No more SW for me...

Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Can someone explain to me the mystique behind choosing a seat on a 737? Aren't all seats on said aircraft more or less equal? I can understand if it was a 757/767/777/787 where there exist bulkhead and emergency exit seats that make a real difference.

Safe Travels,

James
For me, it is simple. Window. Ahead of Wing. While the seats on 737 are all relatively the same, their location in the aircraft are not.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by roundtree
Maybe, but I've never seen WN charge $75 or more as a seat fee like AA can and does, even considering the fairly recent progressive EBCI pricing that was introduced.
That's fair; WN is still cheaper for their seat fee than most.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by bobnchi
I would be more ticked having to pay $750 rt!
I sure hope that was for his entire entourage. Or it might be an indication he bought tickets very close to his flight date (IE, expensive tickets), which might also explain the disappointing EBCI position.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by msglsmo
For me, it is simple. Window. Ahead of Wing. While the seats on 737 are all relatively the same, their location in the aircraft are not.
can you even pick that seat on a legacy without being elite?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These threads always devolve into debates about whether AA is better than WN or whether the pretzels on UA are baked longer.

It is all spelled out and people who want a given soft & hard product purchase that product. Rather than arguing about whether "it's worth it" just accept it.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
(Ironically enough, WN has some too; people who- despite having a pre-defined place to stand once boarding actually begins- line up before time, sometimes even before the flight is at the gate. I'll never understand it, and figure some people just like lines and/or standing around.)
While sitting is commonly thought of as easier than standing it's harder on the spine. I generally take my standing place in line 10 minutes ahead of boarding to loosen up and stretch out before I have to go back to sitting once aboard. @:-)
rickg523 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

can you even pick that seat on a legacy without being elite?
Yes - with a seat fee. I don't mind paying a seat fee if I get what I want.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
While sitting is commonly thought of as easier than standing it's harder on the spine. I generally take my standing place in line 10 minutes ahead of boarding to loosen up and stretch out before I have to go back to sitting once aboard. @:-)
Since I'm going to be sitting for a while on the plane I don't mind standing for awhile before boarding. I sometimes just walk up and down the concourse.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by j2simpso
That's why my boarding motto is... I'll board when the lounge dragon drags me to the gate!
Yeah, "same". I'll wait for the end of whatever "column" I'm a part of (A-30/A-60/A-"61") to nearly finish boarding then join the end of that line.

(I do get where others say they'd prefer standing before their flight, but as I usually have my tablet out while waiting I'm otherwise occupied anyway.)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Not always. The legacies block out a big chunk of the front of the plane for elites only. Sometimes it depends on how the non-elite books the ticket. On Alaska, I bought a ticket for my son and was able to purchase an upgraded seat for him. But we got the return ticket on points, and no upgrade/elite seats were available at any price. (yes, I verified that there were dozens of seats still available for an elite with an award ticket). The legacy airlines have made everything so complex that no wonder the average American flyer (non-Road Warrior) prefers the relative simplicity of Southwest.

I mean except for the OP, of course.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ehallison
The legacy airlines have made everything so complex that no wonder the average American flyer (non-Road Warrior) prefers the relative simplicity of Southwest.
That's a bit insulting to the non frequent flier. It's not like they are stupid, and it's not that complex on the legacies if you know how to use a mouse, point, and click. It's cooked into the purchase flow.."transaction complete. Select seat?". Depends on the airline, but most have seat selection for no charge in rows towards the back and in non-premium seats. Others are blocked for elite seat selection.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
That's a bit insulting to the non frequent flier. It's not like they are stupid, and it's not that complex on the legacies if you know how to use a mouse, point, and click. It's cooked into the purchase flow.."transaction complete. Select seat?". Depends on the airline, but most have seat selection for no charge in rows towards the back and in non-premium seats. Others are blocked for elite seat selection.
I'm not insulting anyone. I'm a frequent flyer and find the legacy airlines choices to be unnecessarily complex, so I assume it seems even more complex to once-a-year flyers. (basic vs regular economy and why are you charging me for a carryon!?, are there really no seats left except back-of-the-plane middle-seats?, why should I have to pay for my kids to sit with me?, what the heck is boarding Group 1 when it seems like half the plane has boarded ahead of me?, etc) I've read plenty of complaints about all those issue and more on Flyertalk, the travel blogs, and other media outlets.

For most flyers, Southwest is less complex. Family boarding. Free carry-on AND checked bags. Numbered boarding pass. No confusion (except for misunderstandings about EBCI)
roundtree likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:26 pm

Really? Because the last flight I booked was on AA. I had to pay $50 extra per person to be able to even select a seat and still the only seats that could be selected without paying even more money were behind the exit rows. I am sure the AA 738 max I have heard so much about will make up for it though.

Last edited by Cledaybuck; Dec 14, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I sure hope that was for his entire entourage. Or it might be an indication he bought tickets very close to his flight date (IE, expensive tickets), which might also explain the disappointing EBCI position.
This is one thing that I think Southwest could improve things. Assign EBCI positions based on fare paid rather than time of purchase.

Rather than A31 going to someone who paid $79 six months ago and B47 going to someone who paid $750 three days ago, reverse that.
nsx and LegalTender like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
This is one thing that I think Southwest could improve things. Assign EBCI positions based on fare paid rather than time of purchase.

Rather than A31 going to someone who paid $79 six months ago and B47 going to someone who paid $750 three days ago, reverse that.
Interesting idea, though it does go against WNs ethos (those who check in first get better boarding, those who buy EBCI first get better boarding). That said, if you are buying a few days ahead of time for an outrageous fare, shouldnt you be buying BS anyway? Is there any reason to buy AT plus EBCI?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.