Hawaii ETOPS approved by FAA

Old Feb 26, 19, 10:35 am

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
I do not see how WN can mount a serious threat to AS or HA, move the needle much on fares. It would not surprise me to see very limited WGA fares / RR availability, backlash from anxious loyalists hoping to use companion passes, redeem points.
WN must be counting on all those CPs being passed out like Oprah's car prizes to keep customers "loyal" for the Hawai'i launch. Would CP last seat availability change? At least GK would be distracted from the mechanics' contract for a while.
dlaue likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 4:55 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
... Southwest’s initial ETOPS sub-fleet will have 28 ... ". A significant portion of those aircraft are already in service to the Caribbean and Mexico, I am wondering how many will be available for service to Hawaii?
Zero of those 28 need or use ETOPS for Caribbean or Mexico. Southwest can sub in any plane they want. *

* note that in early days of Southwest flying to SJU or AUA they only did so using liferaft equipped 737-800s but not as of their later flight plans.
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA "fools Gold" (aka PresPlus).
I'm getting tired of waiting for an announcement, so I just booked my next HI flights on AS.

I'm kinda hoping they choose something cheeky like the Ides of March or April Fools Day.
Old Feb 27, 19, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
I'm getting tired of waiting for an announcement, so I just booked my next HI flights on AS.

I'm kinda hoping they choose something cheeky like the Ides of March or April Fools Day.
Here's an announcement. No rumors here from random "sauces."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/sout...to-hawaii.html
N830MH and roundtree like this.
Old Feb 27, 19, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cleanes View Post
Here's an announcement. No rumors here from random "sauces."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/sout...to-hawaii.html
Not yet! They have wait for final authorization from FAA to start Hawaii service. They will start selling ticket sometime in March or April during at that time.
Old Feb 27, 19, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Not yet! They have wait for final authorization from FAA to start Hawaii service. They will start selling ticket sometime in March or April during at that time.
They have it, Scotty.

DALLAS (AP) — The Federal Aviation Administration said Wednesday it has granted Southwest Airlines approval to begin flights between California and Hawaii, capping the airline's effort to extend its reach 2,400 miles (3,800 kilometers) across the Pacific.

The Dallas-based airline's chief operating officer, Mike Van de Ven, said Southwest will announce timing for selling tickets and beginning flights in the coming days.
N830MH likes this.
Old Feb 27, 19, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post

Oof. Timing is everything in life.
Old Feb 27, 19, 8:33 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by DnvTrvlr View Post

Oof. Timing is everything in life.
I too booked a summer trip to Hawaii after waiting too long for WN. It has been "any day now" for about a year?! I was originally excited to use my companion pass to HI. However, from PIT that would likely require a double connect and an overnight, in both directions. I just booked on DL for $1000 RT and got confirmed UG's to lie-flat beds with my RUC's in both directions. No regrets here. haha

Now...about those interisland flights...
Is WN going to do interisland off-the-bat? I have not seen anything about that in a few months.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
I would check the airliners.net thread about this...some additional speculation and rumors on routes and pending announcements. Again take it with a grain of salt.....but apparently they are saying monday announcements from HNL with start on St. Patrick's Day - interisland starts immediately....on airliners.net has routing details(i.e. speculation/rumors)
Old Feb 28, 19, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by isaac.chambers View Post
I would check the airliners.net thread about this...some additional speculation and rumors on routes and pending announcements. Again take it with a grain of salt.....but apparently they are saying monday announcements from HNL with start on St. Patrick's Day - interisland starts immediately....on airliners.net has routing details(i.e. speculation/rumors)
False prophet! How often are they right over there? Was debating between Hawaii and Jamaica for a late March/early April vacay but I'm rolling with the latter and then probably gonna catch Hawaii later in the year.
Old Feb 28, 19, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
I hoping WN will start direct flight from PHX-HNL/OGG/LIH/KOA in a distant future. Can 737-MAX8 will fly to Hawaii flights?

What about redeye flight?
Old Feb 28, 19, 6:47 pm

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA "fools Gold" (aka PresPlus).
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers View Post
I would check the airliners.net thread about this
Internet message boards, including FT, have many rumors without data. I'll believe an announcement when I see it.
Old Mar 1, 19, 1:52 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Inter-island hoppers
Old Mar 1, 19, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Here's a link to a leaked Flight Attendant bid package trip:

https://ibb.co/8YFCdtY
Old Mar 2, 19, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by jjglaze77 View Post
Here's a link to a leaked Flight Attendant bid package trip:

https://ibb.co/8YFCdtY
Whoa nelly. Awesome leak. Dates & proof of inter-island!

Search this Thread