Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more SW for me...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by ursine1
Just to be clear -- since you repeated it twice, and may not be aware: OP may not actually be "better than anyone who did T-24."

Southwest re-issues the boarding positions of passengers who are checked in but then change or cancel their flight. This allows the next random person who did not pay the extra fee to snag that position. They are often low A positions and this happens not-infrequently.
Yes, definately, but I don't think it happens often enough or predictably enough to be counted upon reliably. Its just luck.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:48 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Up to individual preference I suppose. Even with a mid-B, there's still a lot of agency you have to choose a desirable seat (though yes, likely aft of the exit rows if you want a window/aisle). I know people always talk about paying on another airline for an assigned seat, though as a Delta flyer, there's plenty of discussion in the DL forum among people who find their seats changed due to equipment swaps, GA changes, accommodations for other passengers, etc (and lots of infrequent flyers who get very dismayed upon finding out that their seat assignment isn't guaranteed) - not to mention other passengers asking to swap! Which is all to say, regarding seat assignments, feel free to pick whatever airline best suits your needs, but there's never a perfect solution.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Mosaic
Friends don't let friends fly SouthWest. Ok, old stuff, but I have only flown SW a couple times. After purchasing Early-Bird have a "B" boarding position. No thanks, ever again. I will get a paid seat on all my flights elsewhere. Yes, I understand that no one cares except me and I will not be missed... As if my $750.00 r/t PIT to FLL is not enough.
If you paid $750... you had to be within a few $$ of a full fare flight which gets you A1-a15 boarding. I am guessing you bought your ticket close to flying date which other than full fare/business fare would put your early boarding back in the que for early bird.

Still.... we encourage friends to fly Southwest. And, it appears the American public agrees. They are the largest domestic carrier out there.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mosaic
Friends don't let friends fly SouthWest. Ok, old stuff, but I have only flown SW a couple times. After purchasing Early-Bird have a "B" boarding position. No thanks, ever again. I will get a paid seat on all my flights elsewhere. Yes, I understand that no one cares except me and I will not be missed... As if my $750.00 r/t PIT to FLL is not enough.
BYE
BearX220, steved5480 and NextTrip like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Curious... with a B pass... did you still get your preffered aisle or window? And bags in overhead?
NextTrip likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:06 pm

Been using WN for several years on short routes, and would likely never buy ECBI--only makes sense for seat savers. In addition, not sure if it's just SFO, but there's always a legion of pre-boarders & abled body people accompanying the one or two wheel chairs. All of which makes ECBI a poor value, in my view. Want early boarding, just do whatever these cheesers are doing to get on the pre-board list.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Yes, definately, but I don't think it happens often enough or predictably enough to be counted upon reliably. Its just luck.
Fair enough. While I do believe it actually happens fairly frequently, it's definitely not predictable.

My point was that, earlier you said "You were ahead of each and every passenger who checked in at T-24," and, unfortunately, that's not definitively true.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LegalTender
You're told it is assigned, but it isn't accessible until the 24-hour mark.

Why is that?
The position is assigned and held for you. No airline in the US allows you to check in before T-24, thus SW not providing your boarding position to you until T-24. As A-list+, my position is also assigned at T-36, while not being available check-in until 12 hours later.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by aaronp84
The position is assigned and held for you. No airline in the US allows you to check in before T-24, thus SW not providing your boarding position to you until T-24. As A-list+, my position is also assigned at T-36, while not being available check-in until 12 hours later.
There's no reason WN can't disclose your boarding assignment. Every other carrier assigns a seat and reveals what it is. Days/weeks/hours before T-36.

EBCI purchased 6 months in advance should give you pole position. But the liberal change policy means more A-list assignments get re-issued late. Boarding order is incessantly short-circuited.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
There's no reason WN can't disclose your boarding assignment. Every other carrier assigns a seat and reveals what it is. Days/weeks/hours before T-36.

EBCI purchased 6 months in advance should give you pole position. But the liberal change policy means more A-list assignments get re-issued late. Boarding order is incessantly short-circuited.
What is to gained by the boarding assignment revealed when assigned? I don't understand your beef.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
What is to gained by the boarding assignment revealed when assigned? I don't understand your beef.
I suspect most people buying months out would appreciate the head's-up. You like surprises? What's gained for the airline holding the info, other than it might show the actual system to be spasmodic?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Early Bird is a scam, and makes no promise of an A boarding pass.

WN is selling a solution to a problem they have created..monetizing the boarding scrum they have created by not having assigned seating. Diabolical! I can see Herb, rubbing his hands together and saying "Excellent!" as the EBCI dollars roll in. Equally narcissitic people will still buy it..but only to save a whole row for their C boarding pass companions, safe in the knowledge the FA's won't intervene.
joshua362 and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I suspect most people buying months out would appreciate the head's-up. You like surprises? What's gained for the airline holding the info, other than it might show the actual system to be spasmodic?
Are they going to send out a email evertime some changes or cancels who is in front and changes the order? If this really bothers you, I am not sure Southwest is the right airline for you.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Early Bird is a scam, and makes no promise of an A boarding pass.

WN is selling a solution to a problem they have created..monetizing the boarding scrum they have created by not having assigned seating. Diabolical! I can see Herb, rubbing his hands together and saying "Excellent!" as the EBCI dollars roll in. Equally narcissitic people will still buy it..but only to save a whole row for their C boarding pass companions, safe in the knowledge the FA's won't intervene.
I do not think it is a scam, but I do agree WN is making some good money doing it. It really does work for folks that would be a C and now get an A or B with no worry.

And, I agree way more people buy that they need to, but it makes them feel good.

As to people that save seats - there are already 4,289 threads about that. Result: there is no result - LOL)

Back to the scam thing - maybe the person buying only one early board and saving seats is the scamster - again - LOL.. If they paid for 3 EBCI, the result to other passengers would be the same (3 seats taken) and SW would have more money. Who is the scammer now? LOL LOL LOL Please don't beat on this seat saving dead horse anymore...LOL LOL
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

Are they going to send out a email evertime some changes or cancels who is in front and changes the order?
They don't do it now, so no. Boarding order is marketed as painstakingly regulated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.