Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby first WN flight originating in CUN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Baby first WN flight originating in CUN

(Mods - if there's another thread on these issues, please consolidate, couldn't find in the last 5 pages of threads)

I know from experience with our older kid, the first time a kid flies on Southwest (without a ticket), you need to show up and have a check-in agent check their age and enter info into their systems.

This go around, Kid #2 (<1 year old) will be taking his first WN flight, CUN-BWI next week. I called WN reservations and added him to the itinerary under my ticket, paid the minimal International fees, and the phone agent said his passport at CUN check in is all we will need. I pressed on this and he was emphatic that was it.

I seem to recall for my first kid we needed a birth certificate, but that was domestic travel. This WN link only mentions Birth Certificate:
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ldren-pol.html
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...board-pol.html

My hesitation is that this first flight originates at an outstation, CUN in Mexico. We can't check in online (because he doesn't have a RR# nor has he been age-verified yet), so dealing with outstation employees I assume at check-in. I just worry about that situation.

Thoughts? Experience? Will the Passport suffice? Will I need a birth certificate? (I know its only one extra piece of paper to pack/bring, but I'd prefer not to bring originals like that if I dont need to).
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Just a general thought here, but a passport has a DOB and place of birth already in it. Remember when it used to be the case you could cross the land border with the U.S. with just your birth certificate? Now you need a passport. So passport>birth certificate. I can't imagine why one would need both.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:57 pm

If it concerns you - and it would me, too - bring the birth certificate. SWA can speak definitively to their ops, not CUN processing. Given trafficking issues and political stealthiness, more documentation seems a no-brainer.

Sorry I can't offer a personal experience. Hopefully, others can.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Both KevinAA and LegalTender have encapsulated my thoughts
KevinAA - I agree with your logic
but...
LegalTender... i'm leaning towards this.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Sure, take it.

But a passport normally trumps just about any other document.

And, I guess you know all about traveling intl with children with or without both parents.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
They wanted a birth certificate for the domestic flight to establish age, that the child was under two and eligible to travel free as a lap infant. The passport notes date of birth.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that the child has a US passport, that is definitive proof of date of birth.

If this worries you in the slightest, why would you not travel with his birth certificate as well and, if asked, rather than having a fight, just show the birth certificate?

This seems to be the simple solution and will take a lot less time than you have already invested in the issue.
levilevi likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Presuming that the child has a US passport, that is definitive proof of date of birth.

If this worries you in the slightest, why would you not travel with his birth certificate as well and, if asked, rather than having a fight, just show the birth certificate?

This seems to be the simple solution and will take a lot less time than you have already invested in the issue.
I just chuckled about the time invested in the issue... I mean, what is Flyertalk if not for looking into minutiae of many things
  • the WN website specifically says birth cert, not passport, but everyone here, myself included, thinks a passport is the "superior" document... but as we all know, sometimes logic doesn't always trump when dealing with airlines, especially agents at outstations
Anyway.. I have this weird aversion to bringing along documents , especially originals, that I don't need.
I agree, in this case seems silly not to, was just posting to see if anyone had any experience with this situation, or for people to hash it out like we did, so that others down the road can find it.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

It occurs to me that a passport does not have the names of the parents but a Birth Certificate would, proving the parent are legally responsible for the infant.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
It occurs to me that a passport does not have the names of the parents but a Birth Certificate would, proving the parent are legally responsible for the infant.
I think in this case, WN is mainly looking for proof the child is <2?
TO be issued a passport, a child needs to have both parents at the passport acceptance facility or have one sign off.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by levilevi
I think in this case, WN is mainly looking for proof the child is <2?
TO be issued a passport, a child needs to have both parents at the passport acceptance facility or have one sign off.
That's true, but how could Immigration determine if the child was traveling with parents? There have been cases of unauthorized people taking kids across borders without authorization.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Update for all (of course, who knows if this was definitive or YMMV), but checking in yesterday at airport counter in CUN, I presented passports only, and that was enough to age-verify (of course I had the birth cert in my bag just in case ). Agent didn't even bat an eyelash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.