Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more SW for me...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:28 pm

What didn't you like of the Southwest experience? Was it the 2 free checked bags? Perhaps it was flights you could cancel to get a full credit towards future flights?

Agreed that the amount you paid was a lot but that could be due to other factors like supply and demand of route. I've seen FR flights cost hundreds of pounds for short haul flights (e.g. London to Paris). I've also seen cheap fares on legacies like my recent 300 GBP London to Los Angeles return flight.

I don't understand what the appeal of early boarding is: pack light, board late and enjoy the mamosas in the lounge! Early boarding means catching a bad case of gate lice and no one wants that on their trip!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Mosaic
No thanks, ever again
Southwest Airlines Reports November Traffic:
Revenue passengers carried: 11,648,833 11,648,832
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by j2simpso
What didn't you like of the Southwest experience? Was it the 2 free checked bags? Perhaps it was flights you could cancel to get a full credit towards future flights?

Agreed that the amount you paid was a lot but that could be due to other factors like supply and demand of route. I've seen FR flights cost hundreds of pounds for short haul flights (e.g. London to Paris). I've also seen cheap fares on legacies like my recent 300 GBP London to Los Angeles return flight.

I don't understand what the appeal of early boarding is: pack light, board late and enjoy the mamosas in the lounge! Early boarding means catching a bad case of gate lice and no one wants that on their trip!

Safe Travels,

James
Sorry Mate - but you are comparing apples to potatoes, or something....

* Southwest does not have any lounges.

* On Southwest if you wait and board late, you will surely end up in a middle seat.

* Southwest does not fly to or within Europe, so comparisons to those rates means little.

(I do fly SW plenty and am just find with them. We board early and get the 2 seat row often - just the two of us)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I suspect most people buying months out would appreciate the head's-up. You like surprises? What's gained for the airline holding the info, other than it might show the actual system to be spasmodic?
Its because the virtual boarding position for a flight months away probably changes on a daily basis. For example, every WGA/EBCI boarding position will get bumped by one every time someone buys an AT/EBCI fare. Or it'll move up if there's a cancellation, etc.
lougord99 and lowmiles like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Fair enough. While I do believe it actually happens fairly frequently, it's definitely not predictable.

My point was that, earlier you said "You were ahead of each and every passenger who checked in at T-24," and, unfortunately, that's not definitively true.
No problem. Exaggeration is one of my few real talents.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:38 am

EBCI is a seat fee in disguise, except you certainly aren’t guaranteed the seat you want.
joshua362 and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sorry Mate - but you are comparing apples to potatoes, or something....

* Southwest does not have any lounges.

* On Southwest if you wait and board late, you will surely end up in a middle seat.

* Southwest does not fly to or within Europe, so comparisons to those rates means little.

(I do fly SW plenty and am just find with them. We board early and get the 2 seat row often - just the two of us)
To your points:
1) Southwest has tons of lounges United Club, Admirals Lounge, Delta Skyclub, Centurion lounge, etc. All you need is a half decent travel credit card.

2) and what's so bad about a middle seat? Most of their flights are short haul and the few that are marginally long... I've had worse experiences in Air Canada Rogue flights in an aisle seat in economy in a 8 hour flight to MAN so there!

3) agreed that they don't fly within Europe but the comparison is fare. Like Ryanair they tend to only fly shitt haul regional flights and they're light fromfr like Norwegian!

In any event I am constantly surprised by people who fly budget airlines and are surprised they don't get the same service as legacies (similar to people who are surprised their nonrefundable ticket cannot be refunded). Look, you wanted to get from point a to point b and choose Southwest. What were you expecting?

Safe Travels,

James
lowmiles likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by msglsmo
EBCI is a seat fee in disguise, except you certainly aren’t guaranteed the seat you want.
Can someone explain to me the mystique behind choosing a seat on a 737? Aren't all seats on said aircraft more or less equal? I can understand if it was a 757/767/777/787 where there exist bulkhead and emergency exit seats that make a real difference.

Safe Travels,

James
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: HH Silver
Thats what you get for buying EB and expecting to get something out of it. Never have, never will.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Thats what you get for buying EB and expecting to get something out of it. Never have, never will.
It's actually worse than that. You're paying to wait in line in the hopes you'll snag a good seat. Show up late to the gate and EBCI is useless. Show up early and catch gate lice. That's why I never pay for seats or early boarding even on FR!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Can someone explain to me the mystique behind choosing a seat on a 737?
I am easy to please. I like a window seat.... One that is not blocked by the wing. Fortunately there are about 40 of those on a 737. I am not one of those whose flight is ruined because their favorite seat is already taken.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by msglsmo
Maybe, but I've never seen WN charge $75 or more as a seat fee like AA can and does, even considering the fairly recent progressive EBCI pricing that was introduced.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Its because the virtual boarding position for a flight months away probably changes on a daily basis. For example, every WGA/EBCI boarding position will get bumped by one every time someone buys an AT/EBCI fare. Or it'll move up if there's a cancellation, etc.
Or if an A-List passenger buys a ticket or and existing passenger achieves A-List status after buying a ticket but before the flight.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Mosaic
Friends don't let friends fly SouthWest. Ok, old stuff, but I have only flown SW a couple times. After purchasing Early-Bird have a "B" boarding position. No thanks, ever again. I will get a paid seat on all my flights elsewhere. Yes, I understand that no one cares except me and I will not be missed... As if my $750.00 r/t PIT to FLL is not enough.
It's so sad when you can fly from SFO-TLV for $945 or to IST. $750 r/t for a short flight is bad enough. Maybe I am not getting your point unless it's a Full Fare ticket.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
It is crazy to me when non-status pax complain about the Southwest check-in and boarding process. The fascination with assigned seats, and some bizarre perception that they would do better on a legacy carrier, is badly misplaced IMHO.

Case in point, I just bought my assistant an RT TPA-SAN for over the holidays using UA miles. Great news, I was able to get her an assigned seat on all 4 segments! Bad news, since she has no status, all I could get her were middle seats. A middle seat is the worst possible outcome on Southwest, and an outcome that is easily avoided many different ways. Get status. Buy EBCI. Check in at T-24. Good luck with any of those strategies to stay out of a middle seat on UA/AA/DL.

Most of my extended family are non-status WN pax, but they all know to check in at exactly T-24. In decades of travel, hundreds of flights, to my recollection none of them have ever unwillingly ended up in a middle seat. And this is with zero outlay towards EBCI, which of course makes the likelihood of a preferred aisle or window seat even closer to 100%.

I enjoy having status on Southwest and there are some worthwhile perks that come along with it, but the gap between status and non-status pax on Southwest is dramatically less than on any legacy carrier. In other words, infrequent travelers can do almost as well, and have nearly the same experience, as a 100+ segment WN elite. Try achieving that on United!
nsx, trouble747 and roundtree like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.