Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more SW for me...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
It is not disclosed anywhere officially, but reps have verified on other forums that it is so.
This makes no sense. If I have a connecting flight and buy EB I am checked in 36 hours before my outbound flight. My connecting flight is even later so it is to my benefit. Passengers on that flight as an outbound are not getting checked in yet

If my outbound flight is someone’s connecting flight then they are getting checked in with EB even earlier than my 36 hour time stamp. So there is that but with WNs business model it’s probably a high percentage of flights are connecting flights at some point.

There definitely is a benefit to the auto check in whether it’s with A List priority check in or EB. If you feel the need to analyze and weigh the benefits and factor in time zones and connecting flights and other data points then just don’t buy it and click at 24 hours.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by diver858
My apologies. Did you try calling to ask if they would seat you in one of the preferred seats?
1. I know plenty of people who choose not to reserve a seat in the back of the bus at time of booking, end up sitting in a preferred or economy plus seat at check-in.
2. When traveling alone, in a preferred seat, I have been asked by a gate agent to move (often an upgrade) to accommodate a party of 2 or more who either not issues seats at booking, missed a connection, etc.
3. When traveling alone, without status, my wife asks the agent nicely, typically is comped an economy plus seat (AA, AS).
Nah, not a big deal. I really don't care that much if I am a couple of rows further back. Interestingly, I did just check my reservation and they are trying to sell fewer seats as preferred now, so I did move up a couple of rows. Still behind the exit rows on the 737-8 (in front on the E145. As a side note, the idea that rows 5 and 6 are preferred on the E145 (or any rows for that matter) and should cost $21/seat to select is laughable.). I will be travelling with my wife, so we will happily sit in the seats we have selected (not that I wouldn't take an E+ seat for free if offered).
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by PlaneJane1

This makes no sense. If I have a connecting flight and buy EB I am checked in 36 hours before my outbound flight. My connecting flight is even later so it is to my benefit. Passengers on that flight as an outbound are not getting checked in yet

If my outbound flight is someone’s connecting flight then they are getting checked in with EB even earlier than my 36 hour time stamp. So there is that but with WNs business model it’s probably a high percentage of flights are connecting flights at some point.

There definitely is a benefit to the auto check in whether it’s with A List priority check in or EB. If you feel the need to analyze and weigh the benefits and factor in time zones and connecting flights and other data points then just don’t buy it and click at 24 hours.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

EBCI works this way: At t-36 all passengers on that flight who have bought EBCI are ranked and assigned boarding positions. AT first, followed by everyone else according to the time stamp on the EBCI purchase.

It doesn't matter whether that particular flight is originating or connecting for any specific passenger. Each passenger is simply ranked among all other EBCI passengers on that particular flight.

It's pretty simple, really.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

EBCI works this way: At t-36 all passengers on that flight who have bought EBCI are ranked and assigned boarding positions. AT first, followed by everyone else according to the time stamp on the EBCI purchase.

It doesn't matter whether that particular flight is originating or connecting for any specific passenger. Each passenger is simply ranked among all other EBCI passengers on that particular flight.

It's pretty simple, really.
Actually, unlike t-24 checkin, there is no benefit with EBCI on a connecting flight

I have to wonder how often you fly WN as you always seems to parrot others thoughts and opinions. I was responding to your claim that EB has no benefit on a connecting flight. Clearly it can, as I explained. If you still don’t understand, I’m sorry that you’re confused.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by PlaneJane1
Actually, unlike t-24 checkin, there is no benefit with EBCI on a connecting flight

I have to wonder how often you fly WN as you always seems to parrot others thoughts and opinions. I was responding to your claim that EB has no benefit on a connecting flight. Clearly it can, as I explained. If you still don’t understand, I’m sorry that you’re confused.
Lol. You must be new here. I've been accused of many things (usually of being anti-Southwest) but parroting other's opinions is a new one.

FYI: I fly WN frequently, and have since the 90's. I had a partner who was an FA for 7 years, and have several friends who are employees now. I currently have a relationship with the company (the specifics of which I'm unable to disclose) that affords me access to information.

To be clear: The EBCI benefit one receives on a connecting flight is the same one receives on an originating flight. You are checked in at t-36, and assigned position based on rank within the passengers of that particular flight. As I just explained in the previous post.

Earlier in this thread, it was suggested that somehow EBCI purchasers received extra benefit on connecting flights -- similar to how passengers who check themselves in manually at t-24 do. (That they are automatically checked in earlier than t-36.)
​You seemed to be arguing that point as well (forgive me if I'm wrong, as I said it was hard to understand exactly what you meant).

But that's not true.

EBCI purchasers receive no extra benefit on their connecting flights.

If you were simply stating that EBCI purchasers receive the regular EBCI benefit (t-36 check-in) then I apologize.

Hopefully this makes sense to you now.
roundtree likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Before I made A-List, was glad they increased EBCI costs to cut the number people buying it. That said, a lot of my WN flying is SFO/OAK-BUR, and the WN experience on a 1 hour flight in 10C isn't much different from 22C, especially when you can exit the plane through the back door at BUR.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Before I made A-List, was glad they increased EBCI costs to cut the number people buying it. That said, a lot of my WN flying is SFO/OAK-BUR, and the WN experience on a 1 hour flight in 10C isn't much different from 22C, especially when you can exit the plane through the back door at BUR.
Agreed and have to ask, "what's the point of early boarding a WN flight?" at most these flights last what 4-5 hours? That's short-haul in my book and shouldn't be a concern where you sit (even middle seat!). An argument could be made about being able to place items in overhead bin albeit given checked bags are free on WN, I doubt there is much of a struggle finding overhead bin space.

-James
rickg523 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I doubt there is much of a struggle finding overhead bin space.

-James
Actually, there is more than you would think. Before I made A list, I always bot early boarding for that reason. That, and I won’t fly in a middle. I’d rather walk.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by jco613
Well first of all, I'm glad you will never fly Air Nambia (IATA SW) again. i wouldn't fly them either!

Southwest expressly states that EBCI is not a guaranteed "A" position, just that it checks you in 36 hours in advance. I check in at T-24 and constantly get low B and sometimes high B. Around this time of year, I get A a lot because many once a year customers check in at the airport.

I think you could give me a list of 100 reasons you wouldn't fly Southwest again, and while I could argue most of them with you, this would not be a good reason. First world problems at its finest here.
Checked in at T. 24 for a SJC-PHX flight and got A 43-45 with no EBCI or A List. We're not complaining.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:25 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Agreed and have to ask, "what's the point of early boarding a WN flight?" at most these flights last what 4-5 hours? That's short-haul in my book and shouldn't be a concern where you sit (even middle seat!). An argument could be made about being able to place items in overhead bin albeit given checked bags are free on WN, I doubt there is much of a struggle finding overhead bin space.

-James
I like to look out the window, so I'd board early for that. I also have broad shoulders so middle seats could be considered a form of torture.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:38 am

Agreed and have to ask, "what's the point of early boarding a WN flight?" at most these flights last what 4-5 hours? That's short-haul in my book and shouldn't be a concern where you sit (even middle seat!).
'Priority boarding' is a marketing scheme on nearly every airline. It suggests hundreds of millions prize it. EBCI was promoted to reduce anxiety.

"Since you’re boarding earlier, there will be more open seats and overhead bin space from which to choose. Then you can sit back and relax as the other passengers board."
EBCI arguably stemmed a downturn:

The discount airline, based in Dallas, lost $37 million in the first six months of this year, and analysts expect that 2009 will be its first unprofitable year since the early 1970s.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by LegalTender
'Priority boarding' is a marketing scheme on nearly every airline. It suggests hundreds of millions prize it. EBCI was promoted to reduce anxiety.
Early / priority boarding virtually guarantees your roll aboard makes it on to the flight, avoid the risk of being forced to gate check a bag.
LegalTender and roundtree like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Agreed and have to ask, "what's the point of early boarding a WN flight?" at most these flights last what 4-5 hours? That's short-haul in my book and shouldn't be a concern where you sit (even middle seat!).
The willingness of Americans to pay for 'preferred' seats and Economy+ seats on tens (if not hundreds) of millions of itineraries proves you wrong. Few people want middle seats or even seats at the back. Watch what sections fill first on a WN flight.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Can someone explain to me the mystique behind choosing a seat on a 737? Aren't all seats on said aircraft more or less equal? I can understand if it was a 757/767/777/787 where there exist bulkhead and emergency exit seats that make a real difference.

Safe Travels,

James
WN's 737s have emergency exit seats and bulkhead seats - some of the best bulkhead seats for legroom in the air. @:-)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
WN's 737s have emergency exit seats and bulkhead seats - some of the best bulkhead seats for legroom in the air. @:-)
And some of the window seats toward the front have less shoulder room on the fuselage side.

Plus seats near the lav are, you know, less appealing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.