Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

transfer name on reservation or cancel one person

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I've booked an one-way reservation for me and my two college-aged kids from southwest. I had a medical emergency and left early. My kid's friend wanted to use my ticket.
Therefore, is it possible for me to change my ticket to her name ? I suspect not.
If I can't transfer to her name, can I just cancel my reservation without cancelling my kids' reservation?
I will try to call southwest in the morning, but hope to know what to expect. TIA
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by annamom
Hi,
I've booked an one-way reservation for me and my two college-aged kids from southwest. I had a medical emergency and left early. My kid's friend wanted to use my ticket.
Therefore, is it possible for me to change my ticket to her name ? I suspect not.
If I can't transfer to her name, can I just cancel my reservation without cancelling my kids' reservation?
I will try to call southwest in the morning, but hope to know what to expect. TIA
You should be able to cancel one person on the reservation and get a refund in Travel Funds tied to your name usable within 1 year of date of purchase.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:10 am
Original Poster

thanks. That means I can't use the points to book a ticket for my kid's friend.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by annamom
thanks. That means I can't use the points to book a ticket for my kid's friend.
If you booked with points and you cancel the points will be refunded to whatever account they came from and could be reused to purchase another ticket.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: Hilton (D)
Canceling and rebooking would be subject to current fares (points), not what they were when you originally booked.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Call customer service and they will split the reservation in two, so your kid appears on a different PNR.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
As said, if booked with points, you just cancel it.

Then you book a new ticket.

Done

You can never change a name on airline reservations. (there is probably some situation somewhere that I am not aware of)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You can never change a name on airline reservations. (there is probably some situation somewhere that I am not aware of)
The best feature I've ever had was with an A@B account on Airtran. If a person was listed on your account you could change the name on a reservation pretty much up to departure.

I miss that feature.

Also most Group Travel allows name changes.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The best feature I've ever had was with an A@B account on Airtran. If a person was listed on your account you could change the name on a reservation pretty much up to departure.

I miss that feature.

Also most Group Travel allows name changes.
Southwest Group Travel does allow name changes up to 72 hours prior to departure. I believe in this case those "reservations" aren't actually ticketed until after that time, meaning it's not technically a name-change on a ticket.

And Southwest, up until 2011, allowed full transferability on travel funds. (Again, not technically a ticket name change.)

Some carriers allow transferability along with refundability on their fully non-restricted tickets, usually for a fee.

FYI: Despite the common misconception, there is no FAA prohibition on ticket name changes. What's really happening is that airlines want to control their revenue. If tickets were fully transferable, scalpers would buy up the cheap ones and resell them, negating the airline's ability to adjust ticket prices to meet supply & demand.
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.