Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass Lounge The Club MDW opening late 2024

Priority Pass Lounge The Club MDW opening late 2024

Old May 4, 2023, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
All this "Southwest would never let it happen!" and "They'll never make money without premium pax!" was all true in 2018/2019 when the signed the contract. What's changed?
Maybe lounge metrics have changed. A great deal has. "The average MDW flyer is probably less likely to have PP than the average ATL flyer" isn't a bugle call.

"We still don't have a date on the pending construction" is the last, best thing in writing.
Old May 28, 2023, 3:09 am

The area where I Think the map shows the lounge to be has been under construction. Does this mean that it is likely that they might be working on the lounge?

Last edited by guflyer; May 28, 2023 at 3:15 am
Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Officially announced:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...ubu-story.html

"Construction on the airport lounge, called The Club MDW is expected to begin in early 2024, and the lounge is set to open in the fall."

Rendering from CDA:

Old Sep 27, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Only four years late.....

Should be called.....Club SWA!!.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Sure now that I have no faith in Southwest and no need to commute to Chicago every other week to visit family, now they open the lounge at Midway.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:22 pm

Glad to see this lounge is happening despite some people saying it wouldn't. I can't imagine how busy this lounge will get - 3300 sq feet is particularly small for a lounge and I'd guess you're seeing most of the space in that render. The Club CHS looks to be about 20% larger (albeit in a footprint that ain't great) and there are a good number of complaints about wait times there. CHS has about 70% less traffic than MDW, so this seems like it will be perennially crowded, even assuming the amount of Priority Passes per capita flying out of MDW is lower.
m907 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:27 pm

No way it opens on schedule. Winter 2026, maybe.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Glad to see this lounge is happening despite some people saying it wouldn't. I can't imagine how busy this lounge will get - 3300 sq feet is particularly small for a lounge and I'd guess you're seeing most of the space in that render. The Club CHS looks to be about 20% larger (albeit in a footprint that ain't great) and there are a good number of complaints about wait times there. CHS has about 70% less traffic than MDW, so this seems like it will be perennially crowded, even assuming the amount of Priority Passes per capita flying out of MDW is lower.
Some of the bigger The Club lounges (e.g. ATL) also serve as contract lounges for premium/status pax on overseas carriers, whereas I assume that won't be happening at MDW. So that will help with the space a little bit.
lowfareair and jamesteroh like this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Perfect timing with the Delta announcement. I haven't taken Southwest in years but unless Delta maskes some esrious rollbacks to their announcements, I'm going to be a free agent and fly to chicago a lot.

Main drawback to using WN, even though I prefer Midway over ORD, is no lounge if there is a delay. WN will be getting a lot of my monthly chicago flights if this opens next year

Even if I do stick with Diamond with DL, it will be nice having the lounge since MDW is more convenient to the loop.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Some of the bigger The Club lounges (e.g. ATL) also serve as contract lounges for premium/status pax on overseas carriers, whereas I assume that won't be happening at MDW. So that will help with the space a little bit.
Yeah, the only airlines I know of at MDW are Delta, Porter and Southwest. None of those airlines would contract with PP.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Yeah, the only airlines I know of at MDW are Delta, Porter and Southwest. None of those airlines would contract with PP.
Volaris, Frontier, Avelo and Allegiant round out the carriers at Midway. None of them use contract lounges but Priority Pass alone will keep a Midway lounge packed at peak times.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:51 pm

That's why I mentioned CHS as they also have no post-COVID airlines who would contract the lounge, yet still report a wait despite having more space and way less passenger traffic compared to the space MDW will have.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by m907
No way it opens on schedule. Winter 2026, maybe.
It seems to me that it is already way behind schedule, based upon prior posts. What I do not understand is why it will still take another year and not open until the Fall of 2024.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by guflyer
It seems to me that it is already way behind schedule, based upon prior posts. What I do not understand is why it will still take another year and not open until the Fall of 2024.
Airport Dimensions could have pending projects to finish.

Club JAX allows in 52 with similar square footage. Club BWI capacity is 50.
m907 and TortillaChip like this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 1:35 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Anyone can predict that this club will be mobbed and essentially unusable. Easier than reserving a saver seat in business class, but not by much.
Air Houston and m907 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.