Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

RR account hacked and SW has been unresponsive

Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by scfanatic97
Hi - that's exactly right - WN has the ability to track down the people that flew, find out how they got my points or were booked travel using my points. I just have their names, they actually know their IDs and far more. I am asking for their help to persecute these thiefs
Maybe, maybe not.

They have a name. It could be a fake name. It could be a common name. It could be a made up name.

WN does NOT have their ID. Nowhere in the process does the name on the ticket have to match the ID used to get through security. WN never checks an ID except when checking bags.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:42 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
Vouchers are the only form of payment that cannot be applied to the taxes and fees portion.
Which is a stupid restriction, easily evaded. Book the trip with voucher plus credit card, cancel and refund the card, then book it again with the remaining ticketless funds plus voucher.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bear in mind that if OP's account was hacked by third parties whom he does not know, they are likely part of an organized effort selling tickets to unwitting dupes who only know that they are buying dirt cheap tickets.

The hackers are pros, they know the rules and the vulnerabilities and they are not looking to build a lot of loyalty. So, if it falls apart for one customer and that customer has his ticket cancelled and is left stuck somewhere, that is just a cost of doing business.

Or, it is your coworker who bought a ticket for Aunt Minnie.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Hi - that's exactly right - WN has the ability to track down the people that flew, find out how they got my points or were booked travel using my points. I just have their names, they actually know their IDs and far more. I am asking for their help to persecute these thiefs
I think you're watching too many tv crime dramas. And why do you need to bring race/religion, and/or politics into this?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by booatx

TSA requires and ID and a boarding pass to proceed.
Yes, but they only require ID for some boarding pass. It doesn't need to be the boarding pass for the flight which was taken.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:30 am

I saw this was a “hot thread” in the flyer talk email newsletter I get, so I clicked on it because I too had someone steal point on December 31.

I have have spoken to SW and although they haven’t been 100% forthcoming with an explanation, they have told me plenty.

First, a hacker got into the SW system and infiltrated several peoples accounts. It was not done by hacking an individuals emails or password. So... everyone should change their passwords at SW because there is probably a list of user id’s and passwords being sold on the dark web as we speak.

Second, southwest have told me that due to the scope and size of the breach and theft, the corporate fraud department is investigating and I should rest assured that after their complete process/investigation, I will be reallocated my stolen points.

Third, the individual(s) who committed the fraud somehow acted as a third party travel agent or booking agent. This info I deduced based on several things the agent at corporate fraud mentioned during my conversation with her. It may not be actually the case.

unlike the the original poster, I have no complaints regarding SW customer service regarding the handling of the fraud up to this point. If I have one complaint it is that they won’t tell me WHEN they will return my points, only that the investigation could be 10 business days.

Bottom line, there is NO INTENET SECURITY. Every account we all have can and does get hacked and there are a million ways they can do it. Sometimes it’s through our own online habits, sometimes they hack the most secure businesses we do business with. If they can hack the credit reporting agencies, Visa, Master Card and the federal government, we should understand that theft through the intenet is a fact of our daily lives now. It sucks.

i hope I and others get our points back.
drooley likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Nowhere in the process does the name on the ticket have to match the ID used to get through security.
My wife was detained for about 30 minutes at TPA because we purchased the ticket using her maiden name before we were married and her drivers license had her married name. We purchased the tickets month in advance and forgot about the name change.

She had her passport buried in her carry on that showed he maiden name or I'm not sure if we would have made our flight

Originally Posted by justhere
My goodness, quite the naivete by some posters in this thread. What makes you think that the person who flew had to have their name on the ticket?
So you are saying we have no idea who is boarding planes and if I ever can't make a flight I can just sell my ticket to someone else as the name on the ticket doesn't matter..................

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:54 am

Go change your email address at Southwest.com. I guarantee you will get an email saying to verify that you made changes to your account.............maybe it went to spam if you makred and WN emails in the past as junk

.Dear XXXXXXXXXDone deal! Your Rapid Rewards® account has been successfully updated. Please verify the changes through your account at Southwest.com®.

-Your friends at Rapid Rewards
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by otee453
First, a hacker got into the SW system and infiltrated several peoples accounts. It was not done by hacking an individuals emails or password. So... everyone should change their passwords at SW because there is probably a list of user id’s and passwords being sold on the dark web as we speak.

Second, southwest have told me that due to the scope and size of the breach and theft, the corporate fraud department is investigating and I should rest assured that after their complete process/investigation, I will be reallocated my stolen points.

The airline acknowledges the scope and size and is keeping it all quiet?

God forbid some blog or news outlet gets wind.
flyer4512 and camaross like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender

Ive had the same thought. Why, if it’s as they told me and they were hacked and several accounts were breached... why have they not announced it publicly??

my thought was, either the breach was not all that large, the story I’ve been given was hogwash, or its all about corporate damage control and they weighed the damage of the data breach vs the public relations damage announcing a broad breach.

Ultimately, I hope I and others get our points back. I only lost 40,000 although they tried to get all of my points. Several purchase attempts were rejected because the credit card they tried to use to pay the sales tax on the tickets was rejected (so I was told).
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by flyer4512
My wife was detained for about 30 minutes at TPA because we purchased the ticket using her maiden name before we were married and her drivers license had her married name. We purchased the tickets month in advance and forgot about the name change.

She had her passport buried in her carry on that showed he maiden name or I'm not sure if we would have made our flight

So you are saying we have no idea who is boarding planes and if I ever can't make a flight I can just sell my ticket to someone else as the name on the ticket doesn't matter..................
Think through the process to get on the plane and you can figure this out.

Let's say you are at a bar in the airport and decide to not fly. Guy next to you just flew in and is about to head home and willing to buy your boarding pass from you. Would it work?

Of course it would.

Not saying it is legal, just there is no problem doing it.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender

Scope means exactly what?

I did not see if that means one person with multiple tickets, two people, 20 people or hundreds of thousands.

Based on this board, you can make a wild assumption it is not a massive issue. Of course this stuff happens. But, is a major problem of significant scope?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
4) SW gift cards cannot be used to pay the security fee when points were used to redeem an award.
Wrong. Used one yesterday to pay the security fee on two points bookings.

Edit: See this has already been pointed out, carry on.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:39 pm

Let's say you are at a bar in the airport and decide to not fly. Guy next to you just flew in and is about to head home and willing to buy your boarding pass from you. Would it work?

Of course it would.

Or, any friend/co-worker/ acquaintance who has a non-refundable flight in the future but can't use it. You book a Southwest flight with points (or any other refundable airline option), get thru security with your perfectly valid boarding pass and ID, cancel the Southwest flight and board the other person's flight with their boarding pass.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:40 pm

Of course it would.

There's a problem if the guy is fleeing justice. Databanks don't all overlap. You'd be held and questioned.

Or he can take a screenshot and enlarge the barcode. Free apps decode them and quickly he has all he needs to hack your airline account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.