Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass Lounge The Club MDW opening late 2024

Priority Pass Lounge The Club MDW opening late 2024

Old Apr 18, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Is Chicago the "city that works" or in 2023 the "city that worked" back in the 20th century?
Well, considering it was the senior Mayor Daley that coined the phrase...
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjbiv
I would doubt Southwest has veto power over MDW Airport terminal tenants and I imagine they would welcome a lounge tenant vs. another restaurant. More likely is the City of Chicago Department of Aviation vetoed the idea, wanted an obscene amount of rent, or the lounge operator no longer could make the business case work post-CoVID-19. Chicago is a great city to work in -- as long as you are connected to the right people in city leadership.
Unless something has changed in the last few weeks, the PP lounge is delayed but still planning to open:

Originally Posted by threeoh
Update:

"I can confirm that the lounge is still in the plan, is currently under development, and Airport Dimensions, previously known as ALD, is still the operator for this space. We are excited to bring this new passenger choice to MDW for the first time!

The redevelopment program schedule has been revised as a result of the challenges caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. This also required changes to the phasing of when spaces are developed so that passengers are not inconvenienced by the redevelopment."
Old Apr 19, 2023, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
MDW, HOU & DAL aren't typical landlords. Southwest paid all the Hobby expansion ten years ago in a deal with the council. New international connections there are gravy for 3rd party lounges. If Southwest wanted one in the concourse it built - the deal would get made. The rebuffs aren't comprehensible to the masses.
That's exactly what I said - it doesn't make sense why Southwest would veto it (if they are the reason) given they don't have to be closely involved and not having a 3rd party lounge accessible with a CC is becoming a burden vs a small fringe benefit. For example, DFW has 11 lounges that a credit card can get access to, from all 3 major airline lounge CCs to Amex/C1's branded lounges and The Club for Priority Pass holders vs nothing at DAL.

For those who can't expense everything (e.g. I'm on a per-diem when traveling, others may be a small business owner where expensing food still shows in their bottom line), having lounges as a frequent traveler can save quite a bit throughout the year and can likely play a factor in the airline the person prefers when traveling.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I dont think it makes sense for WN to veto it either and don’t think they have that power.

If anything if there was a lounge at MDW, I would consider flying WN again if they were cheaper than Delta. Main two reasons I fly DL on ORD to DTW is that if there is a delay I have lounge access at ORD at the skyclub where I have no lounges at MDW. Plus DL can interline me on a United flight if there is a severe delay or cancel at ORD.

I’d be happy if PP even had just a restaurant credit someplace at MDW.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I dont think it makes sense for WN to veto it either and dont think they have that power.

If anything if there was a lounge at MDW, I would consider flying WN again if they were cheaper than Delta..
Southwest isn't keen on seeing this at MDW.

nsx likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Southwest isn't keen on seeing this at MDW.

Why would southwest care about a lounge line? Means fewer people waiting in the gate area. I've seen long lines at LAS at the AmEx lounge where WN has a big prescence.

I thought LGA skyclub had a priority diamond line anyway.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 11:06 pm

Why would southwest care about a lounge line? Means fewer people waiting in the gate area. I've seen long lines at LAS at the AmEx lounge where WN has a big prescence..
MDW is space-limited. A grab-and-go venture might struggle to run a profit. Much less private telephone rooms, full-service bar, reception area, catered buffet and workspace areas.

AmEx at LAS has 13,400 square feet.

Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Why would southwest care about a lounge line? Means fewer people waiting in the gate area. I've seen long lines at LAS at the AmEx lounge where WN has a big prescence.

I thought LGA skyclub had a priority diamond line anyway.
As to Vegas.... I doubt that WN passengers make up a big part of those in the lounge since it is located over in the D concourse, which requires the tram over there, and then back to B/C gates.

Yes, some folks do that. We do it all the time, but we go nuts over a free drink - LOL!
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

MDW is space-limited. A grab-and-go venture might struggle to run a profit. Much less private telephone rooms, full-service bar, reception area, catered buffet and workspace areas.

AmEx at LAS has 13,400 square feet.

So the lounge being built at MDW is 3,701 square feet. How does this compare to "The Club" properties at ATL, etc?
Old Apr 29, 2023, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
So the lounge being built at MDW is 3,701 square feet. How does this compare to "The Club" properties at ATL, etc?
The Club at ATL is 7,527 square feet.

Escape Lounge PHX is 4,500 square feet.
threeoh likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 8:54 pm

The Club at ATL is 7,527 square feet.

Escape Lounge PHX is 4,500 square feet.
The Wingtips closet at STL is 2600 square ft. so at least this potential lounge would be bigger than that, but I don't count on it being some sort of relaxing oasis
Old May 3, 2023, 8:47 am
Original Poster

The Club properties at most airports also serve as contract lounges for premium passengers on various international airlines that don't have their own lounge. I know The Club @ ATL has a whole area (to the left of the desk) that is roped off for much of the day and reserved for these premium pax (while PP card holders and cash users go to the right of the desk).

At MDW, my guess is the new lounge will not play this role at all. So that will reduce demand / square footage needs somewhat.

Add to that that the average MDW flyer is probably less likely to have PP than the average ATL flyer.

Anyhow, if it's crowded you aren't obligated to use it! You're not going to be any worse off than now. At least it will get a couple hundred people out of the terminal.

Personally I don't plan to use it much because MDW is so efficient and I have Pre, so I rarely get to the airport early enough to do anything but go straight to the gate. But on occasion I get there early, or for flight delays, it will be a nice option. (And of course, useful for non-Chicago-based people who are connecting.)
Old May 3, 2023, 10:32 am

A 3-year toe in the water is pretty telling.

Contracts with international airlines that don't have their own lounge seems essential to their business model. Possible they can't cover their lease with $50 one-day passes at MDW.

Airport still have the 3701 square foot space unused?
Old May 3, 2023, 11:03 am

A 3-year toe in the water is pretty telling.

Contracts with international airlines that don't have their own lounge seems essential to their business model. Possible they can't cover their lease with $50 one-day passes at MDW.

Airport still have the 3701 square foot space unused?
A few years ago MDW did a large expansion of the walkway over Cicero Ave. which allowed them to move the security checkpoint back towards the check in area. This freed up a lot of square footage in the central market area. I think Covid stalled some of the progress but it looks like now they are starting to get moving on filling some of the empty space. Doesn't seem like anyone has any definitive info on what's going there though
LegalTender likes this.
Old May 4, 2023, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

I don't see the purpose of or motivation behind this speculation.

An airport spokesperson has said within the last few weeks that it's still under development (just delayed for Covid), that Collinson is still the developer, the allocated space (see map upthread) is definitely still available, and domestic flying (incl flights @ MDW) has recovered almost 100%.

All this "Southwest would never let it happen!" and "They'll never make money without premium pax!" was all true in 2018/2019 when the signed the contract. What's changed?

I'm inclined to believe it's delayed 2-3 years due to Covid and knock-on effects until someone presents strong evidence otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.