Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flight issue- turn back #1391 PHX-PHX-LAX 12.17.18

Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond

Flightaware shows the PHX flight headed out about 45 minutes towards LAX then turned back to PHX. Now the flight is back westbound out of PHX to LAX again.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1391

Any ideas or feedback from fellow FTers? I'm good with it, but my co-worker is freaked out about getting on the plane. ;-)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:14 pm

Could be anything! Answer this: If the plane wasn't airworthy, would the pilot fly it?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Wingrider
Flightaware shows the PHX flight headed out about 45 minutes towards LAX then turned back to PHX. Now the flight is back westbound out of PHX to LAX again.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA1391

Any ideas or feedback from fellow FTers? I'm good with it, but my co-worker is freaked out about getting on the plane. ;-)
Just to clarify, the 45 minutes would be there and back. It was only 13 minutes into the flight according to flightaware. 45 minutes in and it would have been much closer to LAX, or ONT, etc, than PHX.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:17 am

Probably a mechanical issue that necessitated the air interrupt back to PHX. PHX is a maintenance base and it also has more pax protection options.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:55 pm

SW made a good decision to return to PHX. There is a point where PHX is still closer than LAX or LAX/ONT is closer than PHX. Also it helps to have a SW maintenance crew available that some outstations may not have readily available as well as a backup crew in case they go illegal. These diverts are all planned as part of the pre-flight checks.

Would you rather be doing an emergency landing in the Mojave Desert or return back to PHX? I am sure the pilot would not just return a plane for no real reason. The pilots, Southwest Central Control and Air Traffic Control at PHX made a decision to return the flight and for a good reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.