Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more SW for me...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Interesting idea, though it does go against WN’s ethos (those who check in first get better boarding, those who buy EBCI first get better boarding). That said, if you are buying a few days ahead of time for an outrageous fare, shouldn’t you be buying BS anyway? Is there any reason to buy AT plus EBCI?
Indeed, for an extra couple hundred, the OP probably could have "chosen" the seat he wanted.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:04 am

AT are assigned EBCI positions ahead of WGA.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by roundtree
Indeed, for an extra couple hundred, the OP probably could have "chosen" the seat he wanted.
Couple hundred? Isn’t the difference between AT and BS usually about $30 or so?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
AT are assigned EBCI positions ahead of WGA.
I’m still unclear. Why would one buy AT plus EBCI instead of BS?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:30 pm

I’m still unclear. Why would one buy AT plus EBCI instead of BS?
Your guess is as good as mine. The only reason I can think of is if BS is not available.

There's no evidence to suggest the OP bought AT. And, as I said, if he did, his EBCI would have been given priority over WGA, so the fact that he received a B position suggests he bought WGA.
roundtree likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Mosaic
Friends don't let friends fly SouthWest. Ok, old stuff, but I have only flown SW a couple times. After purchasing Early-Bird have a "B" boarding position. No thanks, ever again. I will get a paid seat on all my flights elsewhere. Yes, I understand that no one cares except me and I will not be missed... As if my $750.00 r/t PIT to FLL is not enough.
OP, thank you for your post. I'm sure some WN lurkers are seeing this development and reporting it to management. As we speak, they are probably combing their records for all the flights you took, and adjusting their system-wide schedules to account for the lower demand this will cause, especially on the PIT-FLL route. Even if they don't drop the route entirely, the can at least substitute a lower-capacity aircraft and realize that cost saving.
Peoriaman1 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:53 pm

Really? Because the last flight I booked was on AA. I had to pay $50 extra per person to be able to even select a seat and still the only seats that could be selected without paying even more money were behind the exit rows. I am sure the AA 738 max I have heard so much about will make up for it though.
Can’t speak to AS, but that isn’t the case on UA.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:54 pm

BS. Regardless, I’d gladly pay extra for the seat I want.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
OP, thank you for your post. I'm sure some WN lurkers are seeing this development and reporting it to management. As we speak, they are probably combing their records for all the flights you took, and adjusting their system-wide schedules to account for the lower demand this will cause, especially on the PIT-FLL route. Even if they don't drop the route entirely, the can at least substitute a lower-capacity aircraft and realize that cost saving.
Your ignorance and sarcasm aside, that why we options to fly. WN has its place - and is far from a poor airline. We’re pointing out why we prefer to fly a different airline.

Is that so bad?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by msglsmo
As @ursine1 pointed out, the scant info we have lead me to believe the OP purchased a WGA fare. Hence my comment about the cost difference. Clearly, for most people, BS fares don't represent good value and the reasons why have been beaten to death many, many times.

I also used to think your way about the importance of seat assignments, and specifically the value of getting prime seats through elite status. But the convergence of features between the elite programs and the cramming of ever more seats with AA, DL, and UA made me strongly reconsider just how much I really valued seat assignments (and all the other elite benefits). In the end, it's not as bad as I thought it would be and the rest of WN's policies really make me value the RR program, enough so that I'm letting my AA Plat status expire for the first time in a long time.

I know that still puts me in the minority, but I think that minority is growing more rapidly than the Big 3 want to admit. My fear is that they won't notice, since planes are as full as ever and consumer demand hasn't shifted significantly away from them.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:40 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
As @ursine1 pointed out, the scant info we have lead me to believe the OP purchased a WGA fare.
$750 sounds like the cost for more than one passenger.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by msglsmo

Then an airline that doesn’t assign seats is probably not the airline for you. Nothing wrong with that, but it really does seem that simple.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:55 pm

Are they going to send out a email evertime some changes or cancels who is in front and changes the order? If this really bothers you, I am not sure Southwest is the right airline for you.
Why should a boarding position "reserved for you" change? Unpublished factors should no longer cause a chain reaction.

EBCI is an ante. The pot size isn't known. You're theoretically assigned a number, but still have to check-in to claim it. The terminology is as clear as dishwater. You're either "checked-in" or not.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by LegalTender
EBCI is an ante. The pot size isn't known. You're theoretically assigned a number, but still have to check-in to claim it. The terminology is as clear as dishwater. You're either "checked-in" or not.
I am unclear what you are trying to say. You are not 'theoretically assigned a number' - you are assigned a number. You don't need to 'check in' , you need to get a boarding pass - just as you need to do on any other airline - can't board or get past TSA without a boarding pass. What are you trying to say?
ursine1 and trouble747 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
I am unclear what you are trying to say. You are not 'theoretically assigned a number' - you are assigned a number. You don't need to 'check in' , you need to get a boarding pass - just as you need to do on any other airline - can't board or get past TSA without a boarding pass. What are you trying to say?
No access to your "reserved" boarding assignment implies it is theoretical. It can be re-assigned.

You're not "checked in" at all. It's as equivocal as "Deluxe Room" and "High-speed internet" in the travel brochure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.