Mobile app not compatible with Android??

Old Jan 3, 19, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Mobile app not compatible with Android??

Apologies if this has been discussed. I have a Samsung Note 3 and I used to use the mobile app all the time (boarding pass, check in etc). For the past few months I have not been able to access the app & get a message about there being a new version of the app. When I try to install SW on my phone I get a message that says "your device isn't compatible with this version".
When I call I get the usual runaround and am told that SW doesn't have a tech support #. What?? Customer relations response is "that's too bad".
Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Yes, common with devices that haven't had the operating system upgraded or the device is too old and is not upgradable.
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: CX, DL, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Unfortunately the Note 3 is an old device and running an old version of Android. The newer version of the SW app is probably targeted for newer Android versions. Time to upgrade that 5+ year old phone I'm afraid!
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
I had the same issue with Samsung 4 Active a few months ago, with the last SWA app upgrade. The only solution is a new phone... For me, it was time anyway, and the Samsung 9 is a decent replacement, but some parts of the SWA app still don't work quite the same as with iphones.
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyeballer View Post
Unfortunately the Note 3 is an old device and running an old version of Android. The newer version of the SW app is probably targeted for newer Android versions. Time to upgrade that 5+ year old phone I'm afraid!
Lol. I am perfectly happy with my old phone! The Note 8 is nice but I don't feel like shelling out big $$$ just to be able to use the SWA app.
thanks for the info, everyone.
Old Jan 4, 19, 6:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR, Covid-19
Originally Posted by corky View Post
but I don't feel like shelling out big $$$ just to be able to use the SWA app
It works just fine on a refurbished Galaxy S6, which you can find on eBay/Amazon for ~$140-160 or so.
Old Jan 4, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Lol. I am perfectly happy with my old phone! The Note 8 is nice but I don't feel like shelling out big $$$ just to be able to use the SWA app.
It's possible that you may be able to install it after an OS upgrade. For the Note 3, that means running Lineage OS, which may be further outside your comfort zone than shelling out $$$.

I know it's not a replacement, but the mobile site may be your best bet in the interim (certainly cheaper and unlikely to brick your phone, anyway).
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 4, 19, 12:23 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Sadly, older phones and operating systems run into issues.

Not just with SW App
Or with Android in general. Happens in iphones too.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roundtree View Post
It's possible that you may be able to install it after an OS upgrade. For the Note 3, that means running Lineage OS, which may be further outside your comfort zone than shelling out $$$.

I know it's not a replacement, but the mobile site may be your best bet in the interim (certainly cheaper and unlikely to brick your phone, anyway).
Thank you but I have no idea what Lineage is so that's probably not going to happen. Yeah, I guess it's the mobile site for me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: