Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

If a flight is delayed can I trust they won't move it back up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

Some timely advice is welcomed. My flight scheduled for 3:45 is now delayed until 4:10. I'm a Pre boarder so it's important to me to be on time. I'm also in the Centurion Lounge right now.

So is there a chance WN would move the flight back up or is the new schedule firm?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
Would not bet on it ...

I think they warn you not to bet on this in the notification.
Plane could get swapped, missing crew may get subbed. Arrival AC may get sequenced in by ATC faster than expected.
A lot can and will change last minute.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Some timely advice is welcomed. My flight scheduled for 3:45 is now delayed until 4:10. I'm a Pre boarder so it's important to me to be on time. I'm also in the Centurion Lounge right now.

So is there a chance WN would move the flight back up or is the new schedule firm?
​​​​​​
Yes, there, is a chance they could move it back up. This has happened to me 3 times.
Gig103 and FindAWay like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:21 pm

You can pretty much ignore the "delayed flight" notifications; they can always go back to on time
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Thanks everyone for the advice. We did end up not making up the time on the ground, but it was better safe than sorry having the advice of frequent travelers.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: SW Comp Pass, Lft Gold AA, Lft DIA HHONORS, National Exec Elite
Yeah, I’ve learned to never trust in the delay times. They’ll move up and down.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I didn't even read the replies so you're probably going to see others saying the same thing again, but:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

WN (as any airline) first and foremost wants to get planes off the ground and if possible they'll push what they can. Never expect the "Delayed"/"Pulled In" to be definitive; I got six delayed/pulled in pings from TripIt today for my SAN-SJC flight, for example (eventually going out 45 mins late).

Hell, I, a multi-year A-List Preferred, almost got burned by this, going to a concession because the signs said [flight leaves 45 mins from now] and I get back to the gate at [15 mins from then] and they're calling my name and about to give up my seat.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
You can pretty much ignore the "delayed flight" notifications; they can always go back to on time
Maybe in your market, but that's certainly not true Intra-CA.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Maybe in your market, but that's certainly not true Intra-CA.
It is true in my experiences flying intra-CA .
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:07 pm

I just went back and checked my TripIt- just from the last two weeks I've had 3 flights go out late, two more than an hour. I have late flights between SJC/BUR/ONT/SAN at least 2-4 times a month.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Gig103
That's not much of a delay. How close were you planning on making it? Not worth the risk I would think. Or maybe just split the difference and stay in the lounge for another 12.5 minutes.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Always plan on the scheduled departure time....i have had many times where WN moved everything back on-time as ATC released the ground stop.....
Gig103 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN specifically advises you that the deadlines are from scheduled departure. Delays come and go. Even lengthy delays can disappear if there is an aircraft sub and that is dependent on other factors.
1. Tail winds.
2. Repairs take less time than expected.
3. Less ground interference.
4. Quicker turn.
Gig103 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: SWA - A-list, AA Gold, Hilton Gold
I've seen delays of 3+ hours turn into 15 min delays. Like others have said, ignore those delay notifications. On that 3+ hour delay, I politely asked the ticket agent if they were doing any compensation vouchers. He said, very matter-of-factly (is that a word?), that they were doing $100 vouchers. I hadn't made it back to my seat at the gate before I got the 15 min notification. Kept the voucher!
DoB840 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

You should never walk away from a gate after a delay announcement. Sometimes they are reversed or modified, and the new time announced is not fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.