Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long for refund to post to credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
How long for refund to post to credit card?

I searched on this and couldn't find anything. A flight I was going to take 2 weeks ago was canceled due to weather and I didn't rebook. I called and they said it would be refunded to my cc but it would take 1 to 2 billing cycles. That seems insane to me, wondering if anyone out there has real data on how long it actually takes the refund to post?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Literally days, if even that long. That is the standard spiel developed so you don't keep calling back & asking.

The type of card probably has more to do with it, for instance I can make an AMEX charge today and download it tomorrow while Citibank may take 4 days to post although you can see a pending charge in real time.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Seeing a pending charge and seeing a pending credit are 2 different things. Pending charges do show up almost immediately. Pending credits do not , at least on any card I have. I have seen credits take up to 10 days to post from the time the merchant authorized it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It should take 2-3 days for the credit to hit your card issuer (bank). How long it takes the issuer is a matter of internal process. The larger issuers such as Amex, Chase, Citi and the like will all hit the next business day after receiving the credit advice.

The 2-3 card cycles thing dates to the 1980's and I suppose stops people from calling back. But, it's ridiculous.

If you don't have your credit in another week, file a dispute. You will have a temporary credit and it will eventually resolve itself because WN won't contest it or the credit will show up.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Well I did some research and it turns out they issued me travel funds instead of the cc refund. That's fine for me because I can use them but it was an Anytime fare and the rep specifically said it will be refunded to my Mastercard. I can see how an infrequent flyer would get annoyed by this since I specifically booked Anytime since I wasn't 100% sure about taking the trip anyway.

This is good info to leave here in case anyone searches for it in the future.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not only "annoying": but a direct violation of the fare rules and an unfair and deceptive practice under DOT's rules.

There are many people who fly WN a lot and will thus use the funds, but who nonetheless need to have the funds refunded to a CC because it is for business purposes and the next trip may be billed to a different client (external or internal) and few businesses want to account for WN's internal funding system.

If you want the refund to your CC, go ahead and have WN do it right,
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:40 am

FWIW, credit going back to a debit card takes more time as well, I surmise they are playing games with the float.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
DOT rules permit a longer time for refunds in cash/debit cards than they do for credit cards.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
DOT rules permit a longer time for refunds in cash/debit cards than they do for credit cards.
Good to know although I was stating that in the general course of payment processing. I get calls & complaints all the time from debit card users although I've done my part immediately. (non DOT regulated business).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
* As to using Debit card vs credit card - someday I will figure out why people do this. Make ZERO sense to me.

* Taking advantage of the float - yea, with these sky high interest rates, they must be making millions - LOL!

* Delta has done this twice to me on a fully refundable fare. A phone call fixed it.

* As to bother calling about getting a refund. I would agree with the poster that said "no big deal" - as they will use it soon anyways.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:34 am

No longer the option of refund to credit card when using RR points

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that SW is no longer offering to ‘refund back to credit card’ when canceling a sw rapid reward ticket. Just canceled a flight today and the only option was for them to issue me travel funds. Hate this change!! Who wants to keep up with confirmation numbers and the $5.60, $11,20, etc left to use? Seems like a way for them to get more money from us since so many travel funds go unused yearly.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
* As to using Debit card vs credit card - someday I will figure out why people do this. Make ZERO sense to me.

* Taking advantage of the float - yea, with these sky high interest rates, they must be making millions - LOL!

* Delta has done this twice to me on a fully refundable fare. A phone call fixed it.

* As to bother calling about getting a refund. I would agree with the poster that said "no big deal" - as they will use it soon anyways.

I often use a debit card and it works every time. I spend money I actually have. Never had an issue.

...And the whole ‘float’ thing is just stupid. Really, you are going to float a charge to make a penny or two interest? Give me a break.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by cslovacek

I often use a debit card and it works every time. I spend money I actually have. Never had an issue...
Totally agree. Most people have no "issues" with debit cards. Reasons I do not use one:

1 - It is the same account that pays mortgage, etc. If it gets hacked, it is messy. Not so with CC.

2 - There are differences in fraud protection. Never an issue with CC. (okay.. almost never - always a few rare exceptions)

3 - I get points. Lots of points.

4 - No limit - or at least very little limit on spending if needed. Debit care is limited to current bank balance.

5 - Holds. Hotels and similar businesses can put a hold that becomes annoying. No so with CC unless you have a very low limit card.

6 - And to be fair, there is a big negative with a CC vs Debit for some folks. With a debit, you are paying NOW. With CC you pay next month, which may be a problem with some folks.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by kbzsk
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that SW is no longer offering to ‘refund back to credit card’ when canceling a sw rapid reward ticket. Just canceled a flight today and the only option was for them to issue me travel funds. Hate this change!! Who wants to keep up with confirmation numbers and the $5.60, $11,20, etc left to use? Seems like a way for them to get more money from us since so many travel funds go unused yearly.
Are you sure that this reservation charge (the security charge, etc) was originally paid by credit card and not travel funds, etc? I make and change SWA rapid reward reservations all the time, and almost always have the money refunded to my credit card for the reasons you state -- its a PITA to keep up with confirmation numbers, etc. However, if you have made any change to the reservation, the amount becomes non refundable for some reason known only to the SWA IT folks. Changing the reservation would seem to be less of a burden on the system, and you would think that would be encouraged but instead you are actually penalized. Better to book an entirely new reservation and then cancel the original, unchanged reservation, and that should preserve the refund option for the security deposit unless SWA policy has again changed in the last week or so. All this presumes that you have enough points floating in your account to make a new reservation before you cancel the old one.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:35 pm

The system limitation that caused non-refundablility of changed itineraries was fixed months ago.

If you're not offered the option on the fees portion of a points booking, you probably used travel funds, a voucher, or a gift card. If that's not true, contact Customer Relations and they will issue the refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.