No more SW for me...

Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

And some of the window seats toward the front have less shoulder room on the fuselage side.

Plus seats near the lav are, you know, less appealing.
Yep, those pesky first class seats on other airlines that are near the lav. <shrugs>
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
WN's 737s have emergency exit seats and bulkhead seats - some of the best bulkhead seats for legroom in the air. @:-)

And some of the window seats toward the front have less shoulder room on the fuselage side.

Plus seats near the lav are, you know, less appealing.
It's been a while since I've flown WN but do those seats make much a difference? How do the compare to E+ on UA or EC on DL? Certainly on the MAX I doubt there will be much legroom for anyone!

-James
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
It's been a while since I've flown WN but do those seats make much a difference? How do the compare to E+ on UA or EC on DL? Certainly on the MAX I doubt there will be much legroom for anyone!

-James
We're down the rabbit hole now. If you like UA and DL, certainly go fly them. Heck, I do.

But the original post I responded to made an assertion that every single seat on a Southwest plane was essentially the same, and I countered by saying they are not essentially the same because of the exit row and bulkhead seats. <shrugs>

(The person I responded to also implied that other planes besides a 737 were better because they had exit rows and bulkhead seats, which was like saying he likes apples better than watermelon because watermelon has seeds. They both have seeds.)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yep, those pesky first class seats on other airlines that are near the lav. <shrugs>
You are aware, I presume, that this is the Southwest forum.

Or maybe not.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:39 am

This is going to seem counterintuitive, but, based on advice from a prior thread on increasing the odds of an empty middle, I prefer to board during the B group (to better view the seat pattern), and towards the rear section of the plane. B is early enough to ensure bin space, while having the most visibility on hopefully securing an empty middle.

Of course, this is when flying alone.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are aware, I presume, that this is the Southwest forum.

Or maybe not.
Woosh! Right over your head. You were complaining about seats close to the lav. So I imagine you always avoid first class on other airlines, where the seats are (horrors !) close. to. the. lav.
lowmiles likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:59 am

I assumed both of you were pointing out specific seat differences, in response to the assertion that all 737 seats are the same. Yet it somehow turned into an argument. Shocking.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by ursine1
I assumed both of you were pointing out specific seat differences, in response to the assertion that all 737 seats are the same. Yet it somehow turned into an argument. Shocking.
There are seat differences. I prefer the “window seat” with no window. Makes it easier to sleep
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:13 pm

Mea Culpa

We're down the rabbit hole now. If you like UA and DL, certainly go fly them. Heck, I do.

But the original post I responded to made an assertion that every single seat on a Southwest plane was essentially the same, and I countered by saying they are not essentially the same because of the exit row and bulkhead seats. <shrugs>

(The person I responded to also implied that other planes besides a 737 were better because they had exit rows and bulkhead seats, which was like saying he likes apples better than watermelon because watermelon has seeds. They both have seeds.)
Just checked Seat Guru and yes, there is a bloody difference between seats on WN:

Apparently it's been a while since I've flown WN, and I was under the impression that WN's no frills model meant they packed the seats up to the rafters like FR and U2! Will keep that in mind should I ever fly WN!

-James
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
All airplanes have seats that differ slightly, or greatly, from one another. The 19 seat Beechcraft 1900 turboprop has one crummy seat... the middle seat in the last row, because it's the only middle seat on the plane. All the others (except the window seats in the last row) are both window and aisle.

It's also a personal choice. Someone might like the middle seat in the last row of the B1900 because you have unlimited legroom since the aisle is in front of you.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just checked Seat Guru and yes, there is a bloody difference between seats on WN:

Apparently it's been a while since I've flown WN, and I was under the impression that WN's no frills model meant they packed the seats up to the rafters like FR and U2! Will keep that in mind should I ever fly WN!

-James
No worries. Let's go skipping.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP, UA 1P
Certainly on the MAX I doubt there will be much legroom for anyone!
You'd be incorrect. On Southwest's Max (and -800) aircraft, legroom is excellent, with 32-33" seat pitch on every seat. It's more legroom than standard economy on AA, DL, and UA, and about the same as American's Main Cabin Extra on their Max.
kennycrudup and roundtree like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:24 pm

SeatGuru
roundtree likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CA1900
You'd be incorrect. On Southwest's Max (and -800) aircraft, legroom is excellent, with 32-33" seat pitch on every seat. It's more legroom than standard economy on AA, DL, and UA, and about the same as American's Main Cabin Extra on their Max.
Don't forget about seat width too. It's less than an inch more, but the seats are wider on the Max as well (thanks @LegalTender for the reminder!).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Don't realize that - I always thought 737MAXs had cramped cabins designed to maximize revenue at the cost of comfort (a.k.a the accountant's plane) - I suppose that must be an American thing

-James
roundtree likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.