Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick trip advise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Quick trip advise

Ok, pros, due life happening, we were not able to use our companion pass very much. It expires Dec 31 and I would love to plan a quick getaway. I know this sounds silly, but I’m struggling to find a place that sounds good. I don’t want a long flight (I’m on the east coast), I don’t want to fight a huge crowd. Anyone have any quick trip ideas?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:10 pm

Not really a companion pass question, you want to take a quick vacation...where would you want to go??? What do you like to do???
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

You are right. Wrong forum. I was just hoping someone else had the same thoughts in the past and could share how they used theirs for one last trip. Somewhere in a couple of hours flying distance would be nice since we don’t have many days to spend. I’m really not sure what places to avoid during the holidays. Hubby and I work...a lot and farm...a lot so we haven’t traveled extensively. The typical places that are coming to mind I’m worried will be crazy crowded. So we are really open to anyone’s thoughts. We don’t ski, and I’m too old to learn so that ones out.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:34 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
It'd be helpful to know your home airport(s) that you'd be flying out of, as it sounds like you'd probably prefer a short direct flight to a location, rather than having to connect somewhere. That might help narrow down on possible destinations.
No skiing, but do you have other preferences about going to more urban places or rural places; doing indoor or outdoor activities, other things you like to do, etc?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

We would be flying out of RDU or CLT. Some things I thought of were NYC, but it could be very crowded and very cold. Also, we have never been to Universal but again, there’s probably a much better time to go when it would be less crowded. We are digging out of 18” of snow from yesterday so something warm is sounding good. Thank you for replying!!!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ryw
It'd be helpful to know your home airport(s) that you'd be flying out of, as it sounds like you'd probably prefer a short direct flight to a location, rather than having to connect somewhere. That might help narrow down on possible destinations.
No skiing, but do you have other preferences about going to more urban places or rural places; doing indoor or outdoor activities, other things you like to do, etc?
Agreed.

If you are looking for a short flight, direct is obviously the best choice. I would suggest you go on the southwest website, pull up their route map, and see which airports you can fly to directly. From there, maybe look at pricing and available routes (departure/arrival times). These things alone should narrow down your options quite a bit.
iamamy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by iamamy
Ok, pros, due life happening, we were not able to use our companion pass very much. It expires Dec 31 and I would love to plan a quick getaway. I know this sounds silly, but I’m struggling to find a place that sounds good. I don’t want a long flight (I’m on the east coast), I don’t want to fight a huge crowd. Anyone have any quick trip ideas?

We just got back from Fort Lauderdale Beach, beautiful weather and no crowds

RDU has Nonstop flights to FLL that are under 2 hours
iamamy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
If you're closer to RDU, that would be the airport I would start looking at the non stops from there. RDU might be the easiest airport I have ever flown out of. How about New Orleans? A city to be enjoyed in small doses. The route map shows non-stops to there, but when I pick some dates I don't see any.

Last edited by birdiedouble; Dec 10, 2018 at 3:12 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Middle of December is not a bad time for the big theme parks. Many take extra time at Thanksgiving and Christmas and do not take kids out of school between he two.

Sure, NYC is busy, but still a great place to visit this time of year.

I would look up where they have direct - oops - I mean NONSTOP flights first.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/routemap_dyn.html

Just looking, from CLT it is only BWI, Dallas, Houston, Chicago and Nashville. Nashville is chilly, but could be fun.
iamamy likes this.

Last edited by ftnoob; Dec 12, 2018 at 6:46 pm Reason: Tweak URL
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:51 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Consider flying non-stop from RDU to TPA (Tampa), and driving to somewhere like Clearwater Beach.
iamamy likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Consider flying non-stop from RDU to TPA (Tampa), and driving to somewhere like Clearwater Beach.

Just be aware that the Clearwater beach area may be kind of cool this time of year, I love North Redington Beach ( 20 minutes South of Clearwater Beach) but for our Florida trips this time of year we head farther south to FLL or RSW

The extra 5 - 10 degrees can make a big difference, 66 degrees is not beach weather, 75 is
joshua362, roundtree and iamamy like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN RR, DL SM, Hilton, Marriott, National
Got passports? Non-stop down to FLL then bounce over to the DR, Nassau, or Montego Bay.
roundtree likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bluesman62
Got passports? Non-stop down to FLL then bounce over to the DR, Nassau, or Montego Bay.
Or Aruba, or any of the other Caribbean destinations that WN has added. This is one of the best uses of CP, IMO. On top of all the other travel that my wife and I do every year, we also set aside at least one winter break for the Caribbean to enjoy some sun while others freeze needlessly.
iamamy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.