Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass Article on front page of Flyer Talk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+, CP, HH Diamond, National EE

Wow, the article on the front page states twice that you need to spend $80,000 on flights to earn Companion Pass. It later talks about the Credit Card benefits to reach Companion Pass.

But $80,000? That is just wrong. It's more along the lines of $18,000, since you get 6 points per dollar on WGA fares. What lazy and incorrect reporting!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
I agree. I commute between Reno and Oakland and could get companion pass for under $12K, on BS fares as I always book last minute. Fortunately I don't have to do it every week so I'm not earning CP anyway. But I know I'd never have to spend 80K to make it.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:16 pm

I'm gonna bet the author is just looking at the 2x points for Southwest flights and Hotel/Car partners, and 1x points for all other spend, and failed to factor in the fare bucket multiplier. Split the $80k in half between these two categories and you get to 120,000
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Sadly... too many reporters these days are more interested just posting stuff and/or click bait... and little interest in accurate reporting.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sadly... too many reporters these days are more interested just posting stuff and/or click bait... and little interest in accurate reporting.
Or just maybe the reporter made a mistake?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld

Or just maybe the reporter made a mistake?
There is more than one mistake.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+, CP, HH Diamond, National EE
I also made a comment about this in the article itself, and... Looks like the article has been removed...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:46 am

Sadly, I think "reporter" is a stretch these days. Most places pay writers very little (if anything), so most online content is repurposed from other sources. Or hastily composed and barely researched if original. Clickbait and listicles. Actual reporting is rare, and pretty much limited to the larger, established publications. Journalism isn't quite dead just yet, but it's definitely not feeling well.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
If I only had a $ for every poorly written/inaccurate travel story I've read in the last decade.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:32 am

I think travel writing quality suffers especially these days. Every person with a credit card and some miles considers themselves an expert and publishes a "travel blog." Misinformation about Companion Pass is more common than actually accurate info.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
If I only had a $ for every poorly written/inaccurate travel story I've read in the last decade.

Heck - I would love to have a dime. And we would both be rich.

The larger "mainstream" press is just as bad. No wonder the average American is often clueless about travel. LOL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.