Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass Lounge The Club MDW opening late 2024

Priority Pass Lounge The Club MDW opening late 2024

Old Apr 14, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
As I return to this thread over the years, I remember that O’Hare also has a paucity of airline lounges.

Not knowing much about how Chicago works, wonder if there is someone on the airport commission that just thinks lounges are bad or something?
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
As I return to this thread over the years, I remember that O’Hare also has a paucity of airline lounges.

Not knowing much about how Chicago works, wonder if there is someone on the airport commission that just thinks lounges are bad or something?
Chicago is "The City That Works". No time to sit around wasting time in a lounge!
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Chicago is "The City That Works". No time to sit around wasting time in a lounge!
Pretty sure that is Stamford

Chicago is more like The City That Works...as long as you have the right connections. The whole Midway concessions revamp was a debacle with politically-connected folks getting % of gross sales into perpetuity and other ridiculous financial clauses
jjbiv and m907 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by TortillaChip
Pretty sure that is Stamford

Chicago is more like The City That Works...as long as you have the right connections. The whole Midway concessions revamp was a debacle with politically-connected folks getting % of gross sales into perpetuity and other ridiculous financial clauses
The new security corridor got us some good coin though..... At least it did for the 2-3 guys we sent there during that project.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:32 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Is Chicago the "city that works" or in 2023 the "city that worked" back in the 20th century?
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:18 am
Original Poster

I wouldn't say O'Hare has a paucity of lounges -- it just doesn't have any good Priority Pass lounges. It has:

2 x USO
2 x Admirals
1 x Flagship
4 x United Club
1 x Polaris
1 x Sky Club
1 x JAL Sakura
1 x Swissport
1 x BA
1 x SAS

That's 14 by my count.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:36 am

Better question is why wouldn't - for example - Escape Lounges work in HOU, DAL or MDW?

Insurmountable logistics and fine print? The landlords don't want the lease revenue?

More likely Southwest has been approached - and vetoed. VIP exclusive zones and corporate partnerships are messy.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
I wouldn't say O'Hare has a paucity of lounges -- it just doesn't have any good Priority Pass lounges. It has:

2 x USO
2 x Admirals
1 x Flagship
4 x United Club
1 x Polaris
1 x Sky Club
1 x JAL Sakura
1 x Swissport
1 x BA
1 x SAS

That's 14 by my count.
But only one rarely open Priority Pass lounge, no Priority Pass restaurants, no Centurion lounge, no Plaza Premium lounges, no Capital One lounges, etc. Compare that to peer airports like ATL, DFW, JFK, DEN, LAS or LAX...the only other US airports with more than 10m enplanements and so few third party lounge options would be Salt Lake City...and yes, Chicago Midway.
BearX220 and m907 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 7:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
But only one rarely open Priority Pass lounge, no Priority Pass restaurants, no Centurion lounge, no Plaza Premium lounges, no Capital One lounges, etc. Compare that to peer airports like ATL, DFW, JFK, DEN, LAS or LAX...the only other US airports with more than 10m enplanements and so few third party lounge options would be Salt Lake City...and yes, Chicago Midway.
LAX has no Priority Pass or Plaza Premium lounges.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh

2 x USO
2 x Admirals
1 x Flagship
4 x United Club
1 x Polaris
1 x Sky Club
1 x JAL Sakura
1 x Swissport
1 x BA
1 x SAS

That's 14 by my count.
…and most of them useless unless you’re flying a specific airline. This is the WN forum.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
LAX has no Priority Pass or Plaza Premium lounges.
LAX has several Priority Pass restaurants (good for CapitalOne/Chase customers), and a great Centurion lounge (for Amex customers). Chicago? Think there is opportunity for growth. Plus...Ontario has two Priority Pass lounges, and Orange County offers two airline lounges which compares rather favorably to Chicago's secondary airports of Midway and Milwaukee (one airline lounge) none of which open to most Southwest passengers.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
LAX has several Priority Pass restaurants (good for CapitalOne/Chase customers), and a great Centurion lounge (for Amex customers). Chicago? Think there is opportunity for growth. Plus...Ontario has two Priority Pass lounges, and Orange County offers two airline lounges which compares rather favorably to Chicago's secondary airports of Midway and Milwaukee (one airline lounge) none of which open to most Southwest passengers.
Crapital One dropped the restaurants and other non-lounge benefits January 1 with less than a month's advance notice and no annual fee refund or any other adjustment.
Air Houston and m907 like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
More likely Southwest has been approached - and vetoed. VIP exclusive zones and corporate partnerships are messy.
That seems like a bad move, if true. If I have to take a layover, I'll often do a connecting airport where I can wait in the lounge if the price/schedule is close enough. I've flown WN through PHX/DEN where I have lounge options but at the same time have opted for other airlines when the only decent connection on WN is through MDW.

It shouldn't have to be any sort of partnership or direct affiliation with Southwest if WN doesn't want to deal with it - they just have to say "go nuts" to a 3rd party operator and potentially take a cut of the rent (depending how the terminal leases are set up).
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
It shouldn't have to be any sort of partnership or direct affiliation with Southwest if WN doesn't want to deal with it - they just have to say "go nuts" to a 3rd party operator and potentially take a cut of the rent (depending how the terminal leases are set up).
MDW, HOU & DAL aren't typical landlords. Southwest paid all the Hobby expansion ten years ago in a deal with the council. New international connections there are gravy for 3rd party lounges. If Southwest wanted one in the concourse it built - the deal would get made. The rebuffs aren't comprehensible to the masses.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:09 am

I would doubt Southwest has veto power over MDW Airport terminal tenants and I imagine they would welcome a lounge tenant vs. another restaurant. More likely is the City of Chicago Department of Aviation vetoed the idea, wanted an obscene amount of rent, or the lounge operator no longer could make the business case work post-CoVID-19. Chicago is a great city to work in -- as long as you are connected to the right people in city leadership.
m907 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.