MSP/ATL/RSW 45 minute Layover in ATL

Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

MSP/ATL/RSW 45 minute Layover in ATL

I am thinking of changing our March 1 flight that we have later booked for later in the day to a flight that gets us to Fort Myers with time to enjoy the sunshine and was wondering if a 45 minute layover in Atlanta gives us decent odds of catching my connection.

I have flown through ATL several times and know it's very busy but we usually have a 90 plus minute connection time.

If we miss the connection the next flight to RSW is the one we are already booked on. Thanks

• Depart: Minneapolis/St. Paul (Terminal 2), MN (MSP)6:30 AM
    • Arrive: Atlanta, GA (ATL)10:00 AM
    1st stop, change planes 0h 45m layover
    • Depart: Atlanta, GA (ATL)10:45 AM
    • Arrive: Ft. Myers, FL (RSW)12:25 PM
    • Depart: Minneapolis/St. Paul (Terminal 2), MN (MSP)2:50 PM
    • Arrive: Atlanta, GA (ATL)6:20 PM
    1st stop, change planes 1h 50m layover
    • Depart: Atlanta, GA (ATL)8:10 PM
    • Arrive: Ft. Myers, FL (RSW)9:50 PM
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:52 pm

Should be good to go. 45 minutes is more than enough in the C concourse, absent IROPS.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The problem I see with the 45 minute layover, is the likelihood that you will be to late to board with your group on the second flight and get a middle seat.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
You will not have a problem. If you were to go online today and look at the current gates, you can see that they are not far apart. Heck, even if I was on DL and had to change concourses, 45 minutes if plenty of time. Had many flights with 30 minutes and 2-3 concourses away.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
You will not have a problem. If you were to go online today and look at the current gates, you can see that they are not far apart. Heck, even if I was on DL and had to change concourses, 45 minutes if plenty of time. Had many flights with 30 minutes and 2-3 concourses away.
I dont understand how you can say there will be no problem getting to the next flight before boarding begins in order to claim your boarding position.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, not concerned about boarding order, just making the flight.

If we change the flight I think I will lose both of our EBCI so I will probably just buy one EBCI for the new itinerary and save a seat as I want to get off the MSP/ATL flight ASAP to make our connection and there is a decent shot we miss our boarding spot on ATL/RSW

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 18, 2018 at 9:05 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Why not consider taking the later flight on 2/28, then you get the whole first day of vacation to enjoy the sun? Price looks reasonable.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Why not consider taking the later flight on 2/28, then you get the whole first day of vacation to enjoy the sun? Price looks reasonable.
Because I work 3 - 11pm , by choice. This is just a quick 5 day vacation for spring training games, our usual Florida trip to the Clearwater beach area is a month later for 10 days

We always pay in points and use CP, I think I paid about 10K points for the flights were are currently booked on
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
If we change the flight I will lose both of our EBCI so I will probably just buy one EBCI for the new itinerary and save a seat as I want to get off the MSP/ATL flight ASAP to make our connection and there is a decent shot we miss our boarding spot on ATL/RSW
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you change the booking and keep the same PNR, can't you keep the EBCI?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you change the booking and keep the same PNR, can't you keep the EBCI?
I have no idea but that would be nice.

I know when I call to get points refunded I keep EBCI but thought I lost EBCI if I changed flights.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I have no idea but that would be nice.

I know when I call to get points refunded I keep EBCI but thought I lost EBCI if I changed flights.
From reading on here, I am pretty sure as long as you just change the flight, you keep EBCI. If you cancel the flight, you lose it.

Edit: I see you said you used CP. I don't think there is any way to change that one without cancelling. So it looks like you might be able to keep one EBCI and lose one.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:10 am

From what I think I've read, if there's a technical obstacle to changing and keeping the PNR with EBCI, you can call and ask to have the EBCI transferred to the new confirmation.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
From reading on here, I am pretty sure as long as you just change the flight, you keep EBCI. If you cancel the flight, you lose it.

Edit: I see you said you used CP. I don't think there is any way to change that one without cancelling. So it looks like you might be able to keep one EBCI and lose one.
Originally Posted by rove312
From what I think I've read, if there's a technical obstacle to changing and keeping the PNR with EBCI, you can call and ask to have the EBCI transferred to the new confirmation.
I have called several times for point refunds and had no problem keeping my EBCI and companion without any extra charges

Saving EBCI will probably sway us to the earlier flights, thanks
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:25 pm

I have called several times for point refunds and had no problem keeping my EBCI and companion without any extra charges

Saving EBCI will probably sway us to the earlier flights, thanks
With CP, it can't be done online without canceling CP ticket. You will lose EBCI that way. Call to change both tickets and let them know you have CP and EBCI. The EBCI will move along with change. I've done it several times with a points flight, using CP and having EBCI.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Mute point now it seems, I paid about 10.5K points for our current flight, yesterday the earlier flight was 20K miles so it would have cost me another ~9500 points

I just looked and they now want 29.5 K or $430 for a O/W ticket in WGA...........that's comical and I have no idea why anyone would pay that unless flying 2/1 using CP.

Why it is about 9500 points cheaper to book the same flights separately?

MSP/ATL 6:30 - 10 am 9,199 points............ATL/RSW 10:45 am - 12:25 pm 11,231 points ....total 20,430 points

MSP/ATL/RSW.......same flights, 29,531 points

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 19, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.