep in mind that many of your fellow passengers are just barely okay with flying in the first place. I am sure there are some that are praying the flight will be cancelled so they can go back home and fly in this crazy plane. Beyond logic, but human emotion often overtakes logic and common sense.

If you listen around you next time there is delay because of a warning light or simple malfunction, you will hear people chatting that the are nervous. They seem to think the pilot would fly even if knew it was dangerous. Again, logic and common sense have no bearing for many people.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hilarious. Believe it or not, but most people who buy a ticket actually want to get where they are going - not to make some coin on the flight. This probably goes double for those who fly a lot aka elite aka A-list so it makes no sense to offer first to elites nor would that go over well with the kettle crowd.

With all of the weather this week OP should feel fortunate to get where they were going. Personally I like seats up front but I'm not going to take a middle seat there vs. an aisle farther back because there is a 1/100,000 chance of a VDB call after everyone has boarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.