Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

CNN reporting SW plane skids off BUR runway upon landing

CNN reporting SW plane skids off BUR runway upon landing

Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
So was it the Malibu mud slides that did it or the 10 knot tailwind, in the rain, on a short runway.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
"AIRCRAFT MISHAP"

Whether or not that's an official term, that sh*t is funny.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Cool. Does a NOTAM go out mentioning that it's been damaged? (I ask paradoxically I guess, as "if you need it, you NEED it" and I guess I can't imagine that knowing it's out of service could factor into a pilot's decision, but of course I have zero idea ....)
What remains of it is still usable, and hasn't been prohibited by the NOTAM, which only mentions that it's NOT STD (Not standard)..
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
"AIRCRAFT MISHAP"

Whether or not that's an official term, that sh*t is funny.
Any time there's an incident or accident, standard practice is to augment (via a human) the automated ASOS wx observation with such a remark.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Ditka
.....or the 10 knot tailwind, in the rain, on a short runway.
I don't even understand why you'd choose to attempt a landing with that set of conditions. I doubt that it was ever going to work.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by jb747
I don't even understand why you'd choose to attempt a landing with that set of conditions. I doubt that it was ever going to work.
Burbank's runway is 2,000 ft longer than Branson/Taney. It can handle a Southwest landing with 40 feet to spare.

Hard to know who decided to keep BUR open rather than halt landings for a few minutes. The CVR will have any deliberations.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:46 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Is it me, or is Southwest having more than its share of runway overruns in the last few years? They also overran BUR the same way in snow about a decade ago right?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
MDW. (If BUR has enough snow to cause runway excursions, we've got bigger issues!)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Is it me, or is Southwest having more than its share of runway overruns in the last few years? They also overran BUR the same way in snow about a decade ago right?
Snow in BUR? Umm, no!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:15 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Snow in BUR? Umm, no!
Oops. I guess I conflated 2 incidents:
  1. March 2000, Southwest 1455 overran end of BUR runway into the fence (which partly led to the installation of the EMAS that you see today)
  2. December 2005, Southwest 1248 overran runway at MDW in snow, hitting a car and killing 1 passenger
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by TA
3 over runs in 18 years for an airline that has more landings at short runways than most others is not 'more than its share'. Perhaps I am missing some?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TA
March 2000, Southwest 1455 overran end of BUR runway into the fence (which partly led to the installation of the EMAS that you see today)
Check out those gas prices.

Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Hard to know who decided to keep BUR open rather than halt landings for a few minutes. The CVR will have any deliberations.
Airports in the United States do not close because of weather, nor do controllers withhold clearances. Decision is made by pilots and dispatchers.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Check out those gas prices.

And check out that paint job! Looooong time ago for both those gas prices and paint scheme!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by NextTrip
And check out that paint job! Looooong time ago for both those gas prices and paint scheme!
Similar conditions. Wet Runway 8, squalls and wind at 250-270 degrees.

Wind from 250 degrees true at 6 knots, visibility 10 statute miles, ceiling overcast
at 9,500 feet, temperature 9 degrees [C] (48 degrees F), dew point temperature
0 degrees C (32 degrees F), altimeter 29.66 inches of hg.

BUR reported that 0.77 inch of rain had fallen in the 8 hours before the
accident and that a wind shift associated with a cold frontal passage had occurred. Runway 8 was
wet at the time of the accident.
NTSB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.