Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Inflight Drink Charge two weeks later? Or fraud?

Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Just noticed a charge on my credit card for one drink from Southwest Inflight. Last flight was two weeks earlier and those charges showed up with a day or so. Did have another flight three weeks earlier and I think those showed up. And, it would be very, very rare we only buy one drink anyways.

Do folks normally see charges show up within a few days, or are they sometimes delayed - maybe even two weeks?

At $6 - I will just keep an eye on the account in case of fraud - not worth calling anybody.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your post is not clear. Did you or did you not purchase a drink and were you or were you not previously charged for it? That will answer the question as to whether the charge is legitimate or fraud. If fraud, even for $6, report it to your card issuer as it may be appropriate to issue you a new card. You will, of course, receive a credit for the $6. If not fraud, then it just took a while, but nothing to report.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
In the past month, we have had 6 different flights. Traveling together. Wine on each one. We always order for than one as we both are winos.

Did have some charges, and I think they all came through, but can not be 100% sure.

And, they all seem to hit within a day or so.

So, I now have a $6 charge that does not seem to make sense, but could be possible.

So, the question is - do drink charges sometimes show up two weeks later?

As to cancelling card if I think it is fraud - no way would I bother if this is the only one and for only $6. Not worth the effort.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Remember they're done on the terminals (which are most likely not connected) then have to be uploaded once on the ground, so it might have been due to issues with that.
Often1 and fiuchris like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:20 pm

The charges are processed when the iPad is synced, which is done manually. Sometimes a sync isn't performed promptly or isn't processed correctly which explains the lag time.

Inflight purchase receipts are available here so you can check there to verify that the charge is legit. (A word of advice - the departure city field on this form is optional and I would leave it blank, as through flights may preclude your ability to find your receipt.)
lougord99 and ursine1 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR LT Plat
Originally Posted by fiuchris
Inflight purchase receipts are available here so you can check there to verify that the charge is legit. (A word of advice - the departure city field on this form is optional and I would leave it blank, as through flights may preclude your ability to find your receipt.)
Thanks for the tip of not putting in departure city, I've never been able to get a receipt to pull up. Question: Using your method, I see a lot of flights that are different city pairs than my flight but same day (I assume they are just different legs of same flight number). However, I have one flight that is showing a drink receipt and it isn't even close to a date I flew. For instance showing a drink receipt for DEN-LAS flight #2592 on 10/28. But my closest flights were OAK-DEN flight #2944 on 10/14 or CUN-DEN flight #1018 on 10/30 (I flew UA down to CUN on that trip). Does this seem legit? If not, does anyone know how to dispute with WN?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fiuchris
The charges are processed when the iPad is synced, which is done manually. Sometimes a sync isn't performed promptly or isn't processed correctly which explains the lag time.

the lag time make a little sense.. .but two weeks does not.

Using the link include above, I did find some other receipts/charges. Thanks for that link.

But, this $6 does not make any sense, and does not show on the link above.

Interesting.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
the lag time make a little sense.. .but two weeks does not.

Using the link include above, I did find some other receipts/charges. Thanks for that link.

But, this $6 does not make any sense, and does not show on the link above.

Interesting.
Might have been the next time the FA flew and synced?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:35 am

Could it be that Southwest lights don't have a live connection to process the credit cards and they get consolidated after a certain amount of flights or the processing was delayed due to an unforseen reason.

I have had a charge post from a transaction in Europe one month after the purchase so no its not fraud as I made the purchase.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList
This sounds stressful!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bearbear
This sounds stressful!
Cute.

I have opted to not call or contest it. I really do not think it is right - but - hey - what do I know? That same card is my day to day and I do check it once a week.

Not gonna stress over it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.