FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   14 Month-Old In Own Seat - Documentation Needed? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1950466-14-month-old-own-seat-documentation-needed.html)

HtomSirveaux Jan 11, 2019 9:44 am

14 Month-Old In Own Seat - Documentation Needed?

In a couple of weeks we are taking our 14 month-old on her first plane trip (Domestic, ISP-MCO.) To avoid any possible complication, we bought her her own WGA seat and will be using an infant carrier/seat (as well as signed her up for her own RR account). In preparing, what documentation/paperwork do I need to make sure we have with us? Since she won't be a lap infant, do we need to verify anything at the front counters or can we go directly towards the gates? Then what do we need to have ready for TSA and the gate? Lastly if the answer to the question is "birth certificate" does it need to be original, or is a copy acceptable? Unfortunately this didn't seem very clear of what's needed in exactly what cases and what forms they can take.

PlaneJane1 Jan 11, 2019 10:19 am

Nothing extra is needed. You can do normal check in for boarding passes. No ID needed for SWA or TSA.

PAX62 Jan 11, 2019 10:20 am

Not sure of your answer to what is required for a ticketed minor, but in regards to the Birth Certificate we asked the Ticket Counter on our last trip with a Lap Chid and they said a digital copy on the phone was acceptable and the parents did not need the actual certificate in hand. That was for Southwest verification, not TSA.

Often1 Jan 11, 2019 10:43 am

The WN website is your friend:

"If you are not traveling on a Infant, Child, or Senior Fare, you do not need to be age verified to request your boarding pass on Southwest.com or at an Self-Service kiosk."

Do make sure that your car seat is "FAA Approved". Should be a sticker in it. Don't need to show anything to anybody, but if asked, be ready to show the tag.

freeflyin Jan 11, 2019 11:46 am

She will only need her boarding pass.

If you have TSA Precheck,she can also go through with you

HtomSirveaux Jan 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks all for the responses. Been dreading all of the specifics, but maybe this won't be so bad after all (other than behavior once on the plane...)

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30641688)
The WN website is your friend:

"If you are not traveling on a Infant, Child, or Senior Fare, you do not need to be age verified to request your boarding pass on Southwest.com or at an Self-Service kiosk."

Do make sure that your car seat is "FAA Approved". Should be a sticker in it. Don't need to show anything to anybody, but if asked, be ready to show the tag.

That must be on a different page than the one about babies I linked above. And yeah about the sticker (I've even read that for some reason some FA's insist that it had to be printed in red, which it is on the Cosco Scenera Next we're using)

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 30641987)
She will only need her boarding pass.

If you have TSA Precheck,she can also go through with you

Interesting; I had more or less written off PreCheck (myself and my wife have it, then it's luck of the draw to see if it shows up on my mother-in-law's BP). Even then, I had figured the baby stuff would slow the line down and wouldn't be allowed. Not as big of a deal at ISP, but MCO on the other hand....

NoStressHere Jan 11, 2019 3:06 pm

Many folks will confuse things easily and some well meaning folks can easily give you conflicting information. Your process is the same as a 5 or 10 year old. Check in and get on plane.

Lap babies are a bit different because age is a factor.

NextTrip Jan 11, 2019 3:18 pm

If you have baby food or filled baby bottles, take them out of the carryon bag and run them separately before they go through the x-ray for TSA inspection. Otherwise, TSA will hold you up while they dig through and inspect and rerun your entire bag along with testing the "liquids".

chuckworth Jan 11, 2019 4:11 pm

While we are at it...changing table is only in the forward lav if you are on a -700. In both the forward and aft lavs on the -800.

dlaue Jan 11, 2019 5:00 pm

We have traveled with our granddaughter since she was an infant, including several international trips. We have the same last name. We used to carry “permission “ papers from her parents, but never needed to use them. Of course she has always had her own passport.

Don't sweat it.

fiuchris Jan 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by chuckworth (Post 30643090)
While we are at it...changing table is only in the forward lav if you are on a -700. In both the forward and aft lavs on the -800.

This isn't entirely accurate.

- Original SWA 700s (737-7H4s built for WN) have the changing table in the front lav. Used 700s have them front or back depending on how they came from the previous carrier.
- Newer -800s and -8MAX have them in all three lavs. Some older -800s are only in one in the back.

chuckworth Jan 11, 2019 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by fiuchris (Post 30643498)
This isn't entirely accurate.

- Original SWA 700s (737-7H4s built for WN) have the changing table in the front lav. Used 700s have them front or back depending on how they came from the previous carrier.
- Newer -800s and -8MAX have them in all three lavs. Some older -800s are only in one in the back.

Thanks for the update on this! My little flyers are now 4 and 6, so it has been a few years since we have had to utilize the changing tables.

aptravel Jan 12, 2019 10:22 am

Originally Posted by NextTrip (Post 30642853)
If you have baby food or filled baby bottles, take them out of the carryon bag and run them separately before they go through the x-ray for TSA inspection. Otherwise, TSA will hold you up while they dig through and inspect and rerun your entire bag along with testing the "liquids".

Good reminders on the fluids.

If you have precheck you should definitely use it. Kids 12 and under are allowed to go thru with parents. Don't think they can deny you just because of fluids or a car seat. You will have new appreciation for having it!

FindAWay Jan 12, 2019 12:33 pm

OP, You may also be interested in other tips from the travel with children forum here on FT: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-children-221/

dlaue Jan 13, 2019 9:33 am

Originally Posted by aptravel (Post 30645599)
Good reminders on the fluids.

If you have precheck you should definitely use it. Kids 12 and under are allowed to go thru with parents. Don't think they can deny you just because of fluids or a car seat. You will have new appreciation for having it!

But...if you have Global Entry, your baby is supposed to have their own GE when returning to the USA. If you apologize to the officer, they will usually let you use the GE process with your child. (as an aside, what meaningful question can they ask during the GE interview of an 18 month old?). Of course, your child must have their own passport.