Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are there any workarounds for credit expiration?

Old Dec 31, 18, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

I have a refund credit that expires on 6/1/19. My understanding is that this means I need to use this credit and fly by 6/1/19. Unfortunately, the next trip I'd want to use this credit for is a couple weeks later than that, in mid-June

Any suggestions or guidance on potential workarounds here? Or is there not much I can do? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Dec 31, 18, 11:50 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Assuming you`re talking about Travel Funds, you can let them expire then request they be reissued as a LUV Voucher for a fee. This is only practical if the credit is large enough. Although the voucher could be used by anyone.
alexcr likes this.
Old Dec 31, 18, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
Assuming you`re talking about Travel Funds, you can let them expire then request they be reissued as a LUV Voucher for a fee. This is only practical if the credit is large enough. Although the voucher could be used by anyone.
Interesting. Roughly how much would the fee be to do this? And how would I accomplish this if the funds expire on 6/1/19, the desired flight is around 6/15/19, and I'd like to book that flight now?
Old Jan 1, 19, 2:24 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by alexcr View Post
Interesting. Roughly how much would the fee be to do this? And how would I accomplish this if the funds expire on 6/1/19, the desired flight is around 6/15/19, and I'd like to book that flight now?
I think the fee is $100. 6/15 is cutting it close fares may be high and flights full.
alexcr likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: none
Ask the airline if they will do allow you to book now and use the credit later. You’ll get a better answere from them than you will get from some anonymous poster on FT.
If they say “yes”,then that’s your answer, if they say “no”, then you will know that too
Old Jan 2, 19, 10:25 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
Ask the airline if they will do allow you to book now and use the credit later. You’ll get a better answere from them than you will get from some anonymous poster on FT.
If they say “yes”,then that’s your answer, if they say “no”, then you will know that too
The best information on Southwest is right here. Southwest is pretty rigid about expiration. You cannot use a TTF past the expiration date to book a flight.
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:01 pm

Ask if you'd like, but the answer remains "no." (You cannot retroactively apply a voucher to an existing booking.)

It's possible that a Customer Relations rep may be able to "expire" the funds and reissue as a voucher now, without needing to wait until the expiration date. But that's a rarity, and if you were to ask a first-level phone rep they wouldn't even mention that possibility.
alexcr likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 1:18 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
If you can obtain a low-value LUV voucher near expiration, use those funds to taint your existing TTF thus causing it to expire sooner. Re-issue for $100 fee to get the June ticket.
ursine1, toomanybooks and ryw like this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 7:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
...You’ll get a better answere from them than you will get from some anonymous poster on FT...
10 years and 1400+ posts on FT and you really believe this?
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:05 pm

Reissuing as a LUV voucher after expiry (less $100 fee) I believe is also considered a courtesy and not guarantee.
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:48 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by willywilkes View Post
Reissuing as a LUV voucher after expiry (less $100 fee) I believe is also considered a courtesy and not guarantee.
Correct. There is also no verified case of it not being issued.
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:06 pm

The only cause for denial that I am aware of is if the travel funds contain previously reissued vouchers. In general, requests are reviewed to deter abuse, and the policy remains "unpublished" so that, presumably, it can change or be revoked at any time, and without notice.