Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest refused to pay for laptop after FA spilled drink on it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest refused to pay for laptop after FA spilled drink on it

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by jk88usa

Yes... when the FA spills a drink on your laptop it’s YOUR fault!!..

...Once again, the armchair elders of FT provide great moral advice, until it actually happens to them! I can almost guarantee all of you clowns on here would not have the same mentality if it was your laptop (and why am I so worked up about it? Because this happened to me at a coffee joint in town who just so happened to be nice enough to realize it was their fault, and own up to it)
Not sure everything has to boiled down to who is at fault. I have cancer, but I am not blaming someone for that.

As to your guarantee that all of us clowns would blame the FA. When it did happen to my boss, sitting next to me, I did not blame the FA at all, nor did he.

As I attempt to think through it, I do not believe I would blame the FA if it happened to my nice macbook pro today. $hit happens. If I want to use my laptop in such an environment, I am taking the risk, not the FA.

If enough people get upset over stuff like this, here is the new rule ready to roll out.

"Ladies and Gentleman. We are about to start drink service. You are now required to put all electronics away to avoid any possible spills and damage. Thank you for understanding"
Segments likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:40 am

Or...

Welcome to 2018, where everything must be 100% black or white, because no one can ever admit any fault or accept any reaponsibility for anything -- even partially.

Could the FA have put a lid on the child's drink, and taken more care when serving? Probably. Should the OP have been paying more attention and protected their laptop? Probably. Should WN have completed an incident report? Probably. Should the OP be happy with the goodwill gesture? Probably.

(And, since it was mentioned: Anyone who thinks that the McDonalds coffee incident is an example of frivolous litigation needs to do some more research into the actual story, because they have no idea what they're talking about.)
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:14 am

I'm also no lawyer, but It's likely the OP would have to show that the FA "acted recklessly" to recover in court. A fan blinded by a foul ball would need to show the team acted recklessly to compel payment. Serving hot coffee during turbulence might be negligent. What's being described isn't really dereliction.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I'm also no lawyer, .... Serving hot coffee during turbulence might be negligent. What's being described isn't really dereliction.
Yep. And as the number of claims, social media blastings, media stories and lawsuits buildup, the airlines will respond with more and more flights without drink service because there "might be rough weather ahead". The amount of time that the seatbelt sign is on has already escalated considerably from my earlier days of flying.

We deserve what we ask for.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by jk88usa
would not have the same mentality if it was your laptop
I've had stuff spilled on my tablet in-flight. --it happens. Never thought it was anything but an accident, and it never crossed my mind to blame nor sue anyone else.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
And as the number of claims, social media blastings, media stories and lawsuits build up, the airlines will respond with more and more flights without drink service because there "might be rough weather ahead"
We already don't have peanuts any longer 'cause of the minuscule number of people who are allergic to them.
Insulator-King likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
We already don't have peanuts any longer 'cause of the minuscule number of people who are allergic to them.
Well, that's the official reason.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
The fact everyone refused to provide you with an incident report or any documentation to let you start the process on the plane proves to me they are fully responsible. They did everything they could to steer you away from feeling any sort of proper resolution can or should be gained by whisking you away, which shows me they have been trained to do this and that is scammy at best and down right wrong as well. When a company pulls that sort of thing we all know better--we must stand our ground and politely and hopefully calmly demand a better solution with higher up personnel right away and not later on once you have left! I would check with https://www.elliott.org/, a consumer advocate on this and many things, as they can likely help you --and the more documentation and info you have the better. I would get on their forums and post this there ASAP and get on it! Just follow their steps and you will get help. They also list executive and other real contacts for most major airlines, etc. So just calling CS wont help but they can.

While I know people need to do work on planes and they should be able to, I personally stopped bringing anything bigger than an ipad or phone on planes because it's a ll such a pita. In fact only the kiddos ever brought ipads and now they have phones so we all will have small devices. And when food or drink comes on planes or at home our rule of thumb is that devices go away. At best, they should be away from wherever liquids of any kind are.

But, the FA spilled it on your keyboard, Plain and simple, Southwest is at fault and should fully reimburse without question. You should take them to small claims but also check with any policies Apple may have to help you first. And definitely do https://www.elliott.org/ right away first now ASAP.

We had a nice macbook Air and left it as we always do on the coffee table one day. the cleaning ladies came and went as they had done bi weekly but after one of their visits the thing wasn't working any longer. I took it to the fix it store in the mall and they said liquid--specifically, some sort of cleaning fluid--had soaked up into the mother board. Turns out that those Apple books have no feet like older units used to because they want em thin. As a result, its base has direct contact with the table. I wish I had put those little furniture pads you can buy at stores. The cleaners had possibly spilled something like Fantastik on the table near it and wiped it up and put the lappy back where it was not realizing it would wick up what was there. We could not actively blame them nor did we... But we wont be leaving things like that out should we ever use them again. We did stop using them anyway. They were never the types of people who would take or damage something in our home but they had moved things and made a few other small blunders and so this was the end for it. We quietly just stopped having them come over. Point is, we must all take good care of our gear and know that any little thing can and will ruin it in an instant. So yeah, I would have likely not had mine open during service on a flight.
diburning likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by zgscl
Just to throw out another idea, your local news channel may be able to help. Many have a “on your side” or “we investigate” segment where they will help you with getting something from a company and feature the story on their channel. This could be cheaper/easier than a small claims court case if you don’t have insurance that will cover it.
You have to pay the news channel to investigate?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:20 am

Ironic. This morning, I stopped at Starbucks as my favorite bakery was closed for Boxing Day ... in Cincinnati.

I picked up the cup and the collapsed all over my Chromebook Of course, since the Chromebook is old ... and cheap, nothing was wrong with it. Had I spend $1500 on it, I am certain that it would be fried.

At least Southwest offered you something. When an American flight attendant accidentally hit my in the eye with a coat hanger scratching my cornea, I got diddly squat and they would not accept an incident report at all.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: UA-Silver; BA-Silver; ANZ Airpoints-Silver
Originally Posted by Segments

Not sure what carts have to do with it. Even if when offering just water the FA asks the pax if they want cup before passing the bottle over the aisle to pour into the window pax cup. Or passes a filled water cup across the aisle pax.

My question stands ... how the parent in the aisle seat is oblivious to this interaction between their kid and the FA? Oh yeah, busy juggling an open laptop, playing a game on their phone and not aware of their surroundings or apparently their kid’s actions.
Originally Posted by scrapperluv
I'll contact the news about it before filing in small claims. At least make the public aware that flight attendants don't always handle drinks with care. The cup should have had a lid on it to begin with since it was a kid's drink. This is the first time in years an FA brought my son a drink without a lid. EIther way, trying to reach over me to hand it to a kid was negligent and lacked common sense. Seems he was in a rush and just wanted to drinks handed out. It was a 4 hour flight...he had plenty of time.
Have flown with my children domestically & internationally since they were each 3 months old, they are now teenagers. Never had their drinks served with a lid. Duty of care for them & my equipment is on me. Pay attention to your surroundings and stop blaming mishaps on others. You sound like the same person that lets their child kick the back of the seat in front of them because you’re staring at your device, oblivious.
polarbears likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
I had a slightly similar incident on UA with a full glass of water and a library book (and my lap!). It took a lot of effort but was resolved with a check (much more time expended than the $26 fine for the book), but it was the principle.
1. get a written estimate to repair your laptop. they have to have an exact amount you are asking for in "damages". See if they can write on the estimate cause of damage, ie: soda.
2. call SW and get a supervisor on the phone, ask for an email for the escalation manager, send all you documentation to them with a request they cover the bill due to their "workers"negligence.
3. If nothing else works, google office of SW CEO and call and leave a message with your details, usually you will get a call back.

I agree with you, this was an accident, but preventable by a company employee. The only suggestion I would have offered at the time, was to have asked while on board for the senior FA and to have gotten names of all. Even if they would not fill out an incident report, it would have given you back up details. Good luck.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
The fact everyone refused to provide you with an incident report or any documentation to let you start the process on the plane proves to me they are fully responsible. They did everything they could to steer you away from feeling any sort of proper resolution can or should be gained by whisking you away, which shows me they have been trained to do this and that is scammy at best and down right wrong as well. When a company pulls that sort of thing we all know better--we must stand our ground and politely and hopefully calmly demand a better solution with higher up personnel right away....
Wow.

How does this show they are "fully responsible"?

As I said before - after enough of these demands/lawsuits/cliams and the airlines will respond with the only thing they can - ban use of devices during drink service, or maybe totally.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:51 am

Who was watching the kid?

Operating two devices and oblivious to your surroundings. Was anybody watching the kid? Sounds like your head may have been in the clouds, both literally and figuratively. 🤣 Personally, I find it nearly impossible to use a laptop in cattle class, but whenever I do have a device open, I always move it or close it when drinks are served. While hurtling through the atmosphere, drinks have been known to splash around. I don't get the concern over an "incident report." Southwest obviously acknowledged the incident, and they were more than generous in giving you a free flight over something that would not have happened if you had been more attentive and responsible.
gay, polarbears and diburning like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:38 am
gay

When I purchase an laptop, usually around $2500, I always add the three year accident insurance. Sounds like insurance would have paid off in this case. In the future, just put the electronics away and enjoy the flight. Chock this one up as a lesson learned.
lowmiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.