Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii ETOPS approved by FAA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:17 pm

As expected, fake news on the rumor for today. I think all rumors should be put to rest. It'll happen when it happens.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:32 pm

GK: SWA Has "Verbal Approval" For Hawaii

Formal authorization awaits.

Southwest Airlines has received verbal approval from the FAA to begin Hawaii flights, with formal approval expected in the coming days, CEO Gary Kelly told employees at a rally in Dallas Monday.

Southwest did not release any details on the timing of ticket sales, when the flights will begin or where it will launch the first flights.

Kelly has previously said Southwest would start selling tickets within days of receiving FAA certification for long overwater flights, with the first flights within weeks of that.
Edit:

USA Today jumped the gun. An hour later "clarifies' Kelly's remarks:

Southwest Airlines received a "thumbs up'' from the FAA on its Hawaii test flights and is now awaiting formal approval, CEO Gary Kelly told employees at a rally in Dallas Monday.

Last edited by LegalTender; Feb 25, 2019 at 3:53 pm Reason: USA Today Correction
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by LegalTender
GK: SWA Has "Verbal Approval" For Hawaii

Formal authorization awaits.

Edit:

USA Today jumped the gun. An hour later "clarifies' Kelly's remarks:
And the hype continues - LUV marketing continues its attempts to discourage as many people as possible from booking spring and summer Hawaii travel on other carriers.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't know what the contentious issues are so I can't say, but since the various employee groups are represented by different unions and have different priories what is 'Major" to one might not be to another. If business plans include protecting profits that may be in direct conflict with the Union;'s priorities. What is "generous" to one side may seem paltry to the other. Southwest's reputation seems pretty secure, unless there is a prolonged strike which seems unlikely, unless one side is so dug into it's position or so angry won't can't compromise.
I'd strongly disagree regarding the "security" of Southwest's reputation. It's been in a long, slow downward slide for years now, and this situation absolutely isn't helping things.

And it's pretty clear that 10+ years without a new contract, 6+ years in "negotiations" suggests compromise is a foreign concept to both sides.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by diver858
And the hype continues - LUV marketing continues its attempts to discourage as many people as possible from booking spring and summer Hawaii travel on other carriers.
You put way more faith in there marketing prowess than I do.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:28 pm

Nah...this one is purely on the USA Today. In their race to be first, they poorly understood what was being said. After Southwest called them and said ... are you writing, they then write that "Southwest" clarified their remarks. Reporters will never say they're the ones that made the mistake.

If you took note to the Oscars last night and Tina Fay's remarks about staying on stage to fool the USA Today, that was a direct mockery of newspapers continuously jumping the gun on news stories only to be horribly incorrect.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
So mechanics "licking their chops" over major concessions was an abstraction? I think there may be a connection between Hawaii launch and coming to some agreement. Southwest's reputation being in play is no abstraction. But yes, they can still do ETOPS without it.
It's not an abstraction it may be a state of mind, like the reported 100 or so who are "working to the agreement". Some Mechanics may believe they have outsize bargaining power in the run up to the launching of Hawaii.
I don't know how much Southwest's reputation is at stake if the public believes the mechanics as being unreasonable.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:42 pm

The airline wants flexibility. The union wants to minimize outsourcing and maintenance abroad. Nothing especially new or novel. The "licking their chops" conjecture is on you. Both sides have righteous stakes.

Hawaii may hinge on a truce.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:33 pm

I don't know how much Southwest's reputation is at stake if the public believes the mechanics as being unreasonable.
Take a look at social media.

Most do seem to understand that it is some sort of employee disagreement, but ultimately blame management for not being able to control the situation.

Because, duh.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
It's not an abstraction it may be a state of mind, like the reported 100 or so who are "working to the agreement". Some Mechanics may believe they have outsize bargaining power in the run up to the launching of Hawaii.
Most people don't think the mechanics are the unreasonable ones here, they believe (rightly so) it's management across the street from Dallas Love Field.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Most people don't think the mechanics are the unreasonable ones here, they believe (rightly so) it's management across the street from Dallas Love Field.
It's not really on topic, but I don't see how you can reasonably either assertion based on what we know at present. Most people that you know may feel that way, but my own circle is certainly more anti-union than that and others may be more evenly split. It's impossible to say without actually polling everyone. Additionally, no one can "rightly so" blame management for failing to make an agreement when it takes two sides agreeing (otherwise, why call it an agreement).

Really, there's already a separate thread on this particular discussion, so I would hope that folks would take their opinions there so we can keep this thread full of hopeful Hawaii news.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Nah...this one is purely on the USA Today.
How did USA Today get the information - from an internal WN meeting?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Alaska Airlines is preparing for battle: https://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea...awaii-258-318/
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Alaska Airlines is preparing for battle: https://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea...awaii-258-318/
Discounted fares on very limited basic economy inventory, days of travel. I booked a couple of April trips (most in upgradeable coach fare buckets) to Hawaii on AS a few weeks back, those fares are slowly creeping up.

I have been anxiously lurking in this forum, in the hope that if/when WN eventually offers service, it may put some price pressure on AS. As we are now in the midst of spring and summer leisure travel planning, I am becoming less optimistic by the day this will occur in a meaningful way - at least for 2019.

According to https://aviationweek.com/awincommerc...l-hawaii-fleet, " ... Southwest’s initial ETOPS sub-fleet will have 28 ... ". A significant portion of those aircraft are already in service to the Caribbean and Mexico, I am wondering how many will be available for service to Hawaii? As WN does not fly redeyes, claims plans to offer interisland service on the TPAC aircraft, I do not see how WN can mount a serious threat to AS or HA, move the needle much on fares.

It would not surprise me to see very limited WGA fares / RR availability, backlash from anxious loyalists hoping to use companion passes, redeem points.

Pass the popcorn, please - this is going to get interesting.
ursine1 and FindAWay like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:28 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Discounted fares on very limited basic economy inventory, days of travel. I booked a couple of April trips (most in upgradeable coach fare buckets) to Hawaii on AS a few weeks back, those fares are slowly creeping up.

I have been anxiously lurking in this forum, in the hope that if/when WN eventually offers service, it may put some price pressure on AS. As we are now in the midst of spring and summer leisure travel planning, I am becoming less optimistic by the day this will occur in a meaningful way - at least for 2019.

According to https://aviationweek.com/awincommerc...l-hawaii-fleet, " ... Southwest’s initial ETOPS sub-fleet will have 28 ... ". A significant portion of those aircraft are already in service to the Caribbean and Mexico, I am wondering how many will be available for service to Hawaii? As WN does not fly redeyes, claims plans to offer interisland service on the TPAC aircraft, I do not see how WN can mount a serious threat to AS or HA, move the needle much on fares.

It would not surprise me to see very limited WGA fares / RR availability, backlash from anxious loyalists hoping to use companion passes, redeem points.

Pass the popcorn, please - this is going to get interesting.
The RR points pricing will be especially interesting. Will these be the first WGA fares to exceed 80 points per dollar?
ursine1 and FindAWay like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.