Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN GA mocks 5 y.o. girl’s name, posts photo of BP on Facebook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN GA mocks 5 y.o. girl’s name, posts photo of BP on Facebook

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
A Boy Named Sue springs to mind here...
steved5480 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
https://abc7.com/travel/oc-southwest...-name/4784236/

GA should be fired. Case closed, the end.
it’s bad yes. But a lot doesn’t add up

No remarks were made at airport to Mom or child. Child was not aware of any ridicule. This was said by Mom in her own fb post.

Mom finds out 2 weeks later that the employee had posts on internet. Who told her?

Third party, who was not at airport, filed complaint with SW.

Mom THEN filed complaint with SW.

Its been less than a week since Mom reached out to SW. I’m sure they are investigating and taking measures against employee.

Mom, who was so traumatized and humiliated by the posts CHOOSES to repost them on Facebook and goes to the news.

Now by this point Abcde probably knows about it and may feel upset. Maybe not. But Mom has now brought this to the public instead of handling this privately to protect her daughter.

If Mom wants to protect her daughter and spare her ridicule she sure handled it poorly.

If she wants her 15 minutes and a payday she handled it perfectly.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
She says she did multiple times. No response.
That first complaint was not by the mom but by someone who saw the agents FB posts. Someone she knew ratted her out.

Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by PlaneJane1
Mom, who was so traumatized and humiliated by the posts CHOOSES to repost them on Facebook and goes to the news.
​​​​​​
Sure..why not? Those posts documented examples of ridicule and mocking allegedly by the same agent at the same airport. Not her first rodeo.

She did some digging when a friend pointed out her daughter's boarding pass was online. The timing is irrelevant. Would have done the same thing.

We don't know who complained first, second or third to SWA. Like that clears up anything.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
​​​​​​
Sure..why not? Those posts documented examples of ridicule and mocking allegedly by the same agent at the same airport. Not her first rodeo.

She did some digging when a friend pointed out her daughter's boarding pass was online. The timing is irrelevant. Would have done the same thing.

We don't know who complained first, second or third to SWA. Like that clears up anything.
Except we do know. Facts matter. I wasn’t referencing the other posts by the employee, just the ones about Abcde.
The mom choose to circulate them more. If her goal was to protect her daughter and try to get accountability by the employee and SW, publicly repeating the posts wasn’t necessary. I wouldn’t keep sharing something that was hurtful.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Honestly, you hang that moniker on a kid and you’re shocked.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:14 pm

Except we do know. Facts matter. I wasn’t referencing the other posts by the employee, just the ones about Abcde.
The mom choose to circulate them more. If her goal was to protect her daughter and try to get accountability by the employee and SW, publicly repeating the posts wasn’t necessary. I wouldn’t keep sharing something that was hurtful.
The mother thought "publicly repeating" the agent's other posts mocking and ridiculing SNA passengers might bring accountability. How was that "hurtful" to her 5-year-old?

The complaint order is incidental. And settles nothing.

Ms. Redford told broadcaster ABC7 that the airline "hadn't done anything" for two weeks after she had filed a formal complaint. - BBC News
"Somebody who had seen it on Facebook and reported it to Southwest Airlines. And after two weeks of doing a formal complaint, Southwest hadn't done anything," said Redford. - ABC7
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:17 pm

You people kill me.

I had a secretary who gave her children abstractions of traditional African names. To some (ignorant) people, they were funny.

I may have found them unusual, or perhaps even humorous. Yet I was intelligent enough to realize that mocking them publically would be a stupid thing to do. (Note: The intelligence required to understand this is not huge.)

The GA deserves to be fired, for multiple reasons.

I doubt that will happen.
screeton likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ursine1
abstractions of traditional African names
... at least that's what she told you, Colonizer!
LadyShiva likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM

If she wants her 15 minutes and a payday she handled it perfectly.
I reckon this isn't the first nor last time this mother faced/s such a situation.
Giving your child such a name AND then broadcasting this event on social media, has a definite Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy feel to it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Get real- as most burglars aren't very omniscient, unless there's a Burglar's Handbook with a chapter headed "Addresses of people who name their children stupid isht", how would they know where they live?!
Plenty of burglars follow the obituaries, to find names of people who are likely to be away at funerals. This kind of thing gets easier all the time.

Farcetched maybe, but the odds are not zero.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
This is why we should have a law that requires parents to select a name from a book of names, to prevent this kind of idiocy.
joshua362, Tanic and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Reminds me of Chris Rock's take on the Farfignewton car and commercial years ago.

I thought I was giving my son a somewhat unique name last year but it ranked in the low100's per the social security administration in 2017.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Many, many moons ago, I worked for an airline that had a training setup, that mirrored the real thing, in order to give us "real world" experience on how to navigate the archaic res system they used. Whenever we were assigned to a particular piece of training, we were given a fictional name, fictional city pairs, fictional pricing, and fictional, various situations that we had to complete to pass the class. For example, we would have passengers, party of two "Smith/Abcd/Efgh" traveling "CCC-DDD".

To be honest I don't know if WN has anything similar set up, but when I first opened the article the picture of the boarding pass appeared first before the article. My initial reaction was that this has to be a fake. Imagine my surprise when I learned the mother actually named her child that. And imagine my surprise that shes not the only person who named their child Abcde.

This is in no way condoning the agents actions. We could never take pictures at work, let alone post them on social media.Granted this was in the era of the first generation iPhone so it was much more complicated than today, but then again the strangest names at the time were Zappa's kids.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
This is why we should have a law that requires parents to select a name from a book of names, to prevent this kind of idiocy.
No. Absolutely not.

Government is already about 10x as important in our lives as it should be. That's why a huge fraction of the country went almost literally insane over Brett Kavanaugh's nomination. We should not have to THINK about Washington, DC more than once a month.

When the girl gets to be 18 she can change the name if she likes. If it really bugs her, she can ask mom to change it before that. Her mom can tell her, as mentioned in the article, that there are mean people out there who should be ignored, which is a good life lesson anyway. I got the sense the girl is not bothered by her unusual name.
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.