Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

round trip not allowed, have to book multi-segment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P

Hi there,

I want to book a round trip to San Jose, Costa Rica from NYC. The outbound trip can be easily found on Southwest.com, which is LGA-HOU-SJO. However, the return trip cannot be found unless I do a multiple segment search. One segment is SJO-HOU, and the segment is HOU-LGA. The multiple segment price is the price of each segment adding up, which becomes very expensive.

Is there anyway that Southwest can process the return trip from SJO to LGA as part of the round-trip, instead of multiple one ways? Thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:47 am

Is the layover at HOU more than 4 hours?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
If I choose HOU to LGA nonstop, the layover between SJO to HOU and HOU to LGA is more than 4 hours. However, if I choose HOU to LGA with a stop in DEN, then the stopover is shorter than 3 hours.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Doesn't WN allow up to 24 hours for a connection on international itineraries?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't WN allow up to 24 hours for a connection on international itineraries?
No, and just because a connection is legal/possible, does not mean WN will sell it on a single fare. Lots of instances where they do not offer fares on valid connections due to preferring to sell seats to O&D pax or part of other connections.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Gotta love that they'll get you there with no way to get back... Book the DEN connection if cheaper I suppose.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:00 am

You can do it MON thru FRI

Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
You might also vary the day of your return. I did find a valid return searching weekdays, but not weekends. The low-fare calendar makes this perfectly clear.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Interesting. However, if I specify a date, the website says not available.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:12 am
Original Poster

I found out that SJO to LGA in the flexible dates view is not available after March 6. Very Strange.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:14 am

Looks like it ends March 6th; Unavailable for all future dates looking at the Low Fare Calendar
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And, let me point out. There are usually good reasons to book one way fares vs roundtrips anyways. Some reason you are pushing to book a RT?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
And, let me point out. There are usually good reasons to book one way fares vs roundtrips anyways. Some reason you are pushing to book a RT?
No specific reason. I should be two one ways. However, the problem is that it may be much cheaper if I book one way from SJO to LGA instead of booking two segments. For example in the outbound, if I book LGA to SJO with a stop in HOU as one way, it is cheaper than if I book LGA-HOU and HOU-SJO as two segments.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Okay - your headline talks about RT problem, but you actually have a one way problem. NOT a RT problem.

You are having a problem because SW does not sell a flight from SJO to LGA on Sat or Sun. That is their choice. You can do a work around via two tickets it appears.

In any event, if you call SW - you should be looking to book SJO-LGA as a one way ticket. Do not confuse things with the RT part of it.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

You are right. It is a one way with stop vs. multiple segments problem. Do you think calling Southwest will help me get the one way price instead of paying for two separate segments?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.