Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99

if it was acceptable to resell air tickets, I think I could make good money buying tickets far out and on sale and resell them close in at a discount to the airline price. This is particularly true on WN where I can continually roll over older unused tickets to newer tickets.
Sure. And if it were allowed, the market would adjust in some way (likely far reducing the arbitrage possibility) and all would be fine.

Giftwrap paper manufacturers do not prevent us from buying 90% closeout paper on 12/26 each year and reselling it 11 months later to make 500% profit. I really fail to see the difference.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Back in the 80s (and probably before) there was an active secondary market for one-way tickets here in the US because RT tickets were routinely cheaper than one-ways, and people only needing a OW would sell the return portion via the classifieds. I would book "unisex" RTs (first initial/last name) so that either gender could buy my leftover return ticket. Those were the days...no ID checks.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Sure. And if it were allowed, the market would adjust in some way (likely far reducing the arbitrage possibility) and all would be fine.

Giftwrap paper manufacturers do not prevent us from buying 90% closeout paper on 12/26 each year and reselling it 11 months later to make 500% profit. I really fail to see the difference.

Well, for the obvious: In your example, demand for the item is time-limited. It would not be for airline tickets.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The difference is high value to buyer and low value to seller. If air tickets could be resold airlines would change their pricing strategies to net the same amount of money. Non-resellers would pay more and resellers would pay less. There is no scenario in which resale would be allowed and pricing would remain the same.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
...Giftwrap paper manufacturers do not prevent us from buying 90% closeout paper on 12/26 each year and reselling it 11 months later to make 500% profit. I really fail to see the difference.
Some items/business models just do not do that.

Airlines and cruises are at least two I can think of right off. Just the way it is.

One of the big differences is "shelf life". A flight on March 15th, for example has ZERO value on March 16th. Your gift paper still has some sort of value. Not saying right or wrong, but just how the airline business runs.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Yep... it is rare enough there really is no issue for 95%+ of the customers.

Some folks just like to worry.

i never, ever worry about CC fraud. Neither should others.
I normally don't either. Well well well, guess what, my Amazon account was hacked Friday, email was changed to a Russian address.

Amazon has 2 step verification (if enabled) but no locking out of the account for too many password attempts which seems ridiculous.

Besides 2 stored credit cards, I have a gift card balance and links to use AMEX MR and Discover rewards balances from taking advantage of certain promotions.

Only got a simple "oh by the way your email address has been changed" text email that didn't even look legit or offer numbers or links for help in case of fraud.

I called within 8 hours to have the account locked and despite promises, it wasn't nor was stored payment info deleted nor was the call returned.

The email was unceremoniously changed back this morning and I was able to reset a password. All looks OK but the hacker used the account to review at least 35 products with 5 stars. And I spent my Saturday night changing passwords on all financial accounts using that email.

Live & learn, and beware!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by joshua362
I normally don't either. Well well well, guess what, my Amazon account was hacked Friday, email was changed to a Russian address...... All looks OK but the hacker used the account to review at least 35 products with 5 stars. And I spent my Saturday night changing passwords on all financial accounts using that email.

Live & learn, and beware!
Interesting events.

Though I still am not worried about my credit cards, the number of things on my Amazon account is a concern. I need to rethink my security there.

As to what the hacker actually did appear to accomplish is another story. I wonder if Amazon will reverse those ratings/reviews. Would love to see what products they went after to raise the ratings.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:50 am

Yes, the credit card is one thing likely easily fixed but the others like membership rewards & gift-cards, probably not as easy or timely restored if drained out.

And with Prime, everything like photos, storage, kindle, firestick, etc is connected.

Called again this morning to express my displeasure how it (wasn't) handled and offered to forward the review notifications via email. It was for stuff like screen protectors and other electronics. Hard to believe the hackers effort is worthwhile to promote products they have a financial interest in but Amazon can be the wild, wild west as a FORMER 3rd party seller on there. They said it was not necessary and could look into it internally and have them removed - with another promised followup in 24-48 hours. Probably many more than 35 reviews before I got the email switched back.

Honestly, Amazon was the last place I thought security would be factor...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Amazon has 2 step verification (if enabled)
I am sorry that you were compromised, but at least your situation prompted me to enable 2FA on my Amazon account.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brute force of getting into Amazon would not be that hard. Really wish they had the thing that would lock up after x number of attempts.

I went ahead and set up 2FA as suggested above. Very easy. And, you can set up regular devices to NOT require anything extra. Just makes it hard for a hacker to get in. (harder, not impossible - LOL)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Brute force of getting into Amazon would not be that hard. Really wish they had the thing that would lock up after x number of attempts.

I went ahead and set up 2FA as suggested above. Very easy. And, you can set up regular devices to NOT require anything extra.
Yes, that is a great idea, saw and did that just that. I probably had 3 computers that weren't "logged out" of Amazon for years. Hacker posted almost 400 different, personalized product reviews under my name. A click farm for sure took advantage. Amazing the scams out there...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Yes, the credit card is one thing likely easily fixed but the others like membership rewards & gift-cards, probably not as easy or timely restored if drained out.

And with Prime, everything like photos, storage, kindle, firestick, etc is connected.

Called again this morning to express my displeasure how it (wasn't) handled and offered to forward the review notifications via email. It was for stuff like screen protectors and other electronics. Hard to believe the hackers effort is worthwhile to promote products they have a financial interest in but Amazon can be the wild, wild west as a FORMER 3rd party seller on there. They said it was not necessary and could look into it internally and have them removed - with another promised followup in 24-48 hours. Probably many more than 35 reviews before I got the email switched back.

Honestly, Amazon was the last place I thought security would be factor...
Which does more to affect Amazon's bottom line (either in terms of "costs less" and/or "makes more")?

A. Making it somewhat harder for people to sign into accounts and buy stuff and some products not getting as many 5 star reviews?
B. Not making it harder and refunding some stuff, undoing some stuff, but people keep buying and accounts keep getting hacked to add 5 star reviews to help people make a decision to buy more stuff?

I'm thinking B. Well, there's also C. Making sure your CEO doesn't get divorced.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:49 am

C is funny. B's 5 star reviews are fake & phony though and don't help anyone! But they removed them at my urging.

So I enabled 2FA and got 2 texts in the middle of the night Saturday. The hacker was back for more!

What I don't think people realize is Amazon is not just a simply shopping account anymore within tie-ins to storage, non credit card payment methods, etc.

Beware!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...So I enabled 2FA and got 2 texts in the middle of the night Saturday. The hacker was back for more!...Beware!
Wow - they seem to like you - LOL!

Good to see the 2FA is working in your case.

I get Amazon does not want to make it too difficult - but at least locking after x number of attempts - even 5 would be enough to stop hackers.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
So I enabled 2FA and got 2 texts in the middle of the night Saturday. The hacker was back for more!
Dude- this isn't raising big hairy red flags for you?! I'm sure you've changed your PW, yet somehow and in the space of what, a week they have it again (I'd assume that incorrect PW attempts wouldn't get to where the 2FA would even get invoked).

I think maybe your router, phone or hell, even office may have either a malicious device or malicious code running somewhere. This can't be just chance they've gotten your PW twice now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.